Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I think everyone needs to pick up the newest copy of Motor Trend. They have an article about old vs new. It's and interesting read. It talks a lot about how the newer versions are faster, safer and of course more gadgets. Of course it's a no-brainer of an article.
The newer versions also have more plastic and more ugly!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
I have owned both Fords and Chevys. I now happen to drive a Chevy and am quite satisfied so far, although if I had known at the time GM helped finance a propaganda movie celebrating the founding the Chinese communist party, I might of bought a Ford instead.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM

418 posts, read 809,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Um nope, sorry not even close. Take a look at some of the work horse classic American trucks from the 60's and 70's and even some from the 80's still on their original paint, original interiors and original drivetrain.

Yes, because right now Japanese cars have a good rep. People such as yourself tend to be as ignorant to think all Japanese cars are good and all American cars are junk. The truth is (as I have told you several times now) not all Japanese cars were good and not all American cars were bad. EACH AND EVERY MAKE MANUFACTURER, ETC HAS HAD IT'S SHARE OF MERITS AND IT'S SHARE OF TURDS.

LOL yeah and the Japanese brands also had these issues too.

GM has also been known to have kick ass engines as well. Not to mention the galvanized body panels they've only been using the last 20 + years. But oops let's not take any of that into consideration.

That's your opinion and not even a fact. I suppose my 1971 Chevelle must be considered ugly by you as well as my 1969 Nova or my 1987 T type, oh yeah my dad's 1968 Camaro SS you must consider ugly too...hey that's ok there's plenty of non ignorant people that at least appreciate what they are and even more that would give anything to own and drive one.
I have no problem with American cars from the 60s & 70s, that's back when they American cars were built to last. However, since they are classics, and u claim they are, YOURS, and they still have the original powertrain, why didn't u post any pictures of the interior, and under the hood?

I'm not talking about the cars from back then, im referring to the cars built on the last 25 years; the cars responsible from the public's lack of trust with an American automaker. for example: The ugly pontiacs from the 80's and 90s, btw, where is pontiac, oldsmobile, hummer, mercury(Ford) and saturn?

Chevy even tried badge engineer a Toyota corolla.

My last two cars were American (Chrysler), that's how I know what I'm talking about, and that's how I know not to make the mistake of buying another one.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I think everyone needs to pick up the newest copy of Motor Trend. They have an article about old vs new. It's and interesting read. It talks a lot about how the newer versions are faster, safer and of course more gadgets. Of course it's a no-brainer of an article.
I've been a Motor Trend subscriber since 2007

Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
I have no problem with American cars from the 60s & 70s, that's back when they American cars were built to last. However, since they are classics, and u claim they are, YOURS, and they still have the original powertrain, why didn't u post any pictures of the interior, and under the hood?
I can do that. I mentioned owning 3 pre-1980 cars. Here are a few photos of my oldest one... 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP with 383-4 bbl engine. I think the interior is in very good condition, especially considering that it's a 45-year-old unrestored car. The engine is quite clean, too. Some rust, but not much dirt or grime. I am going to eventually paint the valve covers. BTW, look how much room there is in the engine compartment.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I can do that. I mentioned owning 3 pre-1980 cars. Here are a few photos of my oldest one... 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP with 383-4 bbl engine. I think the interior is in very good condition, especially considering that it's a 45-year-old unrestored car. The engine is quite clean, too. Some rust, but not much dirt or grime. I am going to eventually paint the valve covers. BTW, look how much room there is in the engine compartment.

Looks Good. Today's American cars pale in comparison to the quality of cars cars made back then. Also, with that amount of space in the engine compartment, mechanics had no reason to charge people an arm and a leg for labor. That's one thing i HATE about today's cars, regardless of brand; its nearly impossible to DIY other than change your own oil, or battery.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Looks Good. Today's American cars pale in comparison to the quality of cars cars made back then.
Yes, I agree. My favorite decade for cars will always be the 1960s.

Quote:
Also, with that amount of space in the engine compartment, mechanics had no reason to charge people an arm and a leg for labor. That's one thing i HATE about today's cars, regardless of brand; its nearly impossible to DIY other than change your own oil, or battery.
True. I kind of feel sorry for the mechanics when they work on modern cars. It's probably easier to remove the engine from an old car than it is to change the alternator or water pump on a late-model car!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Chevy even tried badge engineer a Toyota corolla.
So. What.

The tone of your statement implies that this was some sort of desperation move on Chevy's part or that it was underhanded in some way? You import lovers always seem to think badge engineering is a dirty deed when a domestic brand does it but it is sheer brilliance if an import brand does it. But it's not even called badge engineering then is it? An import brand employs "platform sharing" amirite?

NUMMI was a joint venture. So while some of those Corrollas were sold here as Geo or Chevy Prizms they also sold the Matrix with Pontiac Vibe sheetmetal in Japan as the Toyota Voltz.

Fun fact. The Chevy Cavalier was badged engineered and sold in Japan as the Toyota Cavalier for a few years. So, I guess they're even.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
Chrylser sold Mitsubishi products and Ford sold Mazda products

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Chrylser sold Mitsubishi products and Ford sold Mazda products
That may explain why Ford is in better shape than GM and Chrysler; Japan had a hand in its success. No surprise there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive