Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times

Advertisements

Ah if the person got in front of my car holding up traffic I would have definitely laid on the horn and keep screaming out your window "I CAN"T HEAR YOU, I CAN"T HEAR YOU".

Yes I'm an instigator at times. The road is my turf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
haha, what did the mayor do??
Oh, she called me on it. During a council meeting, no less. Fortunately, that specific bunch of town bigwigs didn't hate the news media in general, or me in particular.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I lived in LA for five and a half years. Never had a gun pulled on me, but it happened to people often enough. A coworker of mine honked at a car full of dudes that was hurtling down the road and switched into the lane in front of him way too fast; they slowed down, and when he was about to get alongside, he started yelling. A guy in the back seat opened up. He had five bullet holes in his door. The cops ended up getting the guys and they all went to jail... warrants and previous incidents and whatnot...

LA is probably the road rage capital of America. Not even a week after I got there, some guy in an SUV chased my girlfriend and I for miles, screaming his head off - we didn't do anything. He just barrelled up behind us and started screaming. I got chased by a guy for a few miles up Lincoln Boulevard because he tried to do the fly-up-on-the-right-and-cut-you-off thing, but he didn't leave enough space and had to jam on his brakes. I pulled into a Safeway parking lot and he pulled in behind me, got out, saw I'm a pretty big dude and I was holding a tire iron, and got back in his truck, stat.

One gal tried to do the same thing and hit my car. Then, she started screaming hysterically and came at me. I just locked myself in the car and called the cops, even though I could have folded her like a wet noodle: I would have preferred the cops come and see her hysterical and kicking my car than her on the sidewalk, bawling, because she got a size 15 Doc Marten to the stomach (her insurance paid for the damage from the accident, and she settled for the damaged she caused by kicking it to prevent a lawsuit - it was only about a grand anyway).

A cabbie here in SF pulled a left in front of me and I had to jam on my brakes and lean on the horn. He did a U-turn and followed me, alternately screaming in Arabic and saying, "I kill you, F-you, I kill you!" etc. for a few blocks. The fact that I was ignoring him made him give up after awhile. There was also a guy who followed me off the Bay Bridge and got out of his car, but the cops saw that and got him. Each one of these situations were ones where someone tried to cut me off or went in front of me, and I simply didn't have time to brake and let them in, or I would have crashed. I don't drive like a nut, nor do I antagonize people. There are just some serious whackjobs out there, and I really prefer to do everything possible to ignore them.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Today, on my way to class tp take my final exam a lady almost ran me off the road. I got pissed , honked my horn and flipped her off. Case closed! Or so I thought. I was driving behind her for a while because we are headed in the same direction. Aftera while she speeds up to close around 65 miles an hour and get way passed me.
I keep driving and all of a sudden she is behind me. She must have pulled off somewhere and waited for me to pass so she could get in behind me. She now follows me around all over town. Finally at a red light I hurry up into the turning lane before she has the chance to get in behind me again.Instead she is standing at the light next to me holding up traffic shouting at me through her window. Moderator cut: Too much information, hence why the filter blocks out words After 15 seconds she is forced to leave because she is holding people up next to her. I was freaked out and learned one important thing. Never pull stupid stunts like I do because you never know what maniacs that are out there on the roads.
That's the nice thing about Utah:

I don't like to pack heat wherever I go on my belt, but Colonel Colt rides along in my glove box, just in case.

Utah Code

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I'm going to guess you're opposed to civilians having the right to carry so there is little point in continuing this conversation. I sincerely hope you're never in a situation where the cops are needed. Most of the time they're at least 3 mins away and you'll find that to be 2 mins 59 secs too late.

That is an absurd assumption since I said that it is a good idea to have a gun at home. I have no problem with citizens having the right to carry. And I am glad to have people around with guns in case some nut job shows up. As long as those people have some idea how and when to use those guns.

However I am opposed to people pulling out guns over a yelling fest or a traffic incident. I am opposed to people who think that they are cowboys and suddenly big and powerful because they have a gun in their glove box, or who think that they have some magical power that will allow them to suddenly have a gun in their hand in time to do anything about it if a person gets out of a car with a gun. ither the gun will still be in your glove box when you realize that the other guy has a weapon and it is too late, or you will be pulling your gun out every time someone gets out of their car or yells at you, and then when they see you going for a gun, they will feel and be justified in pulling out their gun and shooting you first. If you pull the gun you are the aggressor and the guilty party. If you do not pull a gun, you will not have time to do so in the type of crises that you described. If you are going to pull your gun every time someone gets out and yells at you just in case they might have a gun themselves, then no, I do not want you carrying a gun. You will shoot someone when they take a pen out of their pocket to write down your license number.

That kind of failure to think things through and be aware of the reailty of events is scary when we are talking about someone having a gun. It shows that that person is not throughly familiar with gun safety or when it is appropriate to rely on or utilze a gun. A gun in a glove box is virtually useless in most crises situations and if someone cannot understand that, I do not like the fact that such a person can have a gun in thier glove box. I am opposed to people who make rash decisions from having carry permits, but since there is no way to sort out such people there is nothing that can be done.

If someone comes into a building or a crowd and starts shooting people - if there are people with guns they cna stop them (however 90% of such people could not hit a person under that kind of pressure and would probably end up shooting innocent bystanders or buildings. Very few people, even very few cops understand how difficult it is to calmly pull out a gun, flip the safety, take stance aim and shoot someone who is moving around and fireing a weapon, potentially at you. Not even trained cops can do that very well. Hence you get situations like that had in LA where the cops fired something like 600 rounds and never hit the bad guys.

Yes, in many cases I would rather take the risk of waiting for a cop than take the risk of someone shooting me when I reach into my jacket to get my cell phone to call the cops, or simply because they loose their temper. Making guns illegal is not the answer (and not constitutional), but I do wish that there was some way to prevent people who do not really know what a gun is for from carrying one around thinking that it may be useful in a traffic incident.

People who think that guns are for times when someone cuts you off, or yells at you, should not have guns. I wish we could identify such people and take them away. Maybe someday, but not yet. .

Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Man some of you guys are crazy. I have had my fair share of road rage incidents but I have neve had it or caused it to escalate to me getting out of the car. I just always assume the other person is crazy and has a gun and will use it. Me being six foot three and 240 has nothing to do with it except giving them another excuse to pull the trigger particularly if it is a woman. I've been driving lowered imports practically all my life and it seems that is reason enough for people to cut me off, not let me merge or tail gate me. Most times I ignore it especially if my wife and daughter are with me but I have handed out a few one finger salutes on rare occasions and always felt silly afterwards. But it is much more fun casually speeding up or slowing down or changing lanes is if I dont care. That usually makes the other person move on or do something else to make them look stupid - either is fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Don't flip people off in traffic. Also try to avoid posting topics like this. All the internet tough guys come in here and crow about what bad asses they are and nobody needs to hear this garbage.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean "What if we were both carrying?"

Well, then you would both deserve what you get, and there's a 50-50 chance that he's quicker than you are.

Everybody who is "carrying" is the good guy, and responsible, and well-trained with firearms, and knows how to use the gun. Right? Or is it only you? You can't have it both ways.

The other guy gets out of his car, and YOU are carrying. Now he has to defend himself against you---the reason he carries is to defend his family from you, but he "hopes he never has to use it". But now he does. But you're the tough guy, who's not going to shoot last.

Would you shoot an unarmed man, just because he confronted you verbally in a gas station? Would you shoot an armed man? Would you shoot first? If you would shoot first, and you were carrying with the intent of shooting first, what does that make you? A murderer? A homicidal maniac? Or just a sad disillusioned fool, out looking for trouble. In other words . . .
Both of them ending up dead would be a net gain for society if you want my honest opinion. (One guy ending up dead and the other guy ending up locked away safely for a long time would be the 2nd place winner). If you're the type of guy who thinks it's just fine to escalate confrontational situations with others on the road because you've got your 9mm "trump card" handy in case things get really sticky, I'm sorry, you're a menace to the people around you and deserve whatever happens.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 04-26-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Two years ago a friend of my sons Dad got into an argument with the driver of a hummer who parked too close to his car. One thing lead to another and the husband of the Hummer driver who had a carry permit took his gun and killed the guy who even though he had thrown a few punches was unarmed. The killer got 40 years.Thats why I never stop when flipping the finger/ It harder to hit a moving target...The driver of the hummer was a woman who was quick to talk junk.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadventurer View Post
don't flip people off in traffic. Also try to avoid posting topics like this. All the internet tough guys come in here and crow about what bad asses they are and nobody needs to hear this garbage.

right!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive