U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:51 PM

33,411 posts, read 31,673,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, probably. It's also important to use the correct ATF (you didn't say, but I'm assuming you are talking about an automatic. For example, Chrysler automatics are quite sensitive to "stupid lube" outfits putting in "multi-vehicle" fluids, they need what it says in the owner's manual, no more and no less.

It's also important to not over-fill (or under-fill) with a slushbox, Toyotas are very sensitive to overfilling, never mind how I know that.

As has been posted before, the thing to do is follow the recommendations in the owner's manual. Unless it's a GM and the owner's manual was apparently written by the marketing department, "Oh no you don't have to mess with it for 100K miles!" - give me a break. I was born at night but not last night.

I personally don't change ATF at 30K mile intervals because we live out in the country, put a lot of easy highway miles on our cars.

What kind of car, what kind of shop are you spending $100 for an ATF change?

Best answer of all is get a stickshift car, manual transmissions have been perfected since the 40's, if you work the clutch right and shift skillfully, and avoid "Fast and Furious" type "launches", they are damn near indestructable. Just check the level, make sure it does not leak down, and particularly if you use a premium group 5 synthetic like Redline, Amsoil, etc. odds are your transmission will last several hundred thousand miles no problemo.
well said mitch. OP a proper fluid service done regularly with the proper fluid will extend the life of any mechanical system. modern automatics are sensitive to the fluid used, so check the owners manual and get the right fluid.

manual transmissions are also sensitive to the fluid used, but less so than an automatic trans. the T5 transmission for instance used automatic transmission fluid to lubricate everything, instead of gear oil like in the old days. using gear oil in a T5 will burn the trans up in short order as the fluid isnt thin enough to get into the small passages to lube the bearings and bushings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,616,006 times
I use a hand pump and run the hose down the fill tube and pump it out into a 5 gallon bucket. I then replace the flood I took out with new fluid. I don't worry about changing the filter. This has worked well for me as I have not had any transmission problems.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:20 PM

4,671 posts, read 5,227,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I had the same idea, but that's my point. I couldn't anyone to do it. I started asking Lexus and Toyota dealers before I reached 60k miles for this service. No one wanted to change the fluid and kept stating, "You don't need to change the transmission fluid -it will only cause more problems."
Could only imagine what would happen with a fluid change at 150K miles then.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,795,975 times
How many people have had a transmission problem in the last decade? Can't say I've seen it with recent cars. Sure, I'm sure these issues exist but I would put it more toward a design / manufacturing defect (Nissan CVT and Land Rover Discovery comes to mind) or jack rabbit starts on a cold transmission than a fluid change issue. The only transmission fluid I've every seen fit to change was on my Land Cruisers and Land Rovers after some really deep water crossings. And only then if I thought it was deeper than my transmission or axle vent tubes.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 6,806,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It just stirs junk up when ya change it. So many trans go bad as soon as it is changed.
If there is junk to stir up, the trans wasn't staying together. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
No amount of Fluid changes can save a poor designed transmission. Look at all the Nissan CVT failures in the Pathfinder and Qx60's or the Ford Focus DCT's.
True, because it wouldn't have kept the stator pump from crapping out on my dad's 97 Chevy, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Because you're flushing out the suspended clutch material that's needed to engage your gears.
Once again, trash floating in the transmission isn't what's keeping it running! If the gears are turning into glorified dust, the trans is done for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Could only imagine what would happen with a fluid change at 150K miles then.
Yeah, change the whole trans instead, assuming it's not made to last, anyway...

Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 PM

623 posts, read 658,596 times
I just changed the fluid in my 03 Caravan and with 60,000 miles on the trans fluid, it looked a bit dirty. I think shift quality improved and I feel better about the transmission lasting. If you want to just drive your car into the ground or buy a new one when it stops running, Just blow off those fluid changes. I also put an external filter on the return line. I think if people knew how much new transmissions are now they would be more into maintaining their trans.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 AM

6,856 posts, read 3,516,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
A lot of people cause their own transmission problems by following the manufacturer recommended interval which is 100k-150k these days and then having the service performed by a chain or quick lube where they do a "flush" and then refill with generic fluid.

I've seen very few people who use their cars for normal things have transmission problems (assuming the transmission itself wasn't defective) by following the manufacturer recommendations. I've seen plenty of people blow their trans after they had Jiffy Lube do a 100k mile flush and fill.
Correct i always follow the manufacturer maintenance service because hey it’s their vehicle they made it they know what’s good for their vehicle. And i always take it to the dealer because that’s all they work on and they know their vehicles better than someone who works on every vehicle. Say what you want but the manufacturer knows their own vehicles they designed and built them better than us on here we’re not automotive engineers on here.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 AM

18,440 posts, read 38,535,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct i always follow the manufacturer maintenance service because hey it’s their vehicle they made it they know what’s good for their vehicle. And i always take it to the dealer because that’s all they work on and they know their vehicles better than someone who works on every vehicle. Say what you want but the manufacturer knows their own vehicles they designed and built them better than us on here we’re not automotive engineers on here.
If your transmission fails at 105k miles the manufacturer isn’t going to care. They are going to tell you that you’re SOL and then proceed to tell you to check out their new 2019 models.

Manufacturers have to revise their maintenance recommendations all the time. With my Tacoma they recommended no fluid changes until 100k miles, then later changed it to say if I do ANY towing to change the fluid at 60k miles. The techs at the dealer also make it seem like it’s impossible to do diy fluid changes, saying it’s a “sealed transmission” . It most certainly isn’t sealed, there’s a drain plug right there on the pan, and a fill plug right on the side... drain old fluid and then refill with 3.2 quarts. Super easy.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 AM

22,155 posts, read 28,722,455 times
I just do my fluid and filter (if applicable) changes at 50,000 miles. I’m still on original transmissions with a average of 160,000 miles between 4 vehicles with one daily driver with a low of 130,000 and three others with a high of 160/170/180,000. And I’ve towed with my trucks. I just don’t abuse them. I’ve never done a burn out or some of the stupid stuff you see on YouTube

A lot of transmission problems come from people overheating and abusing their transmissions. Racing around, doing burn outs or spins gets everything hot and it can’t cool off especially if you’re sitting there for a minute. It doesn’t take a long time to smoke a transmission when you get over a certain temp.

And a lot of people don’t go past oil changes. That’s the extent of their maintenance schedule.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:10 AM

12,837 posts, read 11,403,473 times
80-85k mileage I will add bit more fuild to transmission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive