Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,100 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about selling my 2009 Civic LX and buying something used in the $5-6k range. I've had the Civic for about 18 months and I like it for the most part, but I never really wanted a new car to begin with. My older Dodge Intrepid was totaled and I needed to find something fast, so when I got a good deal on the Civic, I took it. Anyway, the KBB value is currently about $1,300 less than I paid for it, which means I could sell it, pay off my loan, and have around $6k or so to spare.

If I bought something used, I wouldn't have a payment to worry about and my insurance would go down. So, I'm looking for advice on used cars to consider. Again, something in the $5-6k range that is reliable with good MPG. Or maybe tell me if selling the Civic is just a bad idea to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,143,580 times
Let me get this straight..You bought a new civic and after having it 18 months (you did not say how many miles are on it) you can sell it and only lose 13 hundred? ARE YOU SURE? Ive have never seen this before

Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Let me get this straight..You bought a new civic and after having it 18 months (you did not say how many miles are on it) you can sell it and only lose 13 hundred? ARE YOU SURE? Ive have never seen this before
There's only 14,000 miles on it and as of yesterday, the private party KBB value was $17,300. The biggest reason is probably because prices for new Hondas are going up since the dollar has depreciated so much against the yen. And of course high gas prices.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
I too am doubting the $1300 less figure, even considering the mileage.

Also, with the new 2012 coming soon, expect greater depreciation.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
kelly blue book sucks, better to use the NADA guide as it gives better information about what cars are worth. in fact dealers dont use KBB any more, they use NADA. if you can sell your honda,and not lose too much money, then go ahead, but remember that any car you buy used will not have a warranty of any kind on it, where as your honda does have the factory warranty.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
I can understand your interest in doing this only if you are in dire financial straits and can't afford your car loan.

Otherwise, you're likely to take a bigger financial loss than you are predicting and you'll wind up with a less reliable car than you have now.

In addition, whenever you get done paying off your loan you can look forward to probably at least five years of payment-free driving, with still a very reliable car.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Reliable $5K-$6K car with good fuel economy???

Let's see - that $5K car will be a beater, not a reliable well cared for vehicle. Way more than 100K miles on it, old safety equipment, worn brakes, tires, and shocks.

You have a fine economical and very reliable car now. Find a way to afford it, pay it off, and keep it till it dies.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:39 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I too am doubting the $1300 less figure, even considering the mileage.

Also, with the new 2012 coming soon, expect greater depreciation.
The prices on used cars, especially Hondas have skyrocketed the last few weeks, if you wanna sell, now's the time.

Some models have increased their used car value by as much as $3000.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Civic's hold thier value extremely well, as do most all Honda's. It's called reliability, longevity, and years of satisfied (for the most part) owners. OP, I would keep it. I have an 08 Civic (paid off) and I have 45k on it. Drove from coast to coast. You may regret selling it and I predict it making you a good car for many many years. But if your in a pinch for money then do what you gotta do. I vote KEEP IT

Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I can understand your interest in doing this only if you are in dire financial straits and can't afford your car loan.

Otherwise, you're likely to take a bigger financial loss than you are predicting and you'll wind up with a less reliable car than you have now.

In addition, whenever you get done paying off your loan you can look forward to probably at least five years of payment-free driving, with still a very reliable car.
Great advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive