Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

I'M 72, and you won't see me in some large sedan as a daily driver.
I bought my Dakota r/t new in 02, and I fully intend to be driving it for many years to come.
It's quick, looks good, and is paid for.
What more could I ask for except better mileage?
I am looking at a Mazda 3 hatchback for a "run-around car".
I use the truck as my daily driver, and work, but want something other than my classic to drive around town.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the senior citizens going to drive now, very few full-sized cars anymore!-dakota-stables.jpg  

Last edited by CALGUY; 04-05-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Who says the old folks need big cars? I'm 68 and look forward to buying a Boss 302 Mustang next year.

I did go the big car route with a MB 25 years ago but right away people think you are a senior citizen/geezer.

We used to go to this German restaurant and the parking attendant would always park the MB right next to the front door.

Parking lot attendants will not be parking my Boss.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Yes some older folks still like the land barges. My FIL used to talk about Buick Roadmasters.

But many I know prefer smaller vehicles. My dad (79) has been driving small cars most of his life and just recently replaced his Fit with a Tacoma truck. My FIL now drives a Cadillac CTS and is perfectly happy with it. As he has slowed down, he appreciates a vehicle that is easier to park.

The wealthy senior crowd seems to really like the Lexus LS.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I did go the big car route with a MB 25 years ago but right away people think you are a senior citizen/geezer.

Being as I am an old geezer I see no problem with people thinking me one.

Our Ford Edge is good car for old-timers because of the car's convenient height; you just slide straight in and out, no climbing up or down.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I think the stereotype of seniors wanting giant cars is dated.

My husband is 70 and he likes his 1998 Saturn SL2 with manual transmission. I have the same car, a year older. He keeps wanting to get an MG but it wouldn't be practical and he's had many of them already.

Other older people are driving Hundais (sp?) and other compact cars that are economical and practical. Today's seniors in their 60s and 70s never did like the gas guzzlers, for the most part.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Interesting replies.

I agree the stereotype is somewhat dated but it's still very prevalent. Many of the retiring baby boomers aren't into the big-luxo-barge vehicles but it seems once you get to the late 60's into the 70's and 80's; you see more and more of the older folks driving the big Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Buicks.

It's a bit late now but I should've taken a picture of one of the churches in the Mesa/Apache Junction area on a Sunday morning in mid February; you'll see more big luxury vehicles than anything else. I have an aunt and uncle that live in one of the 55+ communities in that area and when I visit them, I drive around the community and see more Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Lexus vehicles than anything else. Oddly enough there aren't many minivans but quite a few small crossovers including the very popular Lexus RX350.

I can't see many of these older folks downsizing to a smaller car simply because it's much more difficult to enter/exit. The DTS, Town Car, Lucerne all sit up high enough to which you can easily get in and out of the vehicle without having to pull yourself out or slide yourself in. It's actually quite common to find some of these vehicles from 2006 and 2007 with less than 10K miles on them! If you're in the market for a used luxo barge, come to Phoenix in the winter!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
They'll drive vans and big large SUV'S.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Some cars like Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES, Hyundai Azera, still cater to such a market, I suppose. But none are as big as a LeSabre or Town Car (or offer V8s).

Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
By the way, it's not only the older people who drive large cars. I am 25, and drive a Grand Marquis .

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
They'll end up buying whatever the market has to offer, that suits the majority of their wants or needs. It may be a switch for some of them, but they'll still buy. In a few years some other cars (possibly crossovers or SUVs) will be the perennial favorite of the retiree crowd. My parents are at retirement age and have 2 Lexuses (1 SUV). None of their peers are driving Town Cars or DTSs either. Even my dad assumes that Town Car drivers are old farts... not that he's much younger. But that's the perception. And there's probably some truth to it.

Since the people who are approaching retirement have been driving SUVs and other cars for the last 10-20 years, I'm guessing they'll continue with what they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive