Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,630,336 times

Advertisements

Curiosity got the best of me. I know a LOT of people who will simply purchase a vehicle because it's a "______" (enter vehicle make) and not care about the true merits of the vehicle. I know this forum has many knowledgeable and intelligent individuals who research vehicles much more than the common man but does that mean we're not prone to buy a vehicle based on a certain brand we're partial to?

If you're a BMW person, are you going to buy a BMW no matter what?
If you're a Lexus person, would you consider anything else?
If you're a Ford truck guy, would you consider a Chevy Silverado?
If you've always bought Toyotas, would you change to a domestic brand?

I realize there is such a thing as brand loyalty...but is there such a thing as brand ignorance ? Just because Americans cars were once unreliable and cheap doesn't mean in the year 2011 they're still that way. Just because Toyotas were always thought to be reliable doesn't mean that a different brand (ahem...Buick) couldn't surpass them.

How many of you consider ALL brands when looking at buying a new vehicle or do you solely focus on one or two? Do you become dead-set on buying a vehicle from a certain brand even if another brand may have something that would suit you better?

I, for one, am NOT a brand loyal person. I buy what suits me whether it be made by GMC, Lexus, Nissan, or Ford. I don't really care what brand I purchase if the vehicle suits my wants/needs. There are a few brands I have a disdain for such as Toyota and Mitsubishi but that doesn't mean I would NEVER purchase a vehicle from one, I simply have never found ANY of their lineup appealing to my taste.

Are you a brand loyal person or do you buy a vehicle for the vehicle regardless of what brand it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
i buy vehicles i like, though i tend to prefer fords first, domestic brands second, and then foreign cars. if i am shopping for a replacement car, i will drive a few different ones, and buy the one i like best, which is usually the one i am most comfortable driving. for instance, i currently drive a 77 olds delta 88. it is a comfortable car to drive, but my old 83 mercury grand marquis was a muchy more comfortable car for me to drive in comparison. perhaps one day i will get back into a grand marquis when i can afford one again.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,912,729 times
I am a reliable vehicle buyer...I don't have a preference for the brand. I just want good gas mileage, it to look decent and have great ratings. I prefer to drive a car until the wheels fall off. My only requirement is that I will never buy a used car...which of course will limit what cars I buy as far as price goes.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,595,028 times
I think if it's a luxury car (say $45k+) brand matters A LOT. I'll be totally honest, i'm never going to shell out $65k for a Hyundai Equus even if it surpasses an S-class twice its price in luxury & ride. And even at $45k+ I'm not so sure I would look at an Infiniti either.

For me it's more about brand exclusion, rather than inclusion. I'm open to testing & driving different makes & models, especially when they've been upgraded like say Hyundai's Sonata or Jeep's Grand Cherokee. But there are still certain companies that just seem to fall short in either reliability, styling or overall drivability, like Chrysler or Acura. And unless I start to hear good buzz from auto blogs/mags, I'm more than apt to pass them over.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,274,346 times
Depends on why I'm buying it, but generally I'm pretty open minded. Of course I have preferences and prejudice, like any other, but I'm not unwilling to change my opinion if need be.

I used to hate, I mean absolutely despise pretty much anything made by Mercedes, but their current line up is (for the most part) very appealing to me, and had I been in that market bracket, I'd certainly try one... before I bought a BMW.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,893,215 times
I don't have any brand loyalty. I purchase sports cars and luxury cars but that's the only requirement. It doesn't matter if a domestic, asian, or european make that meets those needs.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,923,541 times
I buy based upon the need that the vehicle must fulfill in view of the price/value for the job at hand.

While I own MB's and BMW's and Alfa-Romeo's, and have never been without several at a time since the late 1960's, I wouldn't buy any of these of more recent vintage. My older model cars are long past their days of beauty and now serve as utility vehicles, and my older SL's are not suitable for my current needs so they've all been sold.

For me, brand loyalty isn't enough justification to buy a given vehicle. Late model MB and BMW SUV's have a miserable record of reliability and durability, and the luxury and performance aspects don't outweigh the expense of keeping them on the road. Even if a Lexus SUV could hold up better, our roads are so bad that the acquisition cost simply isn't justified when I can buy a 4x4 3/4 ton diesel pick-up that will meet my needs for a fraction of the Lexus price ... or a Subaru Outback that is a fraction of the price and performs well in our regional driving conditions.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-24-2011 at 03:08 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,755,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't have any brand loyalty. I purchase sports cars and luxury cars but that's the only requirement. It doesn't matter if a domestic, asian, or european make that meets those needs.
Cut from the same cloth, here.

What can I run all-out for the longest amount of time without needing to repair frequently?

What car suits me so well that once I'm behind the wheel, I'm not totally sure whether I'm turning the wheel, or just thinking it'd be nice to go in that direction?

What car does exactly what I want it to without giving me any sass?

I don't care what manufacturing floor it came off of as long as it does what I want it to.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,641,702 times
I do not consider any foreign brands, never have. I've driven them for work, or as a rental. That's enough for me. I prefer Ford, but have also had Chevy's and Chrysler's. I only ever had one bad experience. I feel no need to change anything.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
I have the opportunity in my line of work to drive a lot of different vehicles, so by the time I do go shopping I've generally already narrowed my list down to a handful of options based on my needs.

I'm not a brand snob and would consider any car from any manufacturer, but have found that some brands like Chevy, Ford, Buick, Cadillac, Infiniti, Subaru, Audi, VW and BMW tend to make vehicles that appeal to me. Those brands tend to get my first look, but I do consider everything on the market before I make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive