Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,917 times

Advertisements

So, I was driving today and a biker just runs a stop sign. Had I not been paying attention I could have easily drove into her. So, I must ask the question, do stop signs apply to bikers, or are they somehow exempt from this? I mean, this girl could have got herself killed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
So, I was driving today and a biker just runs a stop sign. Had I not been paying attention I could have easily drove into her. So, I must ask the question, do stop signs apply to bikers, or are they somehow exempt from this? I mean, this girl could have got herself killed!
A stop sign applies to any operator of a transportation device traveling on public roads.

If she was on a bicycle, not a motorcycle, she might've ignored it, because of the energy necessary to get the bicycle started again.

Many people on bicycles will do this if the intersection is clear, sometimes I guess they get it wrong, in any case, yes, it is against the law.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Yes, traffic laws apply to bicycle riders, just like motorcycle riders - whether they want to admit it or not.

What's kind of infuriating is when these bike riders openly ignore traffic laws, then scream at and flip-off regular motorists because they (the bike riders) were being stupid.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
I tend to yield at intersections when I bike. I never ride right through a stop sign or red light. I think that's outright dangerous.

But many bikers do it all the time. And I've had some mouth off at me and flash the birdy even though I had the green light.

Why Cyclists Blow Through Stop Signs: It's Physics : TreeHugger

Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times
When i was commuting to work via bicycle and approaching a 4-way stop sign, I would slow down and allow the crossing car to stop first with plenty of time to go. This way they would move on and I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop and put a foot down, i could roll on through. But half the time (at least) the motorist would stop and wait, many times waiting for me to come to a complete stop with foot down and then waiving me on. What the heck?! You stopped first so freakin go! I would have wave them through. Very annoying. Just follow the darn rules of the road and go about your life. FWIW, I would never just run a stop sign with no regard to the motorists.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
absolutely the rules of the road apply to bicycles as well as motor vehicles.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
When i was commuting to work via bicycle and approaching a 4-way stop sign, I would slow down and allow the crossing car to stop first with plenty of time to go. This way they would move on and I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop and put a foot down, i could roll on through. But half the time (at least) the motorist would stop and wait, many times waiting for me to come to a complete stop with foot down and then waiving me on. What the heck?! You stopped first so freakin go! I would have wave them through. Very annoying. Just follow the darn rules of the road and go about your life. FWIW, I would never just run a stop sign with no regard to the motorists.
I understand why you want to roll through stop signs without coming to a complete stop. But in all fairness, you're expecting others to "follow the darn rules of the road" while you don't.

I'm all for people riding bikes, and I always go out of my way to accommodate them. But I expect bikers to be smart, and be considerate of the other people on the street.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Technically they must stop but it is not generally enforced unless a policeman sees them slam right through oncoming traffic.

I generally slow down and make sure it is clear, but I rarely stop. If a car is coming I will often slow down enough to let them clear and then go through. If the intersection is packed, you have no choice. You have to stop. I hate stopping (or rather I hate starting up again). I think most cyclists do. I do not mind slowing to a crawl if necessary, but to stop, pull your foot form the clips, lean over and catch yourself with one leg and then hop up and get going, clip in, etc - that is a significant PIA.

Notwithstanding that I virtually never come to a complete stop, I have never had even a close call at a stop sign or red light that i go through. It is pretty easy to time a crossing usually. The most common way I have been hit is when I stop at a light and go when it is my turn, but a car turning right comes up and hits me as I am crossing the intersection. Second most is people screwing around trying to scare me by swerving at me on a straight road and hitting me by mistake. I have been hit probably 7 or 8 times, only once with any significant injury or damage to my bike. I do not ride much anymore though. I got oldish.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I understand why you want to roll through stop signs without coming to a complete stop. But in all fairness, you're expecting others to "follow the darn rules of the road" while you don't.

I'm all for people riding bikes, and I always go out of my way to accommodate them. But I expect bikers to be smart, and be considerate of the other people on the street.
I find that people who are inconsiderate are inconsiderate at all times.

For example, the pedestrian who jumps out into the street and takes her sweet time to cross while punching away on her iPhone. All the while blocking cars that are trying to make a left turn and not get clipped by oncoming traffic.

This same pedestrian will drive a SmartCar, veer into the bike lane, and then give you the "WTF?" look.

And this same driver (formerly our pedestrian) will blow through a stop sign on a bike and then give you the finger for almost hitting her.

The bottom line is that a lot of people are selfish. And they think they're entitled to do whatever they want whether they're on a bike, in a car, on a boat, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
If these people want to run 4 wide and block traffic for a long time and ***** and moan that they have the same rights as motorists, then YES it should apply to them.

Don't worry I almost ran a bicyclist over the other day who felt a 4 way didn't apply to him. It would have made me perfectly happy to do so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive