Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 AM

703 posts, read 2,943,562 times

Advertisements

So I got a pretty good 3-4 cm scratch (deep enough that finger nails would get caught in) on my new car a couple of days ago and decided to try my hands at wet sanding with the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit. Anyway, in my overzealous attempt at perfection (should have stopped after first round), I over wet-sanded the area, so that I now have a lighter colored blemish around the scratch itself. I'm guessing I went into the clear coat and any additional wet sanding attempt will simply enlarge the blemish. My question is mainly, should I leave it as is (with the cloudy blemish around the scratch, is there any possible future damage, i.e. oxidation, etc?) or should I just apply touch up paint to the entire area and leave it at that? The scratch is completely gone, now the blemish remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,143,580 times
You sanded through the clear coat and went into the color coat , I would try a little of the car wax that is color matched to the color of the car and see if that will hide the blemish. Trying to make a spot repair using paint is something you better practice doing first on another car before you try it on your new one.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
So I got a pretty good 3-4 cm scratch (deep enough that finger nails would get caught in) on my new car a couple of days ago and decided to try my hands at wet sanding with the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit. Anyway, in my overzealous attempt at perfection (should have stopped after first round), I over wet-sanded the area, so that I now have a lighter colored blemish around the scratch itself. I'm guessing I went into the clear coat and any additional wet sanding attempt will simply enlarge the blemish. My question is mainly, should I leave it as is (with the cloudy blemish around the scratch, is there any possible future damage, i.e. oxidation, etc?) or should I just apply touch up paint to the entire area and leave it at that? The scratch is completely gone, now the blemish remains.
Sorry, but the bad news is to correct your botched attempt you need a body shop to repaint it.

Two things here.....
If you intend to keep the car until it dies then repair it as you want to or do nothing.

If you trade often the scratch will cost you more than a repaint in lost trade in value so get it fixed.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 05-30-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Here's a closeup of the area. Ignore the horizontal line below the blemish, that's just a reflection.

Again, it's all smooth and consistent (even before I put wax back on).

Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 PM

Please re-read my post. As it is now.......you're stuck.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Please re-read my post. As it is now.......you're stuck.
Right, I know I'm stuck. Anyway, if I do nothing at this point, will the paint/metal be fine? My primary concern right now is will this lead to peeling and rusting. It's slightly unsightly, but not too noticeable and I can live with it (albeit somewhat begrudgingly).

Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
From the photo it does not look like it is down to the metal so rust should not be a issue.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Right, I know I'm stuck. Anyway, if I do nothing at this point, will the paint/metal be fine? My primary concern right now is will this lead to peeling and rusting. It's slightly unsightly, but not too noticeable and I can live with it (albeit somewhat begrudgingly).
Just brush a light coat of clear and move on if you don't want to fix it right.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Try some finish cut compound and then a wax... that's the best you can do.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,096 times
You've sanded through the clear coat. The underlying base coat is porous. There is likely a sealer under the base coat that will provide some protection, but you have opened it up so that moisture can get through. Yes, eventually the metal will corrode in that area.

Rule of thumb: If you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, you won't be able to sand it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive