Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

I know we have some enthusiasts of full-sized American automobiles on this forum and was curious what you thought all the older folks who enjoy full-sized automobiles are going to drive with the discontinuation of the Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, and Buick Lucerne after this year. I know quite a few older folks down here who love these big American automobiles and after this year, they won't be able to buy them new.

What vehicles are going to cater to this (ever growing) segment of American society? I'd say these three vehicles, as a whole, are the vehicles which the older generation seems to drive the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
They'll drive the biggest passenger vehicles on the road...the bus. That's because they won't be able to retire and everyone else won't be able to afford driving much with gas prices steadily moving upward.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I know we have some enthusiasts of full-sized American automobiles on this forum and was curious what you thought all the older folks who enjoy full-sized automobiles are going to drive with the discontinuation of the Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, and Buick Lucerne after this year. I know quite a few older folks down here who love these big American automobiles and after this year, they won't be able to buy them new.

What vehicles are going to cater to this (ever growing) segment of American society? I'd say these three vehicles, as a whole, are the vehicles which the older generation seems to drive the most.
I am 64 and still riding my motorcycle as long as weather permits. I am looking at a Can/Am Spyder three wheeler if I can get a decent trade in on my Vulcan 900. I may upgrade my four wheeler to a pickup with a towing package to tow my boat to the lake. I have no desire to ever own a Luxury car. The only luxury I want is my recliner in the Den.

GL2

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Well Ford doesn't really have an answer for those folks yet. However, GM does with the Buick LaCrosse and the upcoming XTS. Both are much better cars overall than the traditional retiree mobile, but they still retain the size and ride that market wants.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
I guess they'll have to resort to the used market if they truly feel that there are no NEW options. If you haven't noticed those full size cars last a long time no matter how much they're abused.

I suspect they will remain quite common for several decades to come despite being discontinued. There are a whole lot of them right now on the road and I doubt that parts for them will ever disappear in any of our lifetimes.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
there really are many picks from Mini vans to SUVs.As booomers retiree morea and more you will see manufacturers offer more choices really.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,702 times
Around here only the most "senior" seniors seem to cling to the old full size models. They probably bought them new, drive them only a few thousand miles a year and the estate will sell them off in the end.

The "younger" seniors drive modest mid-sizers like the Taurus and similar stuff. Not too zippy, not too many gadgets, basic transportation. The joke around here is that if we parked every registered brown Buick Century and Ford Taurus end to end we'd have an unbroken line covering most of Pennsylvania from east to west.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

279 posts, read 759,895 times
Toyota Avalon. Seems like it's pretty much the closest thing to those cars that is still around and it's arguably the most basic/bland/boring car available today.

(Yes I'm generalizing and not saying that everyone over 65 wants to drive a boring car )

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Id prefer they drive nothing. 89 year old lady next door to me, drove into my living room 2 years back. Um hello? You are too old to be driving if you cant figure out you are going forwards and not backwards.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
With the passage of time I think fewer people associate huge cars and luxury.

I do think there will be more features aimed at older or disabled drivers and passengers - things like doors that are easier to open and that stay opened, more handholds for easier in/out, footwells that don't require lifting your legs up and over and a host of other things. All of those are available now as aftermarket add-ons or conversions, but I think the auto manufacturers will be adding them.

When I was caring for my father in his last few years, it was frustrating trying to find a rental car that was easy to get him in and out of and deal with first the walker and then the wheelchair. Minivans sort of work, but that clamber up into the seat can be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive