Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Any bulb replacement
Disc brakes
Belt replacement
Spark plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Windshield wipers
Injector cleaning
O2 sensor replacement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times
This thread is a total load of garbage, not all cars are the same.

Take for instance these labor items

91-93 Honda Accord wagons to change the outside turn signal lamp bulbs you have to remove parts of the interior. There is no access panel for easy bulb changes.

86-92 BMW 325e, es, i and is you have to remove the mass airflow meter, which is part of the air cleaner box assembly to change the air filter.

98-0? VW New Beetles require the headlights to be removed before you can change the bulb. I’ve see a lot of people poke their head and there and they end up breaking the cam assembly that the headlight ride on or even the headlight. The cool part is they bring it to me and their $35 bulb change just turned into a nice $100 + bill

98-0? VW New Beetle LOL the dash has to be partial disassembled to change the cabin filter. I sometimes see these with multiple scractched or broken dash pieces, from bone head owners trying to get to the cabin filter.

If you think any mechanic is going to do these things for free LOL.

More power to you if you want to do your own repairs, but take into consideration this is no longer 1963 where a wing nut is all it takes to change an air filter.

BTW dumping chemicals in your gas tank does not do much to clean injectors. it's a good preventative, but not much else. There a special machine for this kind of work.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
I'm not savvy with automobiles but my general rule of thumb is:

If it's something that I could easily undo if I cannot perform successfully, then I'll try to do it myself.

So what I'll do myself:

Change air filters
Fill air
Change bulbs
Change fuses
Rotate tires (but most shops will do it for free and it's a PITA)
Washing the car
Vacuuming the car

Everything else, I'll ask a mechanic to do. Sure, there's a good chance I might be able to perform successfully but it's not worth the risk of rendering the car undriveable and having to call a tow truck (not to mention being stranded without transportation.)

Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,430 times
Quote:
I might just start changing my own oil. Where do you go to dispose of oil though?
That's why I stopped changing my own oil. I still do many things my self, including disc and drum brakes, but I don't do oil.

I used to look for coupons, but I've found that the 5 local Honda dealers are very competitive for my oil change needs. With an online coupon, they're always less than $30, including filter. Since my brother started working at a Honda dealership, it's now less than $20.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,651 times
It all boils down to money and time. You trade your time (working) for money, which you then use to buy the time of others (working). You always spend one or the other, the proportions are up to you.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
That's why I stopped changing my own oil. I still do many things my self, including disc and drum brakes, but I don't do oil.

I used to look for coupons, but I've found that the 5 local Honda dealers are very competitive for my oil change needs. With an online coupon, they're always less than $30, including filter. Since my brother started working at a Honda dealership, it's now less than $20.
Since I lasted posted, I've started changing my own oil. All in all it takes about 20 - 30 minutes. I just dispose of the oil at the local autozone.

Is it saving me money? Probably-- considering most of the mechanics around me charge $40 - 50 for an oil change. (using crappy synthetic non-name brand oil)

Now I use better oil, the car runs better, and it is much cheaper.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM

373 posts, read 709,721 times
Quote:
I don't know much about cars.

However, I do know some things are easy to replace-- and I can easily do them myself by visiting an O'Reilly Autoparts or similar store.

Recently my mechanic wanted to charge me $16 to replace a brake light and $40 to replace an air filter. When I know air filters cost $15 and brake lights are about $3. That is a $38 service charge!! It takes about 5 seconds to replace these things.

What other things can you think of that you shouldn't pay a mechanic to help you with?
5 seconds? Get real. Some brake lights require removing the entire light assembly to even reach the bulb . It only takes a few minutes or less to pull a tooth and you know what that cost.......lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive