U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 6,899,589 times
Reputation: 2255

Advertisements

Honda has been in our family for years and years and have been unbelievably reliable and rarely need serviced, so yeah I'll stick with what has proven to work. I do want a speed car eventually and for that would look into a mustang GT or an old Chevelle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2011, 12:04 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,323 posts, read 20,937,847 times
Reputation: 18436
I prefer Lexus, exclusively. I own a GS and will be replacing it with an LS next year. I may also get a Lexus SUV.

To me, choosing a car is as individual as choosing the brand of shoes to wear. Everyone is different. Lexus vehicles are beautiful, inside and out. I like the feel of them and the ride suits my tastes. Most importantly though, they have been the most reliable vehicles for decades.

The only other car that I would consider is a Mercedes (e.g. S550).

Last edited by LexusNexus; 03-26-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,046 posts, read 5,762,367 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm not surprised, the 2007 tundra was by far the worst toyota truck in recent years. A major Toyota exec said that its problems "brought shame to the company."

the fact that this truck Toyota considered to be "shameful" was tied with Chevy's best truck, oughta say something, don't you think?




It is interesting that you can read what you just wrote, and come to that conclusion.

First, I'm not sure if you're talking about new or used trucks. Reviewing a brand new truck for reliability will not tell you very much about how they hold up over time.

The conclusion I come to is the Tacoma whips the Ranger's ass in every way, in every year, and that this is germane to the discussion, rather than something that can be dismissed as irrelevant.

and the 2000-2006 Tundra whips the F-150 and Silverado's ass, of similar years, when it comes to reliability...

and the 2007-2008 Tundras were the worst Toyota trucks in many years, were a brand new design, and still matched the reliability of the Ford and Chevy trucks that had years to work out the kinks in their designs.

and that the only rational reason to buy a Ford or Chevy truck is if you want something BIGGER than what Toyota offers.

Or a better a truck than toyotas!!! Dodge, Ford or Chevy all have far better trucks that you can USE than the toyota wannabe truck! About the only thing worst for a truck is the honda !
I'd like to see the toyota that whips the chevy or ford's ass. You show it to me in real life, worked day in day out. Show me it out handles the chevy or ford towing a bobcat 331 and 873 on a gooseneck float. You can't, so that statement about toyota trucks being more reliable is just your trying to build up your favorite brand. Work that toyota like we do the Fords, Dodges, and Chevies, and it's a dead side of the road piece of junk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,046 posts, read 5,762,367 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's not an emotional thing as you seem to believe, ....

Additionally, these trucks have long proven themselves to these fleet buyers who rely on them to run their businesses. If the trucks sucked, they wouldn't keep buying them. Plain and simple, Ford and GM put together a hell of a truck for the money.

One other thing to ponder. When Toyota started racing the Tundra in the Craftsmen Truck Series they used a Ford F350 as their tow vehicle...why, because Toyota doesn't make a truck that can do that kind of work.


Yeah, everyone in the pit area was laughing about the F350 as the tow truck of choice if it wasn't a big rig for the toyota teams. Seeing the F350 with the wrap that had toyota written all over it was a riot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,046 posts, read 5,762,367 times
Reputation: 1389
Brand loyalty with me died on new vehicles when Pontiac was cut from gm in 82. Since then, who cares. And yes, I know it took another 27 years for gm to formally kill off Pontiac to build up chevy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 25,169,758 times
Reputation: 6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Brand loyalty with me died on new vehicles when Pontiac was cut from gm in 82.
You lost me here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 95,842,045 times
Reputation: 29790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Do you buy a vehicle based on the merits of that vehicle or because of the badge on the hood?
I'm more interested in the dynamics of the car than the prestige (or lack thereof) associated with the badge. In fact I like having cars that look pedestrian but can go like a scalded cat. That's why I have a Mazdaspeed6. It doesn't look all that fancy and the Mazda badge hardly screams "look at me!" But the car is an absolute stoplight assassin. Unless you know exactly what the car is and the tell-tale signs to identify it (even more difficult since the identifying badges were removed), it will take many a-folk by surprise.

And I'm more than happy to switch marques to get whatever car best suits my wants, needs and budget at any given time. I've owned 4 Fords (married into one of them), a Buick, a Chevy, 2 Dodges (married into one of them), one Mitsubishi, another Mitsubishi badged as an Eagle, a third Mitsubishi badged as a Chrysler, a Saab, a Subaru, a Porsche, a Volkswagen, an Audi, a Nissan, 3 Mazdas, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Last edited by Drover; 03-26-2011 at 03:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,704 posts, read 95,842,045 times
Reputation: 29790
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I prefer Lexus, exclusively. I own a GS and will be replacing it with an LS next year. I may also get a Lexus SUV.

To me, choosing a car is as individual as choosing the brand of shoes to wear. Everyone is different. Lexus vehicles are beautiful, inside and out. I like the feel of them and the ride suits my tastes. Most importantly though, they have been the most reliable vehicles for decades.

The only other car that I would consider is a Mercedes (e.g. S550).
I think once you start getting into the upper echelons of make and model like an LS or a Mercedes S-class, the dealership experience can really make a difference in developing brand loyalty. Not like I'd know personally or anything, but I would imagine...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Eastern NC
20,871 posts, read 20,859,884 times
Reputation: 18759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Or a better a truck than toyotas!!! Dodge, Ford or Chevy all have far better trucks that you can USE than the toyota wannabe truck! About the only thing worst for a truck is the honda !
I'd like to see the toyota that whips the chevy or ford's ass. You show it to me in real life, worked day in day out. Show me it out handles the chevy or ford towing a bobcat 331 and 873 on a gooseneck float. You can't, so that statement about toyota trucks being more reliable is just your trying to build up your favorite brand. Work that toyota like we do the Fords, Dodges, and Chevies, and it's a dead side of the road piece of junk.
Sorry but I don't see F-150's doing what you say nor do I see Silverados doing that. The Tundra was built to go against those vehicles not the bigger trucks. And by the way, the people I see buying those bigger vehicles around here never pull anything more than a small trailer and most of the time, nothing at all. I know a guy who bought a dually and never tows anything, he bought it because he could and because it makes up for him lacking in other areas if you know what I mean.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,057 posts, read 4,939,634 times
Reputation: 1498
Ive always liked Fords but I bought the fusion based on its merits. I wasnt always a fan of ford's CARS. Now I am.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top