Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I could be wrong but, doesn't Kelley's Blue Book "knock off" some value for manual transmissions (in passenger cars)?
Yes, of course, that's a $1,000 or more addition to the price when purchased, so adds to the resale value too.

I think it is mostly laziness, and making it harder to eat, talk or text on the cell while driving (despite the laws).

I personally have one of each, but use the manual to commute to work in Seattle. Yes, sometimes in heavy traffic on hills one gets a sore leg, but it's worth it for the fun of really driving. Also, an automatic is $2,000-$4,000 to rebuild, compared to maybe $800 for a new clutch on a manual so automatics help the service departments make more $ when they wear out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Lots of reasons, some have been posted:

1. We're lazy.

2. Traffic. My previous manual was like using a leg press machine. I sat in an hour of stop and go traffic so many times that my left leg was bigger than my right. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I can say that after sitting in that traffic my left leg was throbbing many times.

3. We're too stupid to learn. My neighbor decided to get down to one car for he and his wife. She is seemingly incapable of learning to drive a manual, so he has to buy an auto.

4. We aren't driving enthusiasts. Look at how many Accords, Camrys, and other front drive generic sedans are on the road. Few people are interested in the performance benefits of a manual.

5. Even taking the performance benefits into account, modern paddle shifters and SMGs are so good that manuals don't provide any real benefit for most people in the cars where they're available. I think I read somewhere that either Porsche or Ferrari is no longer offering a manual.

That being said, my GTO is a 6M, and my F150 is a 4EOD. The GTO is very easy to drive, but there are times when I don't want to change gears. I had a series of knee and ankle injuries a few years ago, and couldn't have driven were it not for my auto F150.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I've owned a manual car and it was fun to drive on a winding country road. It was a 1984 Buick Skyhawk (non-turbo model) two door coupe. But driving in stop and go traffic was hard on the legs. Wife can't drive a manual due to physical disabilities. So even if I wanted to go back to a manual I couldn't because she wouldn't be able to drive my car if her's is in the shop.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Lots of reasons, some have been posted:

2. Traffic. My previous manual was like using a leg press machine. I sat in an hour of stop and go traffic so many times that my left leg was bigger than my right. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I can say that after sitting in that traffic my left leg was throbbing many times.

But isn't traffic the same or worse in big cities in Europe/Asia ? Most cars there have manual transmission.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
In the European Countries I know, getting a license is an expensive proposition and the person must demonstrate working knowledge of the automobile and the ability to properly drive a manual transmission.

I live in California and we do not have these requirements... if a person doesn't have the desire to learn proper manual transmission driving... they don't.

Also in Europe, renting a car with an Automatic comes at a premium...

American Car rentals with a manual are almost non-existent.

Anyone can drive an automatic and the same is not true for a stick.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,533 times
I drove a manual in England and Germany (1982 Vauxhall Cavalier). Back in the 90's there were a lot of manual transmission European cars. Since 1995 I've owned a manual (5-speed) Plymouth Neon Sport Coupe. That's 16 years, two states and Korea, all city. I relish a manual, stop and go traffic be damned. I love the "control" aspect of making the car do as I ask. Dropping a gear and powering into a corner, for example. Or, using "engine braking" (while not always fuel efficient) reduces brake wear.

If marketed correctly, manuals would probably make a comeback.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I could be wrong but, doesn't Kelley's Blue Book "knock off" some value for manual transmissions (in passenger cars)?
Not on all cars, some cars are still desirable in manual, so the pricing reflects that, could check any 3 series car, unless you exclude them as passenger cars. They are sportier.

It seems that car manufacturers are catering to the majority, the majority of US population keeps their cars for 3-5 yrs, does not want to shift gears or crank a window. They are willing to spend more to be able to drink coffee, talk on the cell while driving. Also the drive times are probably more in US compared to Europe. I don't think the average European spends an hour in the car. Mostly they use public transportation and use the car for fun/weekends.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

See above. It's not a pain for everyone. In general I find driving a manual a pain but I realise I am in the great minority. So most people would rather sacrifice cost, control and the fun of driving for convenience, I guess?
Well, that depends. If a transmission is all it takes for a vehicle to go from fun to boring...my F150 would not get any more fun to drive with a 5-speed than it is with an auto trans, though it could use a chip to firm up those shifts.

I once was hard-core manual trans before being a life-long stomach sleeper brought on some back and knee issues and working at a chemical storage terminal brought on some feet that were pretty achy after 12-hour shifts. Driving a 4-cylinder/manual trans Ranger was no fun like that.

I would consider grabbing a sunny day vehicle like a Mustang convertible with a manual trans, but what's so special about shifting gears when I could enjoy the sight-seeing with the top down in that case?

I take manual windows and locks (like my F150 has), but, I've already mastered the "drink in my right hand and shifting with my left hand while making a turn with my occupied right hand as well" skill...

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I just think too many Americans are "shiftless"...

Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I drive a stick. I've always driven a stick. My truck has 8 forward gears and two in reverse. I did own a Lincoln with an automatic, but that was for traveling. For work, on snow and ice, I need a manual tranmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive