Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

I did that on a 90's vintage Saab 900. I tried to use 3-M spray glue on the old cloth and adding a new cloth like oiled paper from the first and last pages in a bible. The glue failed shortly after anyway. The foam liner was breaking down.

So I used stuffed arm chair buttons that have clear heads and screw into fabrics. I took that a step more and made copper domes for each one and glued those to the carpet tacks. The cloth was based on tans and brown hence the copper. Placing these in a offset but orderly mannor made it look as custom as it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM

96 posts, read 210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You spend $150.00 and get it replaced. Nothing else does a good job, unless your only interest is to keep it from tickling your hair...
Where do you get a headliner for $150? I asked the dealer and even with the 15% below list price they give me it's still something like $600!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
If you have a pressed on foam style headliner, the best way IMO is to buy a new one....styrofoam board and all.

You can buy just the material and then scrub the styrofoam real well with a brush and use a good glue like 3M 08090 glue. Only problem is you MUST get the board really clean of all the old foam. It's not easy to do. i know I've tried it before. Then when you put down the glue you have to be careful not to spray on too much or it will bleed thru the new headliner material. Again I've had this happen to me before.

Overall it's quite a bit of work and you have to be good at it. That includes not breaking the styrofoam backing when you take it down.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You spend $150.00 and get it replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
Where do you get a headliner for $150? I asked the dealer and even with the 15% below list price they give me it's still something like $600!

Come on folks... I replace headliners in my fleet of 28 VW's, look like new, and last I hope for ~10 yrs in our 120" rainy climate and leaky VW's

Get replacement 'foam backed' fabric at JoAnn's, fabric store, or or auto upholstery outlet ~ $15 for a BIG piece. Get the 3M spray contact cement mentioned earlier.

Take out the upper trim and drop the cardboard or fiber form and lay on garage floor.

Yank off the old stuff (foamed fabric). Take a very light wire brush (brass wires) and HAND brush off the loose foam / adhesive from the 'form'

Clean well with air compressor. Spray contact cement on form.

Take form to kitchen table and place it upside down.

With HELP place new fabric over the form and while holding a bit of tension (To avoid wrinkles), press down in center and work your way out using 'stretch' to keep free from wrinkles

Reinstall and put border trim back up.

Takes a couple hours (if no sunroof), takes about 2 - 4 more with sunroof

Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
As long as the fabric is still in good shape you could even reuse it
nope, cant do it. the foam backing is shot and the headliner material needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The issue with sagging headliners isn't so much the fabric, but the foam backing that is disintegrating. Adhesive isn't going to help loose foam stick to loose foam.

Physical means (pins, staples, etc.) or have it replaced by a shop is the only real solution.
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If you have a pressed on foam style headliner, the best way IMO is to buy a new one....styrofoam board and all.

You can buy just the material and then scrub the styrofoam real well with a brush and use a good glue like 3M 08090 glue. Only problem is you MUST get the board really clean of all the old foam. It's not easy to do. i know I've tried it before. Then when you put down the glue you have to be careful not to spray on too much or it will bleed thru the new headliner material. Again I've had this happen to me before.

Overall it's quite a bit of work and you have to be good at it. That includes not breaking the styrofoam backing when you take it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Come on folks... I replace headliners in my fleet of 28 VW's, look like new, and last I hope for ~10 yrs in our 120" rainy climate and leaky VW's

Get replacement 'foam backed' fabric at JoAnn's, fabric store, or or auto upholstery outlet ~ $15 for a BIG piece. Get the 3M spray contact cement mentioned earlier.

Take out the upper trim and drop the cardboard or fiber form and lay on garage floor.

Yank off the old stuff (foamed fabric). Take a very light wire brush (brass wires) and HAND brush off the loose foam / adhesive from the 'form'

Clean well with air compressor. Spray contact cement on form.

Take form to kitchen table and place it upside down.

With HELP place new fabric over the form and while holding a bit of tension (To avoid wrinkles), press down in center and work your way out using 'stretch' to keep free from wrinkles

Reinstall and put border trim back up.

Takes a couple hours (if no sunroof), takes about 2 - 4 more with sunroof
these last two posts are how you replace the old headliner material. the job isnt hard, just time consuming. you have to make sure you get an even coat of adhesive on both the headliner and the back board, and wait for it to tack properly.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 25,325 times
i was looking for carpet replacement and dahs covers on ebay motors they probably have a kit you can get found some good deals for my ford pickup a recover dash for like 30 bucks any color have a good day

Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Old thread, but google headliner repair in your area. We have a couple guys in Atlanta that do this as a mobile service. I was quoted around $350 for a Mercedes E320, which included the sunroof.

For example >

Atlanta Mobile Services | Car Window Tinting | Automobile Upholstery Repair | Car Carpet Replacement | Headliner Repair | Custom Grilles | Aftermarket Lighting | Mobile Fleet Services HID LED Lighting Atlanta GA

Kenny's Sunroof and Headliner Repair - Duluth, GA 30096

Old 07-01-2015, 03:34 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I'd do away with it. Who's going to notice if you have a headliner or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive