Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
You do have more control, but it's significance is severely overrated by some.
It certainly is overrated.

Quote:
First, you have complete control over the shifting, so that IF you know what you're doing, you can get better gas mileage. Also, if you drive in hilly or mountainous regions, a manual transmission can give you better control of your descents without using the brakes so much.
It depends on the transmission, but it is possible to have complete control with an automatic. For example, one of the Ford auto transmissions allowed you the choice of starting from a stop in either 1st or 2nd gear, not to mention the choice of shifting manually. As for driving in hilly or mountainous regions, I have done that with my (automatic) cars. On a steep incline or downgrade, I just shift into 2nd gear and it will stay in that gear as long as I want it to. Not much different than with a manual transmission when you think about it.

Quote:
Second, is handling. The thing is, it really only helps when you're close to that fine line between staying in your lane and leaving the road. And the only time a law-abiding driver should worry about that is when it's snowing, and your tires' grip on the road is reduced by 90%.

Because it usually snows several feet over each winter where I live, I prefer to have a manual. It is helpful if you're turning a corner and have to work a little bit of slide into it to maintain momentum. However, by manually downshifting an automatic transmission, you can get almost the same type of control (with a little more "slack" that you learn to adjust for) in the snow.

For people who prefer the "handling control" of a manual transmission where it never even snows, well, I have something to say: I hope you're taking it to the track in order to enjoy your handling advantage. I don't want to be on the same road as you otherwise, because your reckless fun could really ruin my life.
Good comments about driving in snow. It's up to people to choose what type of transmission (and vehicle) to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not a problem with newer automobiles. These even include "hill assist" to prevent the vehicle from moving back when you release the clutch to take off on a hill. The clutch is also hydraulically assisted (in some automobiles), which in turn makes the pedal very light.
Hell, I had this feature on the 1939 Studebaker.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Hell, I had this feature on the 1939 Studebaker.
Yes, the feature has also been available for many years on large trucks (tractors). But instead of the clutch (back then), now the brakes are used. It's a very nice feature for those who don't have enough training driving manual, but I have never used it on cars, just dump trucks.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have owned many Volvos from the 1960 era, none of which had power brakes or steering

I have owned many Volvos from the 1960 era, all of which had front wheel disc brakes without a booster. Old VW bugs with front disc brakes without a booster.
Some Ferrari automobiles from 20 years ago didn't have power steering. That's the way some were designed since that's what people wanted.

P.S. I was just reading about new Ferrari automobiles, and some still don't have power steering

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I used to do that until my dad laid out the following:

New Brake pads $24 + 1 hour of work

New Clutch $$75 + 20 hours of work

New Rings $300 + 120 hours of work.

Which one would you prefer to wear out?
I have always downshifted to slow down as I drive to a red light or a full stop sign, to at least the second gear. While I have downshifted my '87 Civic Si from the beginning, 257,000 miles later I have replaced the brake pads and shoes several times, but not the clutch since it's doing fine. If you read the manual, the manufacturer recommends that one downshift to save the brakes from wear.

Now, you have to know how to downshift, since it's not used to stop the automobile, but to slowdown gradually and within the proper RPM range used for upshifting, except that one does not want to downshift near the high end of the RPM band.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some Ferrari automobiles from 20 years ago didn't have power steering. That's the way some were designed since that's what people wanted.

P.S. I was just reading about new Ferrari automobiles, and some still don't have power steering
I'm guessing the only contemporary Ferrari without power steering is the 458 where the engine is behind the driver so there's minimal weight on the nose. The fat GTs with the honkin' V12s up front are almost certainly equipped with power steering.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm guessing the only contemporary Ferrari without power steering is the 458 where the engine is behind the driver so there's minimal weight on the nose. The fat GTs with the honkin' V12s up front are almost certainly equipped with power steering.
Probably so. I did a fast google search about "ferrari automobiles without power steering," and it showed several. The Ferrari F40 is one of these cars. It has no power steering nor power-braking. Built for speed, it does 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds and tops a little over 200 miles per hour.

I had a mid '60s Volvo, and later an Alfa Romeo. Both didn't have power steering, nor power-assisted (hydraulic) clutch, nor power brakes like the automobiles of today.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
You do have more control, but it's significance is severely overrated by some.

First, you have complete control over the shifting, so that IF you know what you're doing, you can get better gas mileage. Also, if you drive in hilly or mountainous regions, a manual transmission can give you better control of your descents without using the brakes so much.
You can have the same exact control with an automatic. My BMW does. And my old V8 RX7 with it's lightly modded automatic did, as well (shifting could be done either automatically or manually, when and where you wanted it to)

Quote:
Second, is handling. The thing is, it really only helps when you're close to that fine line between staying in your lane and leaving the road. And the only time a law-abiding driver should worry about that is when it's snowing, and your tires' grip on the road is reduced by 90%.
How, pray tell, could a manual trans help in handling? I've raced both manual and automatic cars and I've had compelte contol over them in either case. Staying in your lane is steering (and to some extent braking), but not shifting.

Quote:
Because it usually snows several feet over each winter where I live, I prefer to have a manual. It is helpful if you're turning a corner and have to work a little bit of slide into it to maintain momentum.
I could do that with an automatic, too. In fact, I could do that with my AWD range Rover and 4 WD dually, both of which had automatics. For snow, I prefer snow tires and AWD. Makes vastly more difference than what kind of transmission you have.

That path was not made by shoveling, but by simply driving the Range Rover through the 2'+ of snow.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Yeah, driving a car that was born without power steering is easier than driving one with the power steering not working. When the power steering breaks it works against you. Where on a manual steering car you're only turning gears when you steer, on a broken power steering car you're turning gears, opening and closing valves and pushing hydraulic fluid around when you steer.
Yes sir, manuel steering is way easier than a vehicle with a broken power steering. I've never owned a manuel steer but have driven a few. Driving down the road is about like driving a vehicle power steering. The part that sucks is stuff that makes you turn a lot like parking.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Default Why are manual transmission vehicles unpopular in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I grew up in Europe and still visit; manual trans cars are still common there. In fact, last time I was in the UK, it was cheaper to rent a manual trans car than an automatic - do US rental agencies even rent manual vehicles?
Probably not. Americans are more affluent than Europeans and can afford automatic transmissions.

I hope this answers your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive