Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times

Advertisements

I rarely encounter "road rage" no matter what I'm driving....I don't necessarily consider fast or aggressive driving as road rage (certainly not when I'm driving like that, LOL and j/k sort of.)

I think sometimes it's a matter of perception...what annoys me most is the sort of half-conscious, witless driving that seems so common. People meandering onto the freeway on-ramp without using turn signals, those who putter along in the left or middle lane doing 60 mph, the person who keeps attempting to speed past on the right without noticing there's a slow semi in that lane so they have to hit the brakes and end up even further back.

I don't now (sob) but have had a few pretty sporty cars - Porsche 911, Saab Viggen, Mustang. What I noticed then: people, usually young men, would try to "challenge" me to race them or generally drive like Froot Loops. Now that my two vehicles are a beater truck and a bland minivan, not so much.

I also think it's an age thing....for me, anyhow. As I've gotten older, I find I let the little things bother me much less. Someone wants to cut in front of me, zoom up the left lane to cut in when there's construction and the lane is closing, tailgate unecessarily...used to make me froth with irritation but now I'm like meh, you're driving like an idiot and I'm not...have at it. I'll just make room and let you irritate someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,954 times
I have not gotten any speeding tickets since I drove a minivan (less police envy rage).

Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I think a guy driving a beater is more likely to kick your ass; he's more likely to be carrying around rage and resentment and he's also more likely to be inured to hardship and experienced at fighting.

A guy who gets his muscles at work whips the guy who gets his muscles at the healthclub every time.

You don't want to provoke men driving pickups, IME many are armed.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Same here. Road ragers in my area tend to drive pickups. The more modified or the more beat up the more dangerous. Expensive cars are less likely to be allowed to merge. Beaters tend to be given a wide berth because it is assumed they have no insurance and nobody wants to risk tangling with one.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Same here. Road ragers in my area tend to drive pickups. The more modified or the more beat up the more dangerous. Expensive cars are less likely to be allowed to merge. Beaters tend to be given a wide berth because it is assumed they have no insurance and nobody wants to risk tangling with one.
I've been a bit more aggressive recently, particularly when it comes to merging and I'm surprised with the amount of leniency given.. although I don't drive a pickup, my beater is a '99 Civic with almost 160K and countless dents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive