Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
We recently experienced the same with Toyota. Our RAV4 says the transmission fluid never needs to be changed. It developed a shudder. We changed it and the shudder went away. The old fluid was very dark. Another thing you can do is install a transmission cooler on your radiator and route your fluid line through it. This is cheap insurance because these add on coolers can be purchased for $25-$50 on Amazon.
It's common for radiators to already have transcoolers built in and I don't know too many cars without this setup, because autos being hydrostatic... get hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s kinda of extreme for a passenger car, oil and transmission coolers are for larger SUVs and pickups that tow heavy trailers. People get to carried away on things that you don’t really need.
No it's not. Just about every radiator doubles as a trans cooler, it's actually paramount for any automatic trans equiped car. A hydrostatic system creates heat, moving hydraulic fluid(basically what ATF is) generates heat as it's forced through valvebodies and pumps. An automatic car in its conveyance is little different than a commercial mower, telehandler, or anything else that is driven comeplety off hydraulic fluid and to say an automatic in a car needs less cooling than something bigger is akin to saying an ecoboost ford doesn't need an innercooler for it's turbos because it's not a big rig or road coach and is laughable. My CVPI has a seperate transcooler and an oil cooler... it's just a sedan... that's capable of spining the automatic trans at 6000 revolutions per minute.

What all cars don't have is an oil cooler- which is extremely beneficial and every car should have one as well. Oil like atf thins out as it gets hot, creates more wear, more friction. This fluid runs through a device that would otherwise have metal on metal contact, that also creates many many tiny explosions that create more heat, shouldn't the fluid that lubricates such a device be able to be cooled? Engines use coolant, turbos and superchargers require a heat exchanger to cool the charged air, so why does the transmission not need a cooler, why does the oil not? Does disc brakes not need cooling vanes either? C'mon man, unless you're driving a steam car, heat is the enemy.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:12 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
No it's not. Just about every radiator doubles as a trans cooler, it's actually paramount for any automatic trans equiped car. A hydrostatic system creates heat, moving hydraulic fluid(basically what ATF is) generates heat as it's forced through valvebodies and pumps. An automatic car in its conveyance is little different than a commercial mower, telehandler, or anything else that is driven comeplety off hydraulic fluid and to say an automatic in a car needs less cooling than something bigger is akin to saying an ecoboost ford doesn't need an innercooler for it's turbos because it's not a big rig or road coach and is laughable. My CVPI has a seperate transcooler and an oil cooler... it's just a sedan... that's capable of spining the automatic trans at 6000 revolutions per minute.

What all cars don't have is an oil cooler- which is extremely beneficial and every car should have one as well. Oil like atf thins out as it gets hot, creates more wear, more friction. This fluid runs through a device that would otherwise have metal on metal contact, that also creates many many tiny explosions that create more heat, shouldn't the fluid that lubricates such a device be able to be cooled? Engines use coolant, turbos and superchargers require a heat exchanger to cool the charged air, so why does the transmission not need a cooler, why does the oil not? Does disc brakes not need cooling vanes either? C'mon man, unless you're driving a steam car, heat is the enemy.
Do what you want I’ll just keep on driving my automatic the way it is i I’ve been driving since the 70’s never had a problem, but people get carried away with things that are really not necessary for daily driving. Automatic transmission are already cooled through the radiator and for a daily driver vehicle that’s all you need. People today spend to much money on things that are really not needed if additional transmission coolers and oil coolers were needed automakers would of had them added to the vehicle.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Do what you want I’ll just keep on driving my automatic the way it is i I’ve been driving since the 70’s never had a problem, but people get carried away with things that are really not necessary for daily driving. Automatic transmission are already cooled through the radiator and for a daily driver vehicle that’s all you need. People today spend to much money on things that are really not needed if additional transmission coolers and oil coolers were needed automakers would of had them added to the vehicle.
Honda DID add an additional automatic transmission cooler on the minivans as too many premature transmission failures. Added after vehicles were purchased.

So did Honda get too carried away?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Honda DID add an additional automatic transmission cooler on the minivans as too many premature transmission failures. Added after vehicles were purchased.

So did Honda get too carried away?
That’s Honda i don’t drive a Honda maybe Honda transmission are junk were as others are not. Never seen a car with a added trans cooler, and the only vans I’ve ever seen with them are full size rwd with a tow package. Do what you want it’s your money but you will never recupe the money yo spend if you put one on a regular vehicle, when you go to sell it it’s not a selling point either you did it because you wanted to that’s all.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
No, my point was all cars have a transcooler built in to the radiator. You are right, though; adding a second one could be deterimental to the trans keeping it from reaching opersating temperature. My car came from the factory with an external, having a police package and all that. There are cars that have oil coolers, or external oil coolers.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That’s Honda i don’t drive a Honda maybe Honda transmission are junk were as others are not. Never seen a car with a added trans cooler, and the only vans I’ve ever seen with them are full size rwd with a tow package. Do what you want it’s your money but you will never recupe the money yo spend if you put one on a regular vehicle, when you go to sell it it’s not a selling point either you did it because you wanted to that’s all.
Most likely because the minivan used the same drivetrain as the cars. It was more additonal wieght, than the trans being junk.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Most likely because the minivan used the same drivetrain as the cars. It was more additonal wieght, than the trans being junk.
That’s the way Honda engineers their vehicles not every manufacturer has a problem with just useing the radiator to cool their transmissions, most manufacturers have no problem doing it this way the big 3 have never put external trans or oil coolers on their light duty vehicles unless it’s the police package that the regular consumer can’t get.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
The transmission in my '01 Chevy Lumina has 305,000 miles on it, and still works like new. It's had regular ATF changes about every 50,000 miles. With synthetic ATF since I bought it at around 159,000 miles. Also I installed an auxiliary trans cooler and inline filter.

Because those things are simple and inexpensive. Transmission replacement is neither.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:04 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
That’s Honda i don’t drive a Honda maybe Honda transmission are junk were as others are not. Never seen a car with a added trans cooler
You aren't familiar with very many cars then.

A lot of high performance sedans and sports cars today have additional transmission coolers, as well as oil coolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive