Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times

Advertisements

Trucks look ok lifted when done right, have you ever seen a lifted truck with standard tires, now that looks cheesy. What I don't like is to see a nice truck that is slammed, what the point in that. I use my truck to haul things in and if I slammed it I would be able to haul anything in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM

88 posts, read 687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
The truck itself is not ruined, it could always be put back.

I don't think it speaks to the class of the vehicle or the owner. Many different people do many different modifications to all types of cars for all types of reasons. Some for practical uses, some for performance and some just for looks. People can do what they wish with their time and money and there will always be someone to rag on them about it. Besides there are plenty of "low class" people driving around in stock vehicles of all types, including your beloved stock height trucks.

To me, trucks that actually see the trails or mud or sand should be lifted to whatever the owner thinks is the right set up for their particular use. I am always happy to see a truck that is filthy and even a little beat up from obvious offroad use.

For street use I think a few inches, maybe even up to 6 inches looks good on most trucks. Anything more than that is overkill and is actually diminishing the benifits of added ground clearance with a higher center of gravity.

I personally am more dissapointed by lowered trucks than extremely lifted ones. But to each their own.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I use my truck to haul things in and if I slammed it I would be able to haul anything in it.
Wrong. My slammed truck has hauled plenty of full loads in the bed. My lowered Suburban has pulled my 27' travel trailer. A lowered truck can still be worked just as hard as a stock truck.

These are just a couple of extreme examples. Both trucks are on fully adjustable air suspensions so they can be raised up plenty high to clear any obstacles they encounter on the road.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I really like trucks. To me a classy truck is something that looks like a truck not Big Foot. To me trucks shouldn't be raised. The classic working man's truck like the old Chevy and Ford trucks are really classy. When I see trucks that are raised, it reeks of low class.

Do any of you see raised trucks and non-raised trucks as two different vehicles?
Actually it depends on how high it's lifted and what rim/tire setup you use. Also differs from regions (seriously). Out west it seems they know how to lift and add sweet rim/tire combos, where here in the midwest its more trashy looking. Not stereotyping, just my own observation.
Personally I'm not a truck guy, but i think stock looks best.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 AM

88 posts, read 687,881 times
I stumbled across this law in Wisconsin while looking up something unrelated on the DOT website:

Frequently asked questions about State Patrol enforcement - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

What is the height requirement for vehicle bumpers?
For cars, the requirement is two-inches plus or minus manufacturers' specifications.

Pickup trucks may have up to four-inches plus for tires, and five-inches plus for suspension for a combination of an additional nine-inches over manufacturers specifications.

and

How high can I "lift" my vehicle?
Four inches.

Do other states have a law like this and is it ever enforced?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Personally, I would not touch a raised or lifted truck. Aside from the fact it looks stupid and hampers the performance of the vehicle, I do not wnat any vehicle with major amateur modifications. If it was massively cheaper and I could confirm it could be put back right at a minimal cost, I might consider it. It is kind of like buying a salvage title vehicle. You should get a hefty discount if you are going to take the gamble they did everything right and did not damage the vehicle in ways you cannot see.

Generally to me lifting, lowering, funky wheels, exhaust and the like indicates an immature driver/owner. Bling just for the sake of bling with no performance value says immature driver in big red letters. To me that means a greater possibilty the vehicle was abused. In many cases it will not have bene abused, but in many more, it will have. Thus, I will pass on the risk. Unless the price difference is to great to pass up (e.g. A $20K truck for $15K.).

If I was looking for an off road beater for use off road, I might consider a truck that is lifted if I knew it was lifted for better cleanrance for off road use and not because the onwer thought it would look cool. On the other hand, I have had more experiences with off road vehicles rolling or nearly rolling than I have with insufficinet clearance, that even for off road use, I woudl probably prefer to stick with the design clearnce calulated by a dozen engineers to be safe than a modification someone did in their back yard or at some quickie tweaking shop without really thinking about balance or rolling or safety at all. While off roading is fun, I have no interest in becomming a quadrapeligic.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Personally, I would not touch a raised or lifted truck. Aside from the fact it looks stupid and hampers the performance of the vehicle, I do not wnat any vehicle with major amateur modifications. If it was massively cheaper and I could confirm it could be put back right at a minimal cost, I might consider it. It is kind of like buying a salvage title vehicle. You should get a hefty discount if you are going to take the gamble they did everything right and did not damage the vehicle in ways you cannot see.
I'm much the same.

Seeing a raised truck is almost always the same as seeing one of these "rice grinders" with a different colored hood, and a lowering kit.

You KNOW they've been jacked with - and usually by kids who haven't a clue what they're doing. You also KNOW that they've been beat, and probably beat badly.

It'd have to be one heckuva deal before I'd ever buy a "tuner" or a "mudder."

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Many newer trucks, particularly 1/2 tons, IMO sit too low from the factory. A 4x4 isn't supposed to look like a freekin' lowrider. A modest lift of 2-4 inches helps most newer light duty trucks in the appearance department. I like a bit more lift in conjunction with decent off-road prep, say upgraded axles with lockers, more articulation and bigger tires. If it's actually used, and not some suburban pavement queen.

Worse than a raised truck is a lowered one. What the heck are people thinking slamming nice trucks down into the pavement? Do you like getting high centered on a pot hole or speed bump? Lowering just looks dumb.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What the heck are people thinking slamming nice trucks down into the pavement?
They're thinking that they have the same freedom to lower their trucks as others have to lift their trucks and so they decide to build their trucks to fit their style, their tastes and their needs. Not everyone has to work their trucks hard or take them down the trails.

Pot holes and speed bumps don't stop low sports cars and they don't stop lowered trucks.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post

Pot holes and speed bumps don't stop low sports cars and they don't stop lowered trucks.
They actually do. The people with these cars nearly always have low aspect ratio "rubber band" tires on them. Hitting a speed bump or a pothole often bends the wheel rim and causes a flat tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive