Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times

Advertisements

If I go down the route of a used car, it won't be more than 4 or five years old. Are there any things I should look for or hear that would cause a problem?

THings I've thought:

Test Drive
Listen and feel for transmission problem
LIsten to exhaust
Check out the tires
Feel out the brakes
Check the oil

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,122 times
Check for grease from the CV joints flung around the wheels/tire well.
I'd also check if the bottom engine cover is still on and the bottom of bumper still intact.
I suggest arranging to bring the car to Pepboys or the likes, that offer car buying inspections.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Matching tires. If all four tires are the same brand, same type, and similar tread wear, and the spare has never been used, what does that tell you? That the previous owners were diligent about maintenance, maybe even rotated the tires, and replaced tires all at once when needed as good preventive maintenance, not one at a time when they became dangerous. And also that the front end and alignment are probably OK, because all four tires were wearing uniformly. Unless it has brand new tires, which were just put on by the seller, which is a sign that the previous owner let the tires get really bad (and maybe other things, too).

You want to know something about the general attitude and psychology of the previous owner, which can be a clue to how well he maintained a car. What kind of person loses the owner's manual? Is there a cheap Fram (or OE) air filter and dim off-brand headlight bulbs? What kind of radio stations are on the presets?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-19-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I suggest arranging to bring the car to Pepboys or the likes, that offer car buying inspections.
Unless you seriously know what you're doing then this is the best suggestion of all. I've been buying and driving used cars for close to 30 years where I presently live and we don't have "Pepboys" or similar around but I DO know of and trust a good mechanic who, for $50 will go and check on a car after I've done my initial and limited experience-based "inspection". Learned a lot and saved a lot in the process!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Unless you seriously know what you're doing then this is the best suggestion of all. I've been buying and driving used cars for close to 30 years where I presently live and we don't have "Pepboys" or similar around but I DO know of and trust a good mechanic who, for $50 will go and check on a car after I've done my initial and limited experience-based "inspection". Learned a lot and saved a lot in the process!
Bringing the car to a certified mechanic of your choice is the best way to go, if the seller refuses this request dont buy the car..

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Bringing the car to a certified mechanic of your choice is the best way to go, if the seller refuses this request dont buy the car..
I'm sorry but DUH! If any seller of a used car refuses to allow the prospective buyer's mechanic to check out the vehicle then obviously one runs for the hills! That's "Buying Used Auto 101"!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Matching tires. If all four tires are the same brand, same type, and similar tread wear, and the spare has never been used, what does that tell you? That the previous owners were diligent about maintenance, maybe even rotated the tires, and replaced tires all at once when needed as good preventive maintenance, not one at a time when they became dangerous. And also that the front end and alignment are probably OK, because all four tires were wearing uniformly. Unless it has brand new tires, which were just put on by the seller, which is a sign that the previous owner let the tires get really bad (and maybe other things, too).

You want to know something about the general attitude and psychology of the previous owner, which can be a clue to how well he maintained a car. What kind of person loses the owner's manual? Is there a cheap Fram (or OE) air filter and dim off-brand headlight bulbs? What kind of radio stations are on the presets?
What will the radio stations tell about a person? Curious as to what that means about buying a car....

Everything else sounds great but radio presets????

Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 PM

303 posts, read 603,748 times
Vtec j/k

rust spots

Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
One of the things I look for is whether or not the car has been modified in anyway. Any aftermarket parts, or evidence of them being installed can be a trouble sign. Additionally, any aftermarket electronics whether it's a remote start, alarm, radio, or sound system are always no-no's on my list unless I know the people who did the work and can trust that it was done right.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Matching tires. If all four tires are the same brand, same type, and similar tread wear, and the spare has never been used, what does that tell you?
LMAO, excellent observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive