Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times

Advertisements

My 85 olds delta 88 305, v-8, 4 barrel idles very rough when i first start the car after 24 hrs or so. After a few mins or so the car runs & idles fine. Its been doing this for sometime now but has gotten worse in the past few days. It has started roughly & then stalled the past few mornings. Its starting up fine now & will the rest of the day until it sits overnight. Any suggestions ? The odometer milage is 120,000 & i get a lousey 15 mpg.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
You need to adjust the choke.
It is running too rich.
Bob.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,156 times
Could be ton of different things. Most idle and stalling problems are in fuel delivery so I would start there. Start with the basics. Get a can of carb cleaner and go to town. Remove the air cleaner assembly and spray the carb down and let it sit. If you have an old tooth brush you can use it to clean sround the tops of the carb etc. Don't stick anything down the carb. Also make sure the air filter is clean.. If not replace it.

After that you should pull the plugs and have a look at those. Old cars are pretty simply and assuming there is no mechanical damage inside the motor they are easy to repair. If the carb spray doesn't make it better then it's most likely time for a real tune up. If this is above you abilities take the car to a neighborhood shop and have them do it.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Could be rust or other contaminants in the fuel tank that settles near the fuel pump overnight.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Do you park the car on an angle, like in a driveway or on a flat surface like a street or parking lot? If the car sits at an angle, it can cause some rough start conditions do to poor fuel or oil pickup. These can be made worse by temperature variations. If you do park on an angle, try parking on a flat surface for a couple days and see if that helps.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Do you park the car on an angle, like in a driveway or on a flat surface like a street or parking lot? If the car sits at an angle, it can cause some rough start conditions do to poor fuel or oil pickup. These can be made worse by temperature variations. If you do park on an angle, try parking on a flat surface for a couple days and see if that helps.
I do park it at a slight slop (car port). I cleaned the carb & replaced the air filter. The car has been rough starting for over 2 yrs. Once its warmed up it runs nicely & starts up right away. I do plan to replace the spark plugs this summer. The wires & cap are good. My 26 yr old car has always been cold blooded since i got it @ 91k miles 15 yrs ago. I have put on a lil over 19k miles in that time period (1996-2011).

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I think Calguy is on to something. Pop the air cleaner off and see if it is filthy. If it is you could be too rich for that. Then work the linkage and see if the choke closes and by how much. Likey it has a Quadra Jet carb and they are not the best. They can sort of leak down and the fuel level in the float bowel gets low, but usually that takes something more than over night.

Something you could try is to leave the key ON with out cranking at all, and watch the choke open as it has a heated bi-metalic spring that will open the choke plate in a little time, with no engine heat.

While you wait by hand open the choke plate/butterfly and run the linkage swiftly once maybe twice so you can ID the accelorator pump pissing fuel into the carb. Twice won't hurt anything, as you probably do that stepping on the pedal anyway.

'IF' enough time has passed that the choke does not close by itself, wait more. Or get a ice pick test light (4 dollars at walmart) And test for power at the choke terminal.

Once the choke has opened on it's own if it does, toss a shot glass of gas into the carb and see if it starts better or not.

If the choke tries to remain closed the bi-metalic coiled spring is either way out of adjustment, or dead. Sooner or later the engine heat will open it if it is basicly electricly dead.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
I'd also say check the choke. Mom had a choke problem on her 1981 Delta 88 years ago. I had a similar issue on my 1984 Buick Regal when the choke pull off didn't open up fast enough due to being worn out...made the little 231 cube V6 idle like a top fuel dragster until it finally opened.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM

It took 10 mins for my olds to finally start. Now it starts up & runs fine. I hope the car starts up early tomorrow morning. Im not a mechanic otherwise this problem would of been fixed years ago. Its just getting worse at the worse time. I just went out to start my car. I turned the key, heard a click & the car started right up. It idles nice & smooth now but come first thing tomorrow morning im going to be all stressed out again.

Last edited by steel7; 05-24-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Where is the fuel pump located on a 85 olds delta 88 & could the fuel pump be causing the problem ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive