Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:46 PM

380 posts, read 964,735 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an opinion on this car? I'm interested in purchasing a 2009 Chevy cobalt with 29,000 miles.

It would be my first car, and I have a long daily commute so I am looking at this model. Anyone have an opinion for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,523,998 times
My BIL has a Saturn Ion, same car with a different skin. It's a middling, uninspiring appliance that does its job adequately as long as you don't demand anything more of it.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,500,157 times
In the same, but much more reliable class, is the focus, civic, corolla. I wouldn't want a.cobalt its just a cavalier with a new name.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,652,732 times
The Cobalt is mediocre at best. There is a good reason why GM no longer makes it. Unless you can get it real cheap, look elsewhere.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,576,763 times
I own two GM vehicles, and since the G has changed from 'General' to 'Government' I will no longer buy them. That said, one of my GMs is a 2003 Cavalier I have named the "Chevette". Anyway, it's my grocery getter, will trip 190,000 miles this month, and I have yet to have any significant problem with it. The pilot bearing is growling a bit, but I won't touch it until it goes bad or I need a clutch. I bought it because I had the cash for it when I needed it. If I had had enough, I'd have bought another Honda Civic.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,974,239 times
My friend has a 2000 Cavalier and even though it doesn't have a smooth ride and looks cheap she's never had any problems w/it.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 16,623,315 times
The Cavalier seemed to be a better car than the Cobalt. The Cobalt had a short life(only a couple of years) and is no longer in production. That should tell you something. It has been replaced by the Cruze. The Cruze is in and out of recalls and only entered the market this year. Whether GM improves on the Cruze remains to be scene but I have my concerns with that car.

I would not recommend the Cobalt. It was not a big seller and not made as well as the Cavalier. It had a hit and miss repair and dependability rating at best. I know you didn't ask about the Cruze, but I would not recommend that car either at this time.

You can still get a better buy on some of the used foreign cars, than in the class of American cars you are looking at. If you want a decent American car in this class I would rate the Focus a better choice. Generally a dependable car. Otherwise the Hyundai's, Toyota's (despite the recent negative reports) Mazda, Honda's are all good buys, though Honda's seem to be up in price most of the time.

With all this said. If your getting a real good buy on the Cobalt and feel it meets your needs and finances at this time then take it to a mechanic. If it checks out ok then perhaps for now it would be a decent vehicle for you. Cars are expensive and only getting more so. So a good buy is a good buy don't go solely by a review on Citydata.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,657,334 times
I bought a 2008 Cobalt new and have had no complaints. I've had it over three years and my wife love it's small size. It's a good car with good gas mileage. If you find a good one, it will last you for a long time.
The company I work for a fleet of Cavaliers and they were very dependable. They are being slowly replaced because they are getting long in the tooth, but we have no complains wih any of them..

Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM

5,123 posts, read 16,643,544 times
I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport Coupe. I bought it new 3 years ago. I've only spent money on gas, registration, and insurance in that three years. I think the interior is finished with cheap materials but otherwise, I like my small car.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,974,239 times
The Cobalt didn't last many years because GM knew they need to make a change in the small car market in order to compete. The Cruze is selling quite well and i have seen a ton of them in my area. Recalls are normal on a first model year production vehicle. The steering wheel issue only affected 2100 cars out of roughly 80,000 sold so far this year.

Quote:
A recall of every Chevrolet Cruze built at the Lordstown complex should not hamper sales or frighten drivers, an industry analyst said.

Aaron Bragman, an analyst at automotive forecaster IHS, called General Motors Co.’s Wednesday night recall insignificant and said it shouldn’t have an impact on sales, which set record numbers in April, selling 25,160 units.

“Recalls don’t have the same impact on consumers as they used to,” he said Thursday. “All of the past recalls have really had a numbing effect.”
Youngstown News, Cruze recall called minor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive