Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times

Advertisements

We actually need it updated to include gas mixed with Ethanol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 AM

20,269 posts, read 37,017,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
The problem is that Ethanol is not recommended for using in some new automobiles. Also, how about automobiles that run on natural gas, propane, or electricity? Again, nothing needs "updating." One can perform simple calculations to solve such problems, and if one does not understand math, then one can use one of myriad of gadgets available for this and other purposes.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
The problem is that Ethanol is not recommended for using in some new automobiles.
The problem in the lower 48 is finding a gas station that does not have a sign on the pump stating "Up to 10% Ethanol". Even if you get a list of non-ethanol stations off of the net they are not always correct and you waste gas just to get too one. FYI - Some new cars (and many older cars) require an additive to the fuel that stops the reactions with the plastic/rubber parts that cause the fuel pumps to fail.

Quote:
.....One can perform simple calculations to solve such problems.............
What is simple to a few people, is not simple to most due to the current educational system.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,234,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why? If I'm planning a 1,000 mile trip, what do I want to know? How many gallons it will take to go 1,000 miles. Which will remain the same, no matter how much the gas costs along the way. On that basis, I can choose the most appropriate car for the trip based on MPG, and adjust my cost by altering my driving style, choosing a more economical route, using a cash-back oil company credit card, making sure my tires are properly inflated, going to Oklahoma instead of California, or not taking the trip at all. There is nothing else I need to know. MPG.
Yup. Miles per gallon or miles per charge. Everything else is easy to figure out if you need to know it. But to take a trip, or commute, I only need to know miles per gallon (or miles per charge, if I have an electric). Since the COST per charge or cost per gallong fluctuates, knowing miles per gallon I can tell how much the cost will be at any given time.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,565,552 times
The MPG figure is just one of the figures given on car stickers, though it is the one everyone talks about. The stickers also give you an annual cost of fuel based on a given price at the pump and 12,000 miles of driving. It also gives you an emissions rating that shows that particular car compared to average vehicles as well as annual emissions expressed in tons. So, everything you want is already on the current sticker in some way.

FWIW, the EPA is looking to update the stickers and two designs are being offered:

Fuel Economy | US EPA

The new labels look to take much of what you are talking about, incorporate it and even go a step further.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Including a "cost" figure doesn't work because that could change monthly or more frequently. Gasoline was $3/gal a year ago. Now it is $4. Any rating done a year ago would have to be done again.
True that this could change, but a database-driven web site handles that easily.

Cost per mile is, strictly speaking, is something that could incorporate the vehicle's average maintenance costs (over the vehicle's average lifetime), which can be hard to calculate for a new vehicle.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why? If I'm planning a 1,000 mile trip, what do I want to know? How many gallons it will take to go 1,000 miles. Which will remain the same, no matter how much the gas costs along the way. On that basis, I can choose the most appropriate car for the trip based on MPG, and adjust my cost by altering my driving style, choosing a more economical route, using a cash-back oil company credit card, making sure my tires are properly inflated, going to Oklahoma instead of California, or not taking the trip at all. There is nothing else I need to know. MPG.
Yeah, you don't need to know nuthin. Don't bother with the fancy "reading the post" business either.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
That is true because I have already noiced a diffence in mileage on trips I took with 10% or below label ethnol gqasoline.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Yup. Miles per gallon or miles per charge. Everything else is easy to figure out if you need to know it. But to take a trip, or commute, I only need to know miles per gallon (or miles per charge, if I have an electric). Since the COST per charge or cost per gallong fluctuates, knowing miles per gallon I can tell how much the cost will be at any given time.
The problem is that you don't know what you're paying for. Much of it is transportation of the fuel, refining, etc for fossil fuels. For electric charge, you are generating the electricity somewhere, somehow, and it is transmitted over some lines, and then it shows up at the plug. You really have no idea what the energy cost is of charging your car, except for the very last link in the chain, which probably shows you the kWh dispensed at your charge point.

How many miles and from which country did the gas and/or electricity come from that you're pumping into your car? What is the *total* cost of that energy? If we can eliminate unknowns in the price chain, then prices will become more manageable by the market and we won't be buying fuel from a shadowy underworld of hocus pocus anymore.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,112,239 times
Good idea but do not forget the oil companies want to make knowing how much they will charge and how it affects anything a shell game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive