Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
a Corvette with an automatic. ha, ha, ha, this vehicle must be amputated.

Actually, the new Corvette automatic is pretty decent, And if you're talking cars before about '89, the automatic was easily modified for increased performance, shifting faster than a manual trans could, and shifting when you want it, fast and firm. It's not luxurious and smooth when you do that, it can actually be very violent.

I've built numerous automatic equipped sports and GT cars for autocross competition and track days. With a few mods, they work VERY well. When autocrossing especially, i want one foot on each pedal and one hand on each control in order to shave off every thousandth of a second.

For example this car was built for slalom racing, with a highly modified Ford 302 V8 and AOD automatic transmission, with a shift kit, performance clutch packs, and a modified torque convertor for very fast, very firm, shifts when you moved the lever. It pulled 1.2 Gs laterally and almost that in acceleration and braking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSf6D8oRkA

That run may not look fast until you realize that the turnaround at the far end of the track is a quarter mile away and the car got to that point after 2 slaloms and a set of 90 degree turns, and it STILL did it under 20 seconds. It could run a 12 second quarter mile time WHILE slaloming. With an automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
a Corvette with an automatic. ha, ha, ha, this vehicle must be amputated.
Must be what??

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Chrysler was the 1st US car with an Automatic tranny.

My dad was a mechanic with his own licensed repair shop he built behind our house in Ont Canada in 1940.

Dads brother (one of my Uncles) had bought one of the 1941/42 models in that yr or early 1942 before the end of assembly change to war production (my memory is a bit vague as to the actual date). Recall sitting behind the steering wheel and being memorized with the shifting procedure. Car still had a lot of chrome so it was probably the 41 model as they went to a Non Chrome grill etc in the 42 models. (cut short production year)

Edit: Will add that dad bought a New 1947 Fleetline after being on the waiting list for 1 yr and 1 day. Was told to pick up the car or it would be sold to the next person on their list. Car had a Vac controlled shifter on the steering column that made a hissing sound when manually shifted......how times have changed.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 06-23-2014 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
a chevy pickup. I remember when I lived in Oklahoma City as a Youngster sitting on the back of it. Is that still allowed over there? Over here it would be a misdemeanor.
It's legal in Minnesota.

I call it riding a lo mexicano.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 PM

93 posts, read 99,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Must be what??
amputated (because there's no gear shift).

Last edited by holzhaus123; 06-24-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
amputated (because there's not shift).
I realize English is not your first language and I've been able to make out your meaning most of the time, but... this just makes no sense.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, the new Corvette automatic is pretty decent, And if you're talking cars before about '89, the automatic was easily modified for increased performance, shifting faster than a manual trans could, and shifting when you want it, fast and firm. It's not luxurious and smooth when you do that, it can actually be very violent.

I've built numerous automatic equipped sports and GT cars for autocross competition and track days. With a few mods, they work VERY well. When autocrossing especially, i want one foot on each pedal and one hand on each control in order to shave off every thousandth of a second.

For example this car was built for slalom racing, with a highly modified Ford 302 V8 and AOD automatic transmission, with a shift kit, performance clutch packs, and a modified torque convertor for very fast, very firm, shifts when you moved the lever. It pulled 1.2 Gs laterally and almost that in acceleration and braking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRSf6D8oRkA

That run may not look fast until you realize that the turnaround at the far end of the track is a quarter mile away and the car got to that point after 2 slaloms and a set of 90 degree turns, and it STILL did it under 20 seconds. It could run a 12 second quarter mile time WHILE slaloming. With an automatic.
You describe "shifting when you want it".how can you operate it (yourself). Does it have a Fixing of the automatic to single gears like a BMW alpina had?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Why are manual transmission vehicles unpopular in the USA

Today when I came from work I saw a BMW i3 Electric car parking close to my house. The design didn't even look unsportive, pretty attractive. It didn't have a stick (Manual, automatic) at all, but a fat piece right to the wheel. But I didn't know to whom it belongs (all Apartment buildings) so I couldn't ask thed river about the modalities.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's legal in Minnesota.

I call it riding a lo mexicano.
All the mexican workers on the back of it, exactly, right.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
You describe "shifting when you want it".how can you operate it (yourself). Does it have a Fixing of the automatic to single gears like a BMW alpina had?
You realize that even an automatic transmission shift lever has positions for other gears than just D, N, R, and P, right? You move the lever by hand to what gear you want it in and it shifts instantly to that gear, no clutch pedal. So with a modded automatic, you can leave it in D and it'll shift itself fast and firm, no slippage, or if you move the lever, it shifts to the gear you move the lever to. This was very common to do with the automatics in hot rods and muscle cars in the '60s. 70s, and '80s.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive