Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Overheating has nothing to do with ethanol-free versus E10. The coolant system is a closed system that is not affected by the fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denette View Post
I started putting ethanol free gas in my car for a couple of months...then price spread went to .75 cents and started back with 10% ethanol...now car has overheated..we changed thermostat and radiator and still overheating...hoping we can siphon gas out and put ethanol free in and it will stop overheating problem??? It has never had any overheating before this. Do you think we have a chance?? of correcting problem?? or have we messed up computer..2001 LHS Chrysler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Overheating has nothing to do with ethanol-free versus E10. The coolant system is a closed system that is not affected by the fuel.
drover is right. it is just a coincidence that you started overheating after switching back. i am betting you have a bad head gasket.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
not 100% true.. But, you are correct in saying that the problem has nothing to do with the fuel.

Ethanol DOES burn hotter than regular gasoline.. so, your engine will run hotter on an ethanol blend vs regular gas.. But.. That temperature difference is nowhere near enough to cause a car to start overheating.

I'm not a chemist, but i'd say we're talking a couple of degrees difference between E-10 and 'regular' gas. At most.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
not 100% true.. But, you are correct in saying that the problem has nothing to do with the fuel.

Ethanol DOES burn hotter than regular gasoline.. so, your engine will run hotter on an ethanol blend vs regular gas.. But.. That temperature difference is nowhere near enough to cause a car to start overheating.

I'm not a chemist, but i'd say we're talking a couple of degrees difference between E-10 and 'regular' gas. At most.
no it doesnt. ethanol burns colder than gasoline does, which is why there is less energy per gallon of ethanol than gasoline. and the temperature different is not a couple of degrees either, but rather substantially more than that, more like 100 degrees.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
You're not going to save money going from Gas to E85 as you burn about 30% more per mile.

The one benifit you will get is that it cleans out the entire fuel system and cleans out the carbon from the valves and pistons in couple of tanks.

I wouldn't buy it every tank but running a couple of tanks back to back a couple of times per year is a great way to clean everything out.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
well, if you want to damage your engine and get crappier gas mileage, you're entitled.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...514_058678.htm

Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I can assume that everybody knows this thread started in 2011. Obviously the OP won't be reading anything new.

Ethanol does not burn hotter, it burns cooler. For gas, the BTU rating, depending on formulation, is 114,000BTUs, E10 is 105-111,000 BTUs, and E85 is 86,000BTUs, all depending on formulation. Ethanol is a great solvent therefore is a good fuel system cleaner. It is corrosive so should not be used in any of the older vehicles not rated for ethanol. The stoic ratio for gasoline is 14.5-14.7:1 while ethanol is 9:1 so the air fuel ratio is wrong in our engines for it to be used as a fuel but the dimwits in DC seem to think using a food for fuel is smart. Engines can be configured to burn straight ethanol like they do in Brazil but you cannot use gasoline in one that's so designed. It requires a minimum compression ratio of 12.5:1 and a recalibration of the A/F. Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water out of the air. It is not a long life fuel. As of todays date, there are zero motor oils in the US formulated to handle the water/condensate that comes with using E85 or the solvent properties of the fuel as some it will be washed into the oil. Seal life will be shorter as will gasket materials. Ethanol can be a fuel source. This nation is not setup to deal with it and I doubt it ever is. The fuels you buy and the availability as well as price are NOT subject to demand. The availability and price are 100% political. Don't like the price, don't hammer the oil companies, look to the morons in DC. If it were a free and open market we'd be having wells drilled just off of our Gulf shores and Kailfornia and not buying crude from folks that hate us. The oil is HERE. An expected 3000 year supply of it and that's considering NO genesis of the supplies which is proving to actual and real as dead wells in Texas are again pumping. All we need is DC to get the hell outa the way and let free market work. What a boost to jobs that would be. But I digress.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I can assume that everybody knows this thread started in 2011. Obviously the OP won't be reading anything new.

Ethanol does not burn hotter, it burns cooler. For gas, the BTU rating, depending on formulation, is 114,000BTUs, E10 is 105-111,000 BTUs, and E85 is 86,000BTUs, all depending on formulation. Ethanol is a great solvent therefore is a good fuel system cleaner. It is corrosive so should not be used in any of the older vehicles not rated for ethanol. The stoic ratio for gasoline is 14.5-14.7:1 while ethanol is 9:1 so the air fuel ratio is wrong in our engines for it to be used as a fuel but the dimwits in DC seem to think using a food for fuel is smart. Engines can be configured to burn straight ethanol like they do in Brazil but you cannot use gasoline in one that's so designed. It requires a minimum compression ratio of 12.5:1 and a recalibration of the A/F. Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water out of the air. It is not a long life fuel. As of todays date, there are zero motor oils in the US formulated to handle the water/condensate that comes with using E85 or the solvent properties of the fuel as some it will be washed into the oil. Seal life will be shorter as will gasket materials. Ethanol can be a fuel source. This nation is not setup to deal with it and I doubt it ever is. The fuels you buy and the availability as well as price are NOT subject to demand. The availability and price are 100% political. Don't like the price, don't hammer the oil companies, look to the morons in DC. If it were a free and open market we'd be having wells drilled just off of our Gulf shores and Kailfornia and not buying crude from folks that hate us. The oil is HERE. An expected 3000 year supply of it and that's considering NO genesis of the supplies which is proving to actual and real as dead wells in Texas are again pumping. All we need is DC to get the hell outa the way and let free market work. What a boost to jobs that would be. But I digress.
the bolded part is mostly wrong. you can run engines using straight ethanol on any compression ratio you can run gasoline on. in fact henry ford built the model T engine to run on gasoline or ethanol, and that engine had something like a 4.5:1 compression ratio(iirc). and you can run any gasoline engine on ethanol if you like, but as you noted the a/f ratio needs to be corrected.

that is easy enough with a bit of programming on the ECU, and a flex fuel sensor that calculates how much ethanol is in the fuel, and sends that information to the ECU.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Here's a great write up that disproves most of what Trapper says.

How to run your LS1 on E85 - LS1TECH

Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I am wondering if I should go ahead and start using E85 to save money on gas. I've had my Tahoe for almost a year and have only used regular gas. I haven't even noticed any E85 gas stations in my area. Can I really save a lot more by using only E85? Can you mix regular and E85? Any other Chevy owners use E85? If so, any feedback?
E85 is more for lower emissions, not for saving $. i think overall, at best you break even. But i don't see why bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive