Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM

886 posts, read 5,692,876 times

Advertisements

My wife bought a 2010 Toyota Carolla S and I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze and we love them both. Both were about the same price both are manual trans but the Cruze is a 6 speed. Both also get almost 40 MPG on the highway. The Chevy feels more solid and has less road noise but the Toyota came with more features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,725,202 times
What do you think of the Elantra's all new aluminium engine? They must be confident of the design to back it with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Get a Harley...
He said under 13,000.....

Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,495,596 times
Nissan Versa. Ugly as sin but very cheap and Nissan makes a new car without tons of features to keep costs down.

Actually starts under 10 grand. The new one is coming so if you want a deal on a new car, wait for the 2012 to arrive then get a 2011 model for under invoice. New car for 8 or 9k?
2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback & Sedan | Nissan USA Official Site

Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,384,772 times
I was a given a Yaris sedan when I requested mid size from Hertz a couple weeks ago, for my trip into NYC (about 70 minutes away) for the night and then off to JFK in the morning. Felt car was ver underpowered, didn't like the inteior set up and didn't feel the safe driving it on the highway because it's too small (my usual car is a late 90s Jeep Cherokee). Thank god they gave me a big discount to take it...

Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Check out the Toyota Yaris.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have 2 of them,very economical and reliable, i prefer the sedan version but some like the hatchback.. and yes thats a bash in front of the drivers door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I was a given a Yaris sedan when I requested mid size from Hertz a couple weeks ago, ... Felt car was ver underpowered, didn't like the inteior set up and didn't feel the safe driving it on the highway ...

YMMV
, I just rented a 2011 yesterday, I definitely liked the (3) 2010 Yaris's I rented last year much better.

They had AC and AUTO, , and each got 38-40 mpg in the mountains with AC.

I had one up to 110mph and it felt ok.

$13k... might be cheaper in today's $$ than my $3000 1976 StealthRabbit (new)... I get them for $35 these days at the towing auction and they still get 50 mpg on free fryer grease (no AC on mine, BUT I have seen a few with AC)

Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I was a given a Yaris sedan when I requested mid size from Hertz a couple weeks ago, for my trip into NYC (about 70 minutes away) for the night and then off to JFK in the morning. Felt car was ver underpowered, didn't like the inteior set up and didn't feel the safe driving it on the highway because it's too small (my usual car is a late 90s Jeep Cherokee). Thank god they gave me a big discount to take it...
I'd say coming from a large American SUV the Yaris would take a bit of getting used to, but as gas prices rise smaller more economical cars will become the norm for most people,. Around the world where gas prices are much higher than in the USA that Jeep Cherokee would be a vehicle only the very rich could afford.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,513,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You are gonna be hard pressed to find a new "reliable" car for under $13,000.
Hyundai has some new cards right around that price point maybe a little over.

I personally would buy a used Camry with a few miles on it over a new Cobalt or some GM car you can get for that price.

I got a Camry with about 100k on it. I juts passed 190k and all I have had to do to the car is replace a rear stabalizer bar. Got the part for $100 an a buddy put it on for me.

I'm pretty hard on this car too, don't get oil changes on time, I accelerate to lights and then brake, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,725,202 times
I just bought a new Hyundai Elantra. Nice performance with the 6 speed auto. It's rated at 40 mpg highway. The performance and fuel economy is much better than the Corolla.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:20 PM

7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times
I just bought a Kia Rio Today.

It was between a Hyndai Accentand the Rio. Both were 2010 models, both had mild hail damage (to be repaired by dealer upon purchase), and each was priced at about $12,000.

I had originally gone out to find a good used car under $10,000; and found there are NONE to be had, unless you want to buy an older car with very high mileage and no warranty from Joe Blows sign and go, and take your chances.

People just aren't trading in cars like they used to, especially small cars.

The Hyndai was in a color I preferred, but I thought it had absolutely no pick-up, and it was even worse with the air conditioner on. It had 37,000 miles and was still un the manuracturers warranty. It was stripped down ( no power window, etc.) and I think it was probably a former rental car.

The Rio had definitely more get up and go (for a 4 cylinder econobox), and much more interior room for a car about the same size externally as the Accent. It has 15,000 miles on it.

I have heard better things about Hyndais reliability than I have Rios, but I bought the Rio anyway because I like more "pep" in a car, especially in a car with an automatic transmission.

I purchased the extended warranty with the Rio which added an extra $20.00 to the payment each month, for my peace of mind. Should I have done that? I'm reconsidering now - it was still under the manufacturers warrenty up to 60,000 miles.

I put $2,000 down, financed the rest, and my payments will still be under $200 for a car that is practically new.

If I could have found one, I would have loved to have had a Toyota Echo. Wonder why they stopped making those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive