Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:41 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

Back when I was in high school I use to enjoy cleaning my car by hand, inside and out, on my weekend off, weather permitting. Since then I haven’t lived in an area with any type of covered parking to allow such activity. Soon we’ll be moving to a home with a paved driveway and covered parking. I’m looking forward to hand washing our cars during my days off for relaxation. Anyone else find such activity relaxing and enjoyable?

I remember back in the 70s and 80s some people would put a thick layer of wax paste on their car and leave it on as they drive around town. I had an old car that I compounded once to restore the base color and then wax and buff several times.

I know car cleaning technology has changed since the late 80s. I’ve never used a clay bar. Is there a cleaning spray that will help remove more grime from the paint after washing? If there is, should I still use a clay bar? Our cars have a clear coat paint with light scratches you can see at angles. What would be a good method to removing or hiding such marks? Should I avoid compounding the paint because of the clear coat. Is wax paste still a viable option for affordable paint protection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No, but I drive my truck through a car wash at least once a year, and when I get gas I sometimes throw out all the empty water bottles lying on the floor of the passenger side. Both can be somewhat relaxing.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Is wax paste still a viable option for affordable paint protection?
I use Adam's wax on my Merkur show car and all of my other cars, too. It really is great stuff.
Another popular product at car shows is Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It seems like everyone uses it.
I go though a couple of bottles a year.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:52 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I know car cleaning technology has changed since the late 80s. I’ve never used a clay bar. Is there a cleaning spray that will help remove more grime from the paint after washing? If there is, should I still use a clay bar? Our cars have a clear coat paint with light scratches you can see at angles. What would be a good method to removing or hiding such marks? Should I avoid compounding the paint because of the clear coat. Is wax paste still a viable option for affordable paint protection?
Hit it with some CarPro Iron X before you clay bar the paint. It will remove all the iron deposits (hence the name) and rail dust that is still on your paint from when the car was originally shipped by rail. All you need to do is spray it on and let it dwell for a few minutes, then rinse it off when it starts to "bleed".

Yes, get a good detail spray. You will need it for lubrication if you're planning to clay the paint anyway. You can buy a clay bar kit from Meguiars that will come with a bottle of detail spray included. They sell them at Target, Wal-Mart and most local auto parts stores.

You can compound a clear coat finish. Detailers do it every day. Just don't make a habit of it, since you're removing a small layer of clear coat each time.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I am glad I am not the only one that gets satisfaction from washing my cars. I feel it is a feeling of accomplishment and somehow, I think the car drives better when clean. LOL Our cars are old by most standards : '09 Lexus (41K) and '05 Cadillac (71K). They are garage queens as well so still look pretty good.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
No not really. I take my cars to a car wash once a month or so.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
If you're really into car washing, go to YouTube. There is an entire amateur car detailing subculture.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:35 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
I understand how washing a car can be relaxing, but Im a little obsessed with my car.

If you have scratches or swirls in your paint, nothing is going to have a chance at getting rid of them other than buffing/compounding.
Also take a look at what youre using to wash the cars, and how youre doing it. Almost anything will trap dirt in your washcloths/sponges and scratch the paint. Certain car wash brushes do it too.

I actually dont know what clay barring a paint job does, but AFAIK it doesnt help with scratches, only cleaning.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
I enjoy washing and waxing my cars, too. Partly out of nostalgia (my father showed me how to do it and it's something that we'd do together); partly because of the satisfaction I get from standing back and admiring a car when the work of washing and waxing it is complete. Even the beater car that has a bit of rust on it looks better and well-cared for after a good washing.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I actually dont know what clay barring a paint job does, but AFAIK it doesnt help with scratches, only cleaning.
It removes bonded contaminants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive