Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But the caveat is that you need to know how to drive it.
A chimpanzee could be taught to drive a manual.

Quote:
It's the Tao of driving. If you have no clue what I'm talking about ...
I've no clue what you are talking about. Buy what you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
It's been said, but:

1) Better gas mileage
Not always true anymore, especially for larger engine cars. Small engine ones, yeah

Quote:
2) More control over the car. Really helps with mountain driving, as well as driving in snow.
Again, you CAN shift an automatic manually, and I've never had a problem in mountain driving or snow (or on the autocross track) with a proper automatic. More things TO control does not mean more IN control.

Quote:
3) Manual transmissions take about 10% of horsepower away, whereas automatics are about 20%. Really helps if you're driving an underpowered car, like a Civic.
Again, not always. Small cars, yes, larger cars, cars with modded automatics (like a $50 B&M shift improve kit in them) and cars liek my BMW, no.

Quote:
4) Fun.
for maybe 1% of the time when you execute that perfect heel and toe downshift on the corner onto an onramp, butother than that, wiggling the left foot isn't really adding fun. Not as much as lateral G forces and acceleration.

High speed indoor karts are fun to drive and they don't shift at all.

My V8 RX7 autocrosser pulled over 1 G laterally and was massive fun, with an automatic. A stick wouldn't have made it MORE fun, even on the street (blazing the tires and going sideways is fun regardless of what your left foot is doing... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=FRSf6D8oRkA

and cars these two of mine would have nothing added to them by adding a stick (other than uniqueness):

Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
A chimpanzee could be taught to drive a manual.

I've no clue what you are talking about.
A chimpanzee would also have no clue what I'm talking about. Now, that's two things you have in common.

------

Oh, one more advantage to the stick. When my wife went from an automatic back to a stick, and was moving stuff from the trunk to her new car, there was a set of jumper cables. I asked "What will you be needing those for?" It took her a moment to get the point.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

for maybe 1% of the time when you execute that perfect heel and toe downshift on the corner onto an onramp, butother than that, wiggling the left foot isn't really adding fun. Not as much as lateral G forces and acceleration.
Now you're the one making assertions, that you love pointing out to much.

Wiggling the left foot as you call it, might not add any fun for you, that doesn't mean that that applies to everyone.

I actually quite like wiggling my foot, even when I'm driving normally, so to me, it almost always adds to the fun of a vehicle.

Now before you start drawing the wrong ideas from that: No, that does not mean there has to be a clutch to have fun (I too find carting quite enjoyable, though prefer the outside/more grip version more pleasant).

You know, just so you clearly know where I stand.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just wondering, does anyone even drive a stick shift anymore? why? what are the advantages?

I understand they're better on gas, also, you have better road control if you do a lot of mountain driving, but for the average driver, why even bother with a stick?
Because with a stick shift you can even get a Honda Civic to burn rubber and billow smoke if you know how to drive

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Quote:
A chimpanzee would also have no clue what I'm talking about. Now, that's two things you have in common.
That's Texas talkin'. If this is a good old Billy Bob Ray forum, it's time for me to move on.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Oh, one more advantage to the stick. When my wife went from an automatic back to a stick, and was moving stuff from the trunk to her new car, there was a set of jumper cables. I asked "What will you be needing those for?" It took her a moment to get the point.
lol! Good one. I have a working alternator and no jumper cables, either. We have them in the Rangie but only used them to help others start THIER cars.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Add me to the "because they are more fun to drive" crowd! I enjoy the act and process of driving; to me a manual trans adds to the enjoyment. Even in stop and go traffic...I guess I've drivin manuals long enough (including 18 speed semi trucks) that I'm just on autopilot when I feel like it, no exta effort required.

Also I prefer a stick shift for mountain/twisty driving (I used to live in the Rockies) and for driving on slippy winter roads.

And they tend to be more economical as long as you don't wear out clutches every 10,000 miles.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:34 PM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just wondering, does anyone even drive a stick shift anymore? why? what are the advantages?

I understand they're better on gas, also, you have better road control if you do a lot of mountain driving, but for the average driver, why even bother with a stick?
Sex appeal.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:

------

Maybe a chimp could be taught to drive a stick.....not very good though....driving a stick WELL is an art.

1 miilion chimps typing for 1 million years= works of Shakespere
1 billion chimps typing for 1000 years=works of Shakespere
1 trillion chimps typing for 1 YEAR = works of Shakespere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive