Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
BTW, the Champion spark plugs website says the OEM plugs are iridiums. Is this BS or can I make do with the regular platinums?
They do this for longer life so you don't regularly have to go through the BS of changing plugs on a traverse V6 FWD.

Copper plugs are actually the best for performance because copper is a better conductor, but they don't last nearly as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
I "hear" Autolites are a POS. I haven't had them in years though.
For the past 25-30 years I've always installed AC-Delco in GM, Motorcraft/Autolite in Ford and Champion in Mopar. If it was good enough for the factory then it works for me.

If available, imports get NGK no matter what came in them. I avoid Bosch if at all possible.

Everyone has a personal choice. As far as Autolite being junk, who knows.
Last I heard they were associated with Fram. Can't say that's a good thing.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
I believe I have a bad plug in one of the banks on my mail car, a 2008 Impala. I could change the front three easily, but I would rather do it right and change all six. I am sure most of you have owned a FWD car and know what kind of b--ch it is to get to the rear plugs. Any tips on making it an easier task or am I going to have to swallow my pride and take it to a shop?

Also, should I change the wires while I am at it?
I have never changed rear plugs on a RWD car before, have on several RWD V8 and I6 engines though. Not sure if the plug wires are as long lasting and durable as they were years ago, but my 1973 Pontiac still has the original plug wires and the car still runs perfectly, but this may be an exception. We have had to change them twice on our 1997 Oldsmobile. Our 1988 Mercedes still has the original plug wires as well. I am no expert, but I would say that 2-3 year old plug wires would still be fine.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
No car is made where there is no simple procedure to replace the plugs.
One exception I can think of are the older inline 6-cylinder engines and many 4-cylinder engines. I changed the plugs in my moms 1988 Mercedes (with the 3.0L inline 6-cylinder in about 5 minutes... pic below is not of our car, but another car with the same engine we have in her car).... its true though that most modern cars, its a very difficult task. (Its also SUPER easy to change the oil in this Mercedes... about 7 minutes - everything super easy to access.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive