U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:13 AM

6,888 posts, read 3,668,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Yes it is, which I explained in my longwinded post to Easy63.
If you drive your vehicle with lifetime transmission fluid the way you’re suspose to drive it then you should have no problem, but people don’t drive the right way, I’ve seen people downshift into low while driving fast, ive seen people get stuck in snow, mud, or sand and try to rock their vehicle out by rev their engine and shifting from drive to reverse without letting the engine idle down. So automatic transmission failures are a result of how the driver drives the vehicle. I’ve never changed my transmission fluid in my sealed automatic transmissions, because i never abused my vehicles. Automakers put their drivetrain components through normal driving conditions were they put well over a 100,000 miles on their test vehicles to come up with their maintenance schedule. I lived by the GM proving grounds in Milford Michigan and had a friend who worked there they put their vehicles through the same driving conditions that any of us would encounter. And GM also has a proving ground in Arizona to test out their vehicles in the Arizona desert heat and the Milford Michigan one for the northern climate.

Last edited by easy62; 08-31-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:48 AM

712 posts, read 443,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What's with you? I currently drive an Acura TL. It's my 3rd one. I'm not attacking Honda at all.
I just stated a fact that, yes, they had some major issues in the early 2000s.
What's you with you?
I'm not attacking nissan at all, I'm just stating a fact that they have MAJOR issues with their cvt that have not been resolved and that simply changing fluids will not fix an engineering problem, especially when it's whining.

You don't see your hypocrisy?

Old 08-31-2018, 11:10 AM

14,279 posts, read 11,568,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
What's you with you?
I'm not attacking nissan at all, I'm just stating a fact that they have MAJOR issues with their cvt that have not been resolved and that simply changing fluids will not fix an engineering problem, especially when it's whining.

You don't see your hypocrisy?
Someone asked specifically about HONDA and their design changes. I replied by stating that it was in response to some issues they had in the 2000s.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:41 AM

5,829 posts, read 5,671,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you drive your vehicle with lifetime transmission fluid the way you’re suspose to drive it then you should have no problem, but people don’t drive the right way, I’ve seen people downshift into low while driving fast, ive seen people get stuck in snow, mud, or sand and try to rock their vehicle out by rev their engine and shifting from drive to reverse without letting the engine idle down. So automatic transmission failures are a result of how the driver drives the vehicle. I’ve never changed my transmission fluid in my sealed automatic transmissions, because i never abused my vehicles. Automakers put their drivetrain components through normal driving conditions were they put well over a 100,000 miles on their test vehicles to come up with their maintenance schedule. I lived by the GM proving grounds in Milford Michigan and had a friend who worked there they put their vehicles through the same driving conditions that any of us would encounter. And GM also has a proving ground in Arizona to test out their vehicles in the Arizona desert heat and the Milford Michigan one for the northern climate.

It has more to do with the design of the transmission and the fact that ALL fluid breaks down over time when used. When the fluid breaks down it no longer lubricates the internal components properly. Crazy driving will accelerate the issue, but just because yours has held on for now doesn't mean it isn't slowly being damaged.

Most of the newer transmissions that claim a lifetime fluid don't use filters anymore. They use screens to try and catch any larger particles that pass through. Some of the debris is fine enough to pass through those screens and make it back through the transmission, accelerating wear. Since there is no filter to change, the transmission isn't as serviceable. It's basically a consumable product designed to give you a "lifetime" of use based upon some number that the manufacturer decides to use as a baseline for "lifetime". It could be 100k miles. That depends on the manufacturer.

I've seen transmissions properly serviced make it to 300k miles with very little (if any) repairs.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:42 AM

18,460 posts, read 38,989,732 times
I love the transmissions in my Toyota trucks, it’s almost as easy as changing the oil. Simply remove the drain bolt to drain it, and then pump new fluid in the fill hole.

I don’t know why the domestics want you to drop the pan and all of that crap. I installed an aftermarket pan on my mother’s Grand Marquis with a drain plug, it only takes ten minutes for a fluid change now.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It has more to do with the design of the transmission and the fact that ALL fluid breaks down over time when used. When the fluid breaks down it no longer lubricates the internal components properly. Crazy driving will accelerate the issue, but just because yours has held on for now doesn't mean it isn't slowly being damaged.

Most of the newer transmissions that claim a lifetime fluid don't use filters anymore. They use screens to try and catch any larger particles that pass through. Some of the debris is fine enough to pass through those screens and make it back through the transmission, accelerating wear. Since there is no filter to change, the transmission isn't as serviceable. It's basically a consumable product designed to give you a "lifetime" of use based upon some number that the manufacturer decides to use as a baseline for "lifetime". It could be 100k miles. That depends on the manufacturer.

I've seen transmissions properly serviced make it to 300k miles with very little (if any) repairs.
You know that automakers put their transmissions through rigorous testing that simulates driving 100,000 miles they have testing robots that keep a transmission in drive running 24/7 to simulate normal driving conditions with an occasional hard shifting to check the durability of their transmissions. They don't just design a transmission and put them right into the vehicles.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You know that automakers put their transmissions through rigorous testing that simulates driving 100,000 miles they have testing robots that keep a transmission in drive running 24/7 to simulate normal driving conditions with an occasional hard shifting to check the durability of their transmissions. They don't just design a transmission and put them right into the vehicles.
Testing doesn’t catch everything. If it did, automakers would never have common failures or have to do recalls.

I remember back in 1996 when GM came out with the 3400 SFI version of its 60 degree V6 to use in their minivans. GM engineers were saying that engine could run at full throttle for days unaffected, that it was that durable. Well that may have been the case when they were brand new, but they didn’t know the intake manifold gaskets would start failing 60k miles later.

Same thing when I bought my Sonata, I read where Hyundai tested the Theta II engine at full throttle for so many hours in a lab. Well, out in the real world, they started seizing up around 70k miles.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Testing doesn’t catch everything. If it did, automakers would never have common failures or have to do recalls.

I remember back in 1996 when GM came out with the 3400 SFI version of its 60 degree V6 to use in their minivans. GM engineers were saying that engine could run at full throttle for days unaffected, that it was that durable. Well that may have been the case when they were brand new, but they didn’t know the intake manifold gaskets would start failing 60k miles later.

Same thing when I bought my Sonata, I read where Hyundai tested the Theta II engine at full throttle for so many hours in a lab. Well, out in the real world, they started seizing up around 70k miles.
The Hyundai issue was metal shavings were left behind in the casting of the block. You are right about the gasket problem that GM had I think is was a liquid gasket material they used instead of the metal/fiber ones. Yes they blew that one.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The Hyundai issue was metal shavings were left behind in the casting of the block. You are right about the gasket problem that GM had I think is was a liquid gasket material they used instead of the metal/fiber ones. Yes they blew that one.
The metal shavings story was a lie. They changed the cleaning process to a wet blast system to eliminate the metal debris in 2012. Shortly after releasing that info, they realized 2013 and 2014 models were failing and had to recall those as well. It’s a defect in the design of the engine.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The metal shavings story was a lie. They changed the cleaning process to a wet blast system to eliminate the metal debris in 2012. Shortly after releasing that info, they realized 2013 and 2014 models were failing and had to recall those as well. It’s a defect in the design of the engine.
My neighbor has a 2016 Sorento with that engine so far no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive