Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

Whenever I drive my friend's new Ford Fusion, I notice a lot more aggressive tailgaters in the rear view mirror than when driving my old but fully working Honda Civic from the 90s. Anyone else notice something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
No, the people I notice getting tailgated are the ones driving 5-10mph under the speed limit on a 2 lane road, and they are usually elderly or yacking on their phone.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
When I was driving a POS '86 Saab after I first moved to LA, people were pretty damn aggressive towards me... cut me off frequently, etc. I noticed that any time I rented a Hyundai or a Kia, it was the same deal, and though people were pretty benign with my Jetta, after my ex sideswiped it really badly and it looked like hell, people who came up on that side of the car were more aggressive.

Contrast this when I was driving a Lexus, Audi, Porsche, etc. for work... people seemed much more apt to give you a wide berth and let you in. So, I'd say it's the opposite...

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Nope, not here, to both of the above.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I'm not sure if its just imagined or what but I notice actually that when I'm driving a slower car people tend to drive like *******s around me (more so than usual). Years ago when I had my 1995 300ZX I had to drive my mothers VW New Beetle for a couple of days while my car was getting worked on and particularly on the freeway people would cut me off, no one would let me switch lanes, etc. Today driving the G35 or 5 series everything is as expected but when I'm driving my girlfriends 2003 Honda Accord I get a lot of the same deal.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: We have a word filter, let it work.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Other way around for me. I'm a lot less nice to any driver with a car $40K and up. Want into traffic, Mr. E-Class? You'll have to wait.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Nope, have a POS 1980-something Subaru and an Acura. I get treated the same way.

Normally if I see someone in my rear view mirror I get out of their way no matter what speed I'm driving at...

If one is an idiot with something to prove driving exactly the speed limit in the left lane.. I would expect to have some pissed off people on their bumper.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Nope doesn't matter what I drive people still drive like *******s around me lol

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Don't bypass the word filter.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Maybe not road-rage per se, but perhaps a sort of passive-aggressive territorial thing I've noticed while driving in the Central Valley of CA (in my nice Mustang Cobra) is that if you are in the fast line, someone can always be counted on to get right up on your behind. And they will stay there indefinitely if you don't move. But if/when you do move, they stay there. And sometimes they will slow down once you've moved. If you get back in front of them, they will crawl right back on you again. Conversely if you are in the slow lane and someone is behind you in the fast lane and you are coming up to a slow moving vehicle, they will speed up to prevent you from getting in front, but then again. Just stay there. I don't think it's really road rage nor do I think it's an urge to speed. I think it's just a territorial thing and these folks simply want some open space in front of them.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Maybe not road-rage per se, but perhaps a sort of passive-aggressive territorial thing I've noticed while driving in the Central Valley of CA (in my nice Mustang Cobra) is that if you are in the fast line, someone can always be counted on to get right up on your behind. And they will stay there indefinitely if you don't move. But if/when you do move, they stay there. And sometimes they will slow down once you've moved. If you get back in front of them, they will crawl right back on you again. Conversely if you are in the slow lane and someone is behind you in the fast lane and you are coming up to a slow moving vehicle, they will speed up to prevent you from getting in front, but then again. Just stay there. I don't think it's really road rage nor do I think it's an urge to speed. I think it's just a territorial thing and these folks simply want some open space in front of them.
If I'm at or less than my ideal distance from the car ahead of me and someone in behind tries to pass me and squeeze into that spot, I purposely speed up to prevent you from getting in. What's the point of passing 1 car? Especially when I don't have enough space to the next car ahead of me?

Now if I'm very far from the car ahead of me and you want to pass, I could care less..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive