Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM

551 posts, read 1,121,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I just put a new battery in my 95 Accord and the next day, I had to jump start it again several times. I got the battery replaced with another new one and still wouldn't start on its own. Someone suggested it might be a short. Could I please get some help on what this might be. Thanks.
the battery was never the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Just changed out my original starter on my 96 accord... im thinking its your turn to change yours.
It was pretty easy and as a non mechanic, i was able to do it.

You never answered the questions above, but when you put a new battery, did it start once, and die while you were driving around that day? or never start... to me never started = starter, driving around then not start alternator or god knows what. I was able to beat my start a few times with a hammer and make it start, so the troubleshooting for me was easy.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,344 times
Until you figure it out get the right size wrench to I.hook your ground side of your battery every time you turn it off. Then when you hook it back up your car should start for you. Sometimes it's something easy draining your system check for things left on, also could be your alt. But if it was you would start to have problems while your driving if you go far enough. Best thing take it to the parts store and ask for them to check both alt. And starter, if they are ok you have something staying on after the key is off. Unhook till you find it.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,273 times
I changed my alternator and put in a new battery it worked fine for about 3 or 4 months now it seems the alternator wont charge the battery once in a while resulting in car not starting occasionally I can watch the battery gause drop as im driving when it happens would that be a wire conecting alternator to the battery or something else it is a 94 camaro

Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opm1983 View Post
I changed my alternator and put in a new battery it worked fine for about 3 or 4 months now it seems the alternator wont charge the battery once in a while resulting in car not starting occasionally I can watch the battery gause drop as im driving when it happens would that be a wire conecting alternator to the battery or something else it is a 94 camaro

Could be a bad wire. Look at the simple stuff first-the belt to the alternator/generator. Tighten up the battery cable ends to the battery. Look at the posts for corrosion, if any then clean the posts. Is this one of those damned GM side mount batteries?

Old 12-06-2014, 03:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
If your cell phone is not working, do you go buy a new battery? Or do you plug it in to charge it first?

Car batteries need to be charged too. This is done by the alternator. If the car battery is not being charged, suspect the alternator first, not the battery. Learn to test these things with a multimeter.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:02 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvp View Post
I just put a new battery in my 95 Accord and the next day, I had to jump start it again several times. I got the battery replaced with another new one and still wouldn't start on its own. Someone suggested it might be a short. Could I please get some help on what this might be. Thanks.
What "this might be" is a need to test and identify the problem before replacing anything. Any competent repair shop can test your charging system.

Don in Austin

Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
That, usually is a sign of a bad starter motor.
Nonsense. Car starts with a jump.

Don in Austin

Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,317 times
i just recently purchased a new battery for our van ..whenever it sits more then one day it will not start all i get is a clicking moise from the battery then i need to jump start it...i was told the charging system is good but they said my battery is no good so i purchased a battery and i got this problem...please help....

Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefo1962 View Post
i just recently purchased a new battery for our van ..whenever it sits more then one day it will not start all i get is a clicking moise from the battery then i need to jump start it...i was told the charging system is good but they said my battery is no good so i purchased a battery and i got this problem...please help....
If the battery is no good the stores like AutoZone have these devices that they can test how much power is stored in the battery. Myself I use a digital voltmeter and test all the connections and first off measure the battery voltage across the battery posts then as far as you can get from those terminals looking for the same voltage, then start the car and look for something decently higher like 13.5 or 14 or so when the engine is spinning and alternator is working.

Also check the belt that turns the alternator too see if it slipping just not when its turning meaning dont stick your hands or fingers there. Check same under a heavier electrical load such as headlights wipers fan on, etc.

Then if all that checks out need to measure any current that is being drawn out overnight by something that is not turning off. Measuring current is s series measurement meaning you need to disconnect a battery terminal or cable and measure current with everything off, usually meters make you stick the probes into a different hole on the meter so you know its a different measurement than voltage.

If everything works right then it could be the battery, they usually have a decent warranty when they are new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive