Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 AM

119 posts, read 315,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You may not want to hear this, but of the cars you're listing the most practical are either the Camry or the Accord. There's no accounting for taste, so if you liked the Camry and didn't like the Accord, cross the Accord off your list.

I wouldn't advise the VW because they are notably less reliable than Hondas and Toyotas. No matter how much "fun" it is, you won't be having fun sitting around while the car is in the shop.

Do look at the Mazda 6. It has the fun accessories you're interested in and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Good luck. If you make the decision right you can figure on driving this car for the next ten years or so.
Thanks for letting me know that VW is less reliable. I always ignored cars until my 2002 chevy's transmission started acted up, so I am trying to research quickly. Reliability and safety are paramount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,831,109 times
Check out a new 2011 Dodge Charger. You can get a fully loaded V6 (292HP) for under $30k. If you push the limit, you can get a 370HP HEMI for around $30k. The V6 is RWD and will do 0-60 in around 7.2 seconds, and 18/27mpg. The 5 speed tranny is bullet proof and the fairly new engine hasn't had any issues in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Check this out:

V6 with sunroof, power seat, navigation, remote star, bluetooth, heated seats, homelink, keyless ignition, 20" chrome wheels:
$28k
Dodge : Charger - eBay (item 290546250637 end time Apr-07-11 12:45:08 PDT)

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,128,213 times
I love the Charger and may buy one myself eventually. However, if she thought the Accord and CC were too big then the Charger will seem like a real boat.

Out of your list I would probably go with the TSX. If safety is your top priority, I wouldn't rule the new Volvo S60 out. They have a T5 version which is pretty competitive price-wise with the vehicles you're looking at. Plus, they have a great 5 year maintenance plan where you don't pay anything.

2012 Volvo S60 Sedan | Offers, Safe + Secure 5-year Warranty

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
All of the cars mentioned will have similar safety ratings. Look at www.safercar.gov for specific ratings.

I agree with bmwguyc - the TSX would be my first choice. But the Fusion Sport is a nice car and should be less expensive. I think you would find the Mazda6 drives similarly to the Fusion Sport but has a sleeker body and more interior style.

Pokemunkee is an unabashed fan of Chrysler corp vehicles - nothing per se wrong with that but I think the Charger is not a good alternative. It is big, the new V6 is unproven, and the V8 is thirsty. The Charger is cop-car sized. Six months of success for the V6 in the new Cherokee is hardly evidence of good reliability.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM

119 posts, read 315,602 times
Thanks for all of the replies! I am not really interested in the charger - this might sound weird, but it seems like a pretty masculine car and like the others said, too large.

So.... I am still thinking about TSX, Fusion, Camry (but some of you are making me think that car is too old for me) and I will check out the Volvo S60 and Mazda 6.
I am leaning towards the TSX because it is so attractive and many of you have said that is what you think would be best

These car sales men are going to be soo irritated with me test driving so much - but hopefully Ill be in new wheels by the end of the week

The honda place said the honda is exactly the same as a TSX so I am just paying for the upscale brand. but it seemed nicer - is this true, or does every affordable brand say that the luxury brand is the exact same just to try to make their product seem better. The Camry guy told me the Camry is basically a Lexus... IS (I think that's the one he said). But clearly it didn't feel as cozy as a Lexus

Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,831,109 times
Put the Hyundai Sonata Turbo on your list too. Styling that will appeal to you more, good interior, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and 34mpg on the highway. Probably best bang for the buck in your class.

Check out the 2.0T Limited trim. Starts at $28k. Everything is standard except navigation package, which is another $2k. I'd skip it.

Yes, I love Chrysler vehicles, but I also am impressed with the new Sonata. I am considering this car for my next vehicle.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-27-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM

12,898 posts, read 13,566,665 times
http://awards.intellichoice.com/awards/bovy/

Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,004,591 times
Are you totally against a one or two year old used car? That may open up a few more options for you in that price range if you are looking for trendy.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel24 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I am not really interested in the charger - this might sound weird, but it seems like a pretty masculine car and like the others said, too large.

So.... I am still thinking about TSX, Fusion, Camry (but some of you are making me think that car is too old for me) and I will check out the Volvo S60 and Mazda 6.
I am leaning towards the TSX because it is so attractive and many of you have said that is what you think would be best

These car sales men are going to be soo irritated with me test driving so much - but hopefully Ill be in new wheels by the end of the week

The honda place said the honda is exactly the same as a TSX so I am just paying for the upscale brand. but it seemed nicer - is this true, or does every affordable brand say that the luxury brand is the exact same just to try to make their product seem better. The Camry guy told me the Camry is basically a Lexus... IS (I think that's the one he said). But clearly it didn't feel as cozy as a Lexus
What the salesman said is pretty much correct. Acuras are made by Honda and Lexuses are made by Toyota. They're fancier, but I bet the models line up pretty closely.

If you want to think about what's going to happen over the next 5-10 years a Prius might be a good option.

Also, don't feel bad about how much time you're taking. Those salesmen want you to spend a lot of your hard-earned money. There is nothing wrong with doing everything you can to make sure you're making the right choice.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,274,526 times
The TSX is not a different trim Honda, at least not in the US. The Honda to which it relates is not sold in the United States; it's the European Accord. So, while there are some common parts to many Honda products, you cannot find the same car in different trim in the US. The TSX is a different car than the American Accord, not a brand engineered version of the same car.

I also would not recommend a Charger, especially if resale could be an issue in a few years. The Acuras tend to hold their value much better, and the Charger is larger than the TSX, Camry, Fusion. The Acura with the 4-cylinder is also pretty thrifty in terms of fuel economy, though requires premium, so dollar savings may not equate when considering cars that run on regular.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive