Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
 
20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Reputation: 10270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Within about 4-8 weeks, we are likely going to be purchasing a brand new vehicle 2011-2012, without financing it. I am unsure of what I am going to purchase, will likely be between a $25K-$35K car/truck.

I read somewhere where dealers really dont really like for you to pay for the entire car because it knocks them out of making a profit on financing, but I always thought most people did their own financing like through their own bank?

I have emailed a couple dealers trying to get some info on options and special ordering. One kept bugging me by email, even saying they didnt mean to "bombard" me with emails. I replied and said it was OK and asked about a certain option on a certain model and if it was possible for me to get it that way and I did mention that it would be cash purchase (he had asked in the email if I needed help with financing). He has not replied as if they either think I am bluffing or they dont want to sell one straight out.

I am wondering now; do I get a price in writing before I tell them I am paying cash? I am wondering if I will not get as good of a price if I purchase straight out?

At what point in the sale (after I pinpoint what make/model/options I want) to the salesman that I dont want to finance?

Thanks.
There is no secret. No secret handshake. No games.

All information about the price and available options of new cars is readily available online.

Build your car online. As long as it's not something that is hard to find, or options that are difficult to get, you can get the dealers invoice price.

How much are you willing to pay for profit?

Make the offer. Order the car. Go on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Reputation: 2378
I'd research everything on Edmunds.com, find out invoice price, how much others are paying etc... and request a quote on Edmunds or directly from the dealership's internet sales department. Then, just show up! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Reputation: 1659
Getting a dealer to give you a price so you can just hand him the money will be VERY VERY hard. They aren't set up to work that way. They are there to price the customer first then price the car, Having cash makes this not work.As far as "invoices" go you never have a way to know what is fact or fiction when they show you something printed on paper and call it "an invoice" . The car maker all the way down to the car lot all are working together and playing by their own rules..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Reputation: 10120
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Wrong. Everyone cares. Especially the salesperson because it cuts into their commission.
No.

Salespeople generally don't get paid on the back end. And even if they do, it doesn't compare to what the finance manager gets. Salespeople just want to sell the car. They aren't going to risk blowing a deal arguing about how you pay over a few dollars they get on reserve - if their pay plan is set up that way. This isn't about wether they get paid or not, this about whether they are going to be upset over how you do it - the answer is no.

Even if you finance it the dealership gets all their money right away (or within a couple of days when the contract clears). The bank sends the dealer a check and you pay the bank. The dealer doesn't have to wait 60 months or whatever to get paid piece by piece. Cash, check or loan, they get their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
D THEN I pulled out my 500 dollar off coupon...and THEN I told them I was paying cash. The look on their faces was priceless.
Oh you're such a stud. You showed them.

Your silly print off web coupon is not the same as a manufacturer's rebate that comes from the manufacturer. That is what I was referring too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Reputation: 1659
True story is I know of a guy who saw a truck he wanted on a new car lot and evidently didnt care to try to even bargin for a price. He went into the sales office and told them he wanted the red and white pick up outside and if they would just tell him how much it would be he would write them a check right then..After they wanted to argue with him about this simple request for over an hour,,,He just left and didnt buy squat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Reputation: 16273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Getting a dealer to give you a price so you can just hand him the money will be VERY VERY hard. They aren't set up to work that way. They are there to price the customer first then price the car, Having cash makes this not work.As far as "invoices" go you never have a way to know what is fact or fiction when they show you something printed on paper and call it "an invoice" . The car maker all the way down to the car lot all are working together and playing by their own rules..
I've never had a problem with it. There is no question though for my next car purchase I will work it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No.

Salespeople generally don't get paid on the back end.
Absolutely false. They do in most decent dealerships, and even some crappy ones. The percentage varies, but ever dealership I know of around here, even VT dealerships, the salespeople get a percentage of the back end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And even if they do, it doesn't compare to what the finance manager gets.
That's because his job is to sell financing. A salesperson's job is to sell the car and the financing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Salespeople just want to sell the car. They aren't going to risk blowing a deal arguing about how you pay over a few dollars they get on reserve - if their pay plan is set up that way. This isn't about wether they get paid or not, this about whether they are going to be upset over how you do it - the answer is no.
Given that a nice back-end can turn a mini deal into a decent deal, salespeople care a lot about the financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Reputation: 10120
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Absolutely false. They do in most decent dealerships, and even some crappy ones. The percentage varies, but ever dealership I know of around here, even VT dealerships, the salespeople get a percentage of the back end.
And I'm going to tell you they don't in most or the percentage is much smaller then the f&i guy's. I don't care if you think your right, your never going to convince me that a salesperson is going to try to talk you out of paying cash. You are really just arguing something you can't prove for no reason. It isn't the issue here. "Absolutely false." you say, what a joke.

Quote:
That's because his job is to sell financing. A salesperson's job is to sell the car.
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
Given that a nice back-end can turn a mini deal into a decent deal, salespeople care a lot about the financing.
Given that a mini deal is better then no deal, a salesperson isn't going to spend much time trying to sell financing to a person who isn't interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And I'm going to tell you they don't in most or the percentage is much smaller then the f&i guy's. I don't care if you think your right, your never going to convince me that a salesperson is going to try to talk you out of paying cash. You are really just arguing something you can't prove for no reason. It isn't the issue here. "Absolutely false." you say, what a joke.

Fixed it for you.

Given that a mini deal is better then no deal, a salesperson isn't going to spend much time trying to sell financing to a person who isn't interested.


Well, given that I sold cars for years, it really doesn't matter to me that you think you are right. We were instructed on how to sell financing and other things because we spent all the time with the customer.

And pretty much every dealership around here that I know of (and that's quite a few) cuts the salesperson in on the back end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
 
25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Reputation: 23295
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Well, given that I sold cars for years, it really doesn't matter to me that you think you are right. We were instructed on how to sell financing and other things because we spent all the time with the customer.

And pretty much every dealership around here that I know of (and that's quite a few) cuts the salesperson in on the back end.
A long time friend of mine is part owner of a dealership with his brothers. I can attest to the fact the salespeople do indeed get some sort of compensation for selling financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top