Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times

Advertisements

The "Yellow-Top" Optima has a good reputation as a "deep cycle" battery for those who need that capability. It also has supposedly superior resistance from damage from vibration, which is why it is a recommended battery in many diesel vehicles, where engine vibration is more common. I've had mixed results with the "Red Top" battery, and I've heard the same stories of reduced longevity with it in the newer versions. I haven't heard those complaints about the Yellow-Top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I've had about five of them in various vehicles. I've used yellow and red tops. My cars usually have aftermarket sound systems, some larger then others and I just like having more CCA.

Lately the quality of the batteries has come in to question. I have noticed personally that the newer ones don't seem to be as good as the older ones. I'm going to try Odyssey next time as you don't have to worry about picking between yellow and red which is perfect for me because I don't like to run two batteries and I don't compete with the vehicle not running in a sound system battle.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I've noticed that they (optima) have not held up like the advertising states.

We used them in our plow trucks and they do not hold up any better than a standard battery and at the extra cost they are no bargain.
$0.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive