Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times

Advertisements

Shell, Sun co , BP, Sinclair, spur, flying-J, etc etc ..... all of the fuel these stations can come from the same refinery and are the same when they leave the refinery.
The refinery produces 94 octane every station getting 94 octane is getting the same fuel the only difference is the additives.

This one storage tank being better than another is hog wash.
They all are the same and have to be replaced useing the same schedule.

Shell is trying to tell me that the fuel that they got from Murphy oil is there v-power fuel?

You and I would be seeing a lot more "shell tanker trucks" because this fuel is only produced by shell at there refinery?

But we don't have any shell refinery's in our area.
Just a Murphy oil refinery

If you want good fuel use a high volume station this will grantee that your fuel is fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Shell, Sun co , BP, Sinclair, spur, flying-J, etc etc ..... all of the fuel these stations can come from the same refinery and are the same when they leave the refinery.
The refinery produces 94 octane every station getting 94 octane is getting the same fuel the only difference is the additives.

This one storage tank being better than another is hog wash.
They all are the same and have to be replaced useing the same schedule.

Shell is trying to tell me that the fuel that they got from Murphy oil is there v-power fuel?

You and I would be seeing a lot more "shell tanker trucks" because this fuel is only produced by shell at there refinery?

But we don't have any shell refinery's in our area.
Just a Murphy oil refinery

If you want good fuel use a high volume station this will grantee that your fuel is fresh.
I only know the results I saw. Why did my GTO get knock running Delta 93, but had no issue on Shell 93?

I agree that gas is gas is gas. The refinery is producing the octane rated gas and that's it. The additive packages do vary and they may be of benefit, or at least GM, BMW, Toyota and Honda think so and recommend those fuels for their cars. What also varies isn't the tank farm storage tank, but the individual retail facilities storage tanks. All "Tier One" branded stations have to meet high standards for their onsite storage tanks. These standards don't really exist for the other brands.

I guess FWIW, Shell V-power = Murphy Fuel + Shell's additive package.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
As much as I would like to villify Big Oil, I do not believe it is "all the same." I realize all oil comes from refineries, but I also know that tanker trucks have divided compartments. They can decide who is going where and to what before loading the truck and Shell V-Power vs Chevron Techron and so on and so forth are the same refined oil + that companies detergent and additive package. Anything less and consumer groups would be all over them.

Yes, I exclusively use Shell V-Power in my vehicles.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Also from what I understand, Shell doesn't use ethanol in their fuel. Not sure if this is a local thing or every Shell.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
That would be hard to believe.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Also from what I understand, Shell doesn't use ethanol in their fuel. Not sure if this is a local thing or every Shell.
Ethanol usage is entirely dependent on where you live, but just about every station is now using up to a 10% blend. There is no national law requiring it, but there are many local/state laws that do as well as laws that ban the use of MTBE in gasoline. The only ready replacement for MTBE is ethanol. At this point I couldn't actually think of an area that didn't use it, maybe Alaska? Living in Kentucky, you are solidly in the corn belt and every station should be pumping up to 10% ethanol blend. FWIW, stations are only required to disclose ethanol blending based on local/state law.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ethanol usage is entirely dependent on where you live, but just about every station is now using up to a 10% blend. There is no national law requiring it, but there are many local/state laws that do as well as laws that ban the use of MTBE in gasoline. The only ready replacement for MTBE is ethanol. At this point I couldn't actually think of an area that didn't use it, maybe Alaska? Living in Kentucky, you are solidly in the corn belt and every station should be pumping up to 10% ethanol blend. FWIW, stations are only required to disclose ethanol blending based on local/state law.
We may have a local law here regarding the posting of ethanol, I am not completely sure. I will have to look into it more. I do know that all the station in town have stickers on the pumps stating the 10% ethanol, except the Shell station in question. They are the only one's in town without a sticker. What's even more weird is that they are the busiest station in town. I guess it doesn't really matter. My cars can hold up to 10%, as will most other vehicles.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Shell or any other station is not blending fuel at the pump.

Crude oil is refined at a refinery.
It is then transported by pipe line to the fuel depot or tank farm where you will see the different tanks.

It is at the fuel depot that the additives are added when a tanker shows up. The delivery guy or station attendant is not adding any additives at the station when the fuel is delivered.

Tankers have divided tanks they can carry 2,3,4 different fuels at once.

All of our fuel comes from the same refinery. So it all starts at the same place and is the same. Be Reg, Mid, or High octaneor diesel fuel.
It's not until the additives have been added that it becomes shells fuel

When a tanker(doesn't matter what the name on the side of the tanker is) that is delivering fuel to shell arrives at the fuel depot, the additive package for shell is added to the fuel.

Then if on that same load a different section of the tanker is filled, then driveled to Sinclare. With Sinclare's additive package.

When fuel is blended like diesel fuel, In the winter it is a blend of #2 & #1 this blending and additive package is done before the fuel gets to the station.

The blending is not done at the station nor is a additive package being added at the station.

If you wish to pay more for shells additives that is your choice.

Now before you say "yes it is snow~" ask your self this simple questions. Where is this big tank of additives at the station and do you think the 16yr old high school girl is going to go out and measure out the additive package and add it to the tank during the delivery.

really.
Wrong. The only thing blended at the station is mid grade (2 parts regular and 1 part premium). So they do blend at the station. There's very few places that have a tank for mid grade. We load over 50k bbls of fuel over our rack. ZERO bbls are for mid grade. We just don't carry it.

And some trucks have 5 compartments so they can have up to 5 different types of fuel.

Everything else is right. Gas and Diesel is all the same until the truck comes and loads gas for his supplier. Once he starts loading he gets additives injected into his gas or diesel that makes everyones gas different. But most places like Kroger, HEB and the other places all use the same additives. So their gases are the same. Not saying HEB and Krogers is the same but not all gas is different even at the pump. Some additives are better than others. You never want to run your car without them. Or else it will crap out in a few months. I'm not sure about Shell and their "Nitrogen" additive. Seems like marketing to me.

Last edited by piyf; 04-19-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We may have a local law here regarding the posting of ethanol, I am not completely sure. I will have to look into it more. I do know that all the station in town have stickers on the pumps stating the 10% ethanol, except the Shell station in question. They are the only one's in town without a sticker. What's even more weird is that they are the busiest station in town. I guess it doesn't really matter. My cars can hold up to 10%, as will most other vehicles.
There's some stations here (a hande full) that have gas without ethanol. And I bet it makes the farmers angry. They need they're handouts.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,041 times
Heard from a friend (owns a motorcycle shop) who said he has a customer who is a shell employee who told him the low octane shell fuel in 10%, mid grade is 5% & the premium or V Power has no ethanol. I run the highest grade I can Finn and my Harley seems to be doing well on the V Power fuel. Anyone else heard something like this guy is saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive