Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times

Advertisements

This is my very first new car after years of many 'interesting' cars and one I expect to last the rest of my life. I'm replacing a 30 yr old Porsche and a Land Rover. I spent three years looking around with a tight budget, anticipated limited senior income, and a list of wants.

I just drove my 2011 Kia Forte 5 door hatchback SX up north from Florida and got as much as 38mpg on the highway in the break-in period using the Eco system, and mixed driving around town hasn't been much less than that. I was able to fit all my six month gear and had them throw in the rubber cargo mat. Though I would have preferred to buy American and see that there's a 2012 Focus hatchback with lots of options coming out it was more than I could afford by a couple of thousand.

I'm very pleased with this car and have seen a huge improvement in Kia the last three years. I wanted a long warranty, excellent mileage, great handling, hauling ability, and as many options as I could get. I didn't get the gps/pushbuttonstart/climatecontrol nor the leather/heatedseats (thought the fit was a bit sloppy). I can't stand fabric seats but the SX came with heavy duty suede which is just fine with me. It also has the auto dim mirror with compass and homelink, a 2.4 zippy motor enough to keep me out of trouble with sport suspension, paddle shifters, leather steering wheel and boot, bluetooth, cruise control, XM, Ipod, CD, Usb, two 12V up front, rubber inserts, double center console compartment, lg side bins, auto down window, and the tilting sunroof option. All the options I was looking for except for auto seats. The only thing they don't recommend is towing but it's been a while since I've done that anyway.

I got it for under $20 plus tax which was my price parameter to them against a Hyundai wagon which quite frankly I was relieved I didn't have to choose because it was loogy with a 2.0 and a few lesser options. I won't miss the lack of power steering of the Porsche or the bills for the Rover though the intimidation factor was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
LOL! Good one...

Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Yes the Kia seems to have improved quite abit. After I retired I took a part time job with a Rental Car Company and I drive all kinds of cars. I have been very impressed with the Kia Forte as well as the the new Optima. You can't beat the warranty. Just make sure you keep up with the standard maintenance. I understand both Kia and Hyundai are sticklers on that matter. Im sure you will anyway. Best of Luck with you new Kia Forte.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,891,948 times
Retiring with a Kia? You're doing it wrong, sorry.

Retirement = Cadillac for every day driving and trips to see the grandkids. Then a red Corvette convertible for those special days and going to the golf course.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

Retirement = Cadillac for every day driving and trips to see the grandkids. Then a red Corvette convertible for those special days and going to the golf course.
I'm glad your happy with your Kia but In agree...when I think of retirement car, I'm thinking a new Cadillac/Lexus/Mercedes or a sports car such as new Mustang/Corvette. Kia? Not so much.

But whatever you're happy with! I can honestly say, I haven't seen many retirees driving Kia's...

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Is this another Hyundai/Kia commercial?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

Exactly! This has to be a joke!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Well with the way Wall St. raped people's retirement money a lot of people had to change retirement plans. Sad that these people suffer that trusted "experts" and the "experts' took their money, lost it, didn't go to jail but actually ended up with higher bonuses.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
This is my very first new car after years of many 'interesting' cars and one I expect to last the rest of my life.
Hopefully you live a long time, if so that Kia will be a piece of junk in less than 10yrs, some may think its close to that right off the showroom floor.
I think after driving problematic cars like the 30 yr old Porsche and Land Rover you may have been lulled into a false sense of reliability with the Kia as its new and everything works,For now.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Congrats. I can't say it would be my first choice, but it obviously does everything you needed/wanted it to do and fits within your budget. Good luck with it and enjoy your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive