Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,604,970 times

Advertisements

I personally feel like every truck out there needs a bit of a lift. Look at the new Tundra. Great truck, tons of power, nice looking body then they sit it on tiny little wheels and tires. Ironically the optional tires that come on the TRD package are the same size that came stock on my Tacoma back in 2000 and look silly on a full sized. Same goes for a domestics and don't get me started on Jeep.

I think adding a REASONABLE life is almost mandatory if you want to get the full use out of a truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,183,544 times
or just buy the right truck to start with.
Optioned out with things like a tow,plow,& camper packages and or a off road package will give you a higher truck to start with.

I have a stock truck (a Dodge)that has 9 1/2" at the bottom of the front diff and the rocker panels are 23" off of the ground.(stock)

Smaller tires give better millage so does a truck that sits closer to the ground.

but I could see how a toy could use a mild lift.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:38 AM

568 posts, read 2,422,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I love a nice looking lowered truck. Had a 76 GMC Short bed that was lowered 6" all around. That truck just had the right look to it at that angle. I called it the 6 pack. Had a 6" drop, had a 292 Inline 6 with a Clifford setup for that engine. My next step was to find a 6 speed that I could mount to it. Ended up selling it before I completed what I wanted to do to it. We had some great times together though. I personally don't like the jobs where they lower the body so far that the bed is changed so that the axle can fit under it. If you have never seen that, the bed is cut so that the axle can fit under the bed. Many times they leave the hardware visible. At the end of the day I still want it to look like a truck with a flat bed, or one that has been upgraded with a wood bed, even if that truck had a steel bed. LOL
My truck on full air ride, but one thing I refused to do was to cut it up to get it that low. My bed floor is completely un-cut. The truck isn't a daily driver anymore by any means. It's a toy that spends most of its time in the garage, but I do use it every once in a while to haul stuff when I feel my dually is a bit of overkill, so I kept my bed floor intact. I have several friends with bagged trucks and bed floors that either have a hole for the notch and suspension, tubs put over the hole or simply entire raised floors, but none of that fit what I wanted. Those trucks are pretty much never used as trucks and are primarily just toys and show trucks, which is fine.

Quote:
The thing is if the truck is stock, lowered, or raised it is all personal preference. I doubt that you will ever find a time that the builder in me isn't going to want to make some changes to anything that I drive. Many people are like that. Not everyone has to like it.
And that's what it's all about. I have never owned a vehicle that I haven't modified in some way. Sometimes it's just simple little touches that most people wouldn't ever notice and other times I just go all out so that people can't miss it. Custom is king in my house and I can't imagine laying claim to any vehicle that will go untouched.

We live in America, the home of the greatest car culture in the world with an amazing aftermarket for vehicle personalization. What one person does to their vehicle won't always match the tastes of the next person, but it's their vehicle and they're proud of it and that's all that matters in the end.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:01 PM

662 posts, read 1,230,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I personally feel like every truck out there needs a bit of a lift. Look at the new Tundra. Great truck, tons of power, nice looking body then they sit it on tiny little wheels and tires. Ironically the optional tires that come on the TRD package are the same size that came stock on my Tacoma back in 2000 and look silly on a full sized. Same goes for a domestics and don't get me started on Jeep.

I think adding a REASONABLE life is almost mandatory if you want to get the full use out of a truck.
Agreed 100%. It seems like trucks have sat way too low ever since solid front axles suspended by leaf springs went out of style. Any 2wd and most 4x4 pickups since the later '60s sit way too low, especially since makers loved to stick 15" rims on them at that time. My dad had an '89 F-150 4x4 long box SuperCab that had 235/75R15s and about five inches of ground clearance on roughly a 160" wheel base. You had to be really careful with curbs on that one. Newer trucks aren't much better due to fuel economy mandates keeping ride height low and tires small and narrow. Case in point, my '11 F-150 4x4 has weeny little 235/75R17s that are nearly identical to the tires on my wife's '02 AWD Escape and notably smaller than the 265/75R17s on my dad's old '98 F-150 4x4. I hate to pretty much give away new rubber, so I'll put on something sane like 285/75R17s and a 1.5" front level when these current donuts wear out. The prices on decent tires sure suck though!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 AM

38 posts, read 191,235 times
To me trucks is what makes me go crazy, as far as the question of raising a truck makes them bad i dont buy the idea as i h ave seen many beauties that where raised as well as the classic old school types and its more about owners comfort and choice to weather to raise it or not, but one should not make any presumptions on either side.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,183,544 times
Most of use are not making any.
Some of us in your younger years have lifted trucks over 12".
No presumptions, but experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerSmith View Post
, but one should not make any presumptions on either side.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If these vehicles are so perfect then why is there such a huge aftermarket of components to make ones vehicle better?
You’re joking, right? Because there’s always an idiot who thinks he knows better than the engineers of the vehicle and is willing to buy aftermarket products. And there are people willing to make and sell those products to those idiots.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,060,476 times
"Raised" truck are almost always owned by people with to much money and not enough smarts.

Resale on these screwed up trucks is crap unless sold to another looser.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,854,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFlorida1 View Post
You’re joking, right? Because there’s always an idiot who thinks he knows better than the engineers of the vehicle and is willing to buy aftermarket products. And there are people willing to make and sell those products to those idiots.
The auto engineers and designers also have to keep costs in mind so the car will sell. The aftermarket provides consumers the ability to add much better components to a car that would otherwise made the car cost prohibited (for the market) when sold by the maker.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,595,652 times
Lifted trucks (especially in the south) have “redneck or white trash” written all over it. Having 2 huge confederate flags attached confirms those stereotypes.

Having just moved to Fla from the northeast I can tell you that this rings true most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive