Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,120,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Automatic just makes it easier when doing all this in a school zone..
Less likely to spill your beer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,767,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Less likely to spill your beer too.
Well now, that would just be irresponsible, wouldn't want to spill a drop.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,120,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well now, that would just be irresponsible, wouldn't want to spill a drop.
I've never been one to abuse alcohol.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,853,815 times
Got a little bored reading some of the posters that showed their age.

Debating the issue of stick or auto tranny today is going to end up on some deaf ears.

Lets face it...some of us old timers grew up before the auto tranny was introduced in the early 1940's.

Most of the younger folks may or may not have had any exposure to the old stick 3 speed.

As for me...I cut my teeth on a car with 3 pedALS on the floor...one was not a gas pedal. There are a couple here that know what I am referring too...no big deal, just the time period.

Anyway...as we get older with health issues and depending on the part of the country a person lives in there is the choice/need of the stick or auto.

What ever floats the boat is the way to go.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM

773 posts, read 2,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It is amazing how many auto transmissions will last even when not checked regularly. If an automatic transmission is built right (and not abused) they will typically last a long time.
You're right, automatics will last a very long time. All New York and Chicago taxis are automatics. Taxi fleet owners know that automatics are the cheaper option. For city driving, you can't beat an automatic, both for ease of use and lower maintenance.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM

441 posts, read 1,323,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
You're right, automatics will last a very long time. All New York and Chicago taxis are automatics. Taxi fleet owners know that automatics are the cheaper option. For city driving, you can't beat an automatic, both for ease of use and lower maintenance.
I am not an automatic transmission expert, but by using logic... how can a system become more reliable by adding more parts and increasing the complexity to do same task?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,767,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I've never been one to abuse alcohol.

I would hope not. You abuse it, you lose it.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The point, however, is the continued misguided notion of WHY consumers wanted automatics, and it wasn't due to laziness. Simply put, dealers orderd them due to making more money off of them, consumers bought them as they were easier to resell later, at a higher price point. Resale value has been beaten into our heads for a long time, not primarily by car manufacturers, but by journalists and economic advisors. You and I both watched it happen decades ago.
They wouldn't be easier to sell nor would they sell at a higher price point if there wasn't demand for them. And when there isn't demand for them, they don't sell as well. Shop used WRXs for instance, and when you find one that's priced too good to be true, there's a very good chance it's an automatic. In fact Subaru got the message and dropped the automatic option altogether.

Last edited by Drover; 03-31-2011 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: addendum

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM

24,473 posts, read 33,157,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
I am not an automatic transmission expert, but by using logic... how can a system become more reliable by adding more parts and increasing the complexity to do same task?
Because if something is well-engineered and produced, it can be reliable even if it's more complex.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM

773 posts, read 2,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
By using logic, why would taxi fleet owners in large American cities overwhelmingly choose automatic transmissions over manual? They know their business and they have their maintenance records at hand. Do you think they care about the comfort of their drivers? Phfft! They choose automatics over manuals because they have the lowest maintenance cost. It's not a question of more parts and increasing complexity; it's a question of economics, proven over hundreds of thousands of miles of city driving. Follow the smart money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive