Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
quick 10 minute photoshop of what I want to do with it...
Tasteful... have you considered those rims in black? I think it would compliment the graphics without overdoing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Actually the 4.6 if driven conservatively gets pretty decent MPG. A buddy's Cougar gets about 25 and it's a bigger and (I guess) heavier car with an automatic. The 'stang should do OK on economy.

There is something to be said for a FUN car that gets decent MPG instead of a strictly utilitarian A-to-B car like a Prius. (I mean if someone is actually having fun driving a Prius, post up, but I don't see it as a fun car...)

Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually the 4.6 if driven conservatively gets pretty decent MPG. A buddy's Cougar gets about 25 and it's a bigger and (I guess) heavier car with an automatic. The 'stang should do OK on economy.

There is something to be said for a FUN car that gets decent MPG instead of a strictly utilitarian A-to-B car like a Prius. (I mean if someone is actually having fun driving a Prius, post up, but I don't see it as a fun car...)
They aren't fun cars but I certainly see a lot of jack holes driving them WOT racing through traffic completely mitigating any fuel savings that can be had from driving such an ugly beast. People need to make a choice and stick with it. Either you wanted a conservative fuel sipper and paid the premium (both in initial cost and in visual/dynamic sacrifices) for that purpose or you want a sports car. Can't have both.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
You have people driving the Prius like they stole it in the (former) land of the Governator? I guess that shouldn't surprise me, but I agree if you are going to go the Prius route, you might as well drive it to optimize MPG because I doubt it's very satisfying to drive hard.

Maybe they just bought the Prius to get into the HOV lane?

Anyway to get back on topic that Mustang looks sweet, and a decent deal on the price, I don't see any reason you will regret the purchase.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
These cars will make gasoline rationing come quickly..

Mine gets 30 mpg on a trip down the highway to the shore with 3 people in it. 20 mpg overall according to the trip computer. This is better then most compacts 6 cylinder cars.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Mine gets 30 mpg on a trip down the highway to the shore with 3 people in it. 20 mpg overall according to the trip computer. This is better then most compacts 6 cylinder cars.
Sure it does.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Mother's towncar with the 4.6 will make 28 MPG without a sweat. My Lincoln LS with a 3.9 V8 will make 28 MPG on the highway. Mixed city and highway it easily makes 24mpg. So 30 MPG from a 4.6 is quite possible.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Tasteful... have you considered those rims in black? I think it would compliment the graphics without overdoing it.
I don't like black wheels (unless they have a deep polished lip, and then only on a black car). The polished sets off the metallic in the paint, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Sure it does.
Peddle your ingorance somewhere else. Mine AVERAGES, (with a 35mph speed average) 22 mpg in commute and around town driving, while getting on the throttle a lot. Getting 27-30 mpg on the highway when NOT hooning it isn't much of a problem. 5th gear is a tall overdrive (and I never use it under 40 mph for that reason).

AND, a Prius driving the average amount of miles per year uses as much fuel or more as this car does driving the amount of miles *I* drive per year. Same with my BMW. So it's not going to bring on fuel rationing any faster than the averag person buying a hybrid will (especially when a hybrid's gonna get extra taxed becasue ti doesnt' use enough fuel...)

Plus, I'm recycling a used car vs forcing another new one to be built, which is better for the environment.

Drove it to work with the top down again today. Lovin' it.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I don't like black wheels (unless they have a deep polished lip, and then only on a black car). The polished sets off the metallic in the paint, too.

Peddle your ingorance somewhere else. Mine AVERAGES, (with a 35mph speed average) 22 mpg in commute and around town driving, while getting on the throttle a lot. Getting 27-30 mpg on the highway when NOT hooning it isn't much of a problem. 5th gear is a tall overdrive (and I never use it under 40 mph for that reason).

AND, a Prius driving the average amount of miles per year uses as much fuel or more as this car does driving the amount of miles *I* drive per year. Same with my BMW. So it's not going to bring on fuel rationing any faster than the averag person buying a hybrid will (especially when a hybrid's gonna get extra taxed becasue ti doesnt' use enough fuel...)

Plus, I'm recycling a used car vs forcing another new one to be built, which is better for the environment.

Drove it to work with the top down again today. Lovin' it.
My 1995 Z-28 gets 26 -27 MPG on the freeway. In 6th gear 80 MPH is just a smidge below 2000 rpm. 65-70 mph is around 1600. THe engine is barely working at that speed. The mustangs have far superior technology. It is easy to believe that you can get that kind of mileage on the freeway with a strong overdrive.

One downside for me is that the Z-28 requries 91 octane at .20 more per gallon (sometimes more). Ouch. I filled it with 89 octane today for the first time ever to see how it does. I am sick of the absurd gas prices.

I rented a prius for a week. It was not fund to drive. In fact it was absolutely awful. I had hoped that I woudl love it because it intrigued me and I wanted to buy one. However after renting one for a week, I would not want one if it was free (I would accept it, sell it, and buy something better). Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Yeah, the Mustang (like my 740iL) uses regular gas without problem, which I'm happy about.

Not yet driving it with any thought towards fuel economy, though. Drove it to lunch today and coming back, with a friend in the car, got on it out of a low speed corner and the traction control let the tail start to come out nicely before simply straightening the car out. Nice that it lets you have a little bit of fun before saying "ok, enough." The BMW's traction control is an instant no-fun nanny that can actually be dangerous in some situations when it cuts throttle just when you really need it the most (like a bumpy left turn across traffic when there's enough room to make it with normal throttle, but then it cuts back due to detecting wheelspin, leaving you a bit vulnerable to oncoming cars that wouldn't otherwise be dangerous...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive