Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American Muscle Cars, Which One Would You Choose?
Camaro 20 21.51%
Challanger 14 15.05%
Mustang 35 37.63%
Tough Choice 7 7.53%
I'll Stick With The Old Classics 9 9.68%
They're Nice, But Not Interested 8 8.60%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yes, I know..v6 vs v8 but this car has MASSIVE blind spots. I mean, I was a bit nervous making lane changes.
I just recently was driving a new challenger for a few weeks. And it was hard to get used to the blind spots. Then I drove in my friend's Camaro. Wow. I don't see how anyone could drive that on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
On the contrary, It comes with the territory, DOHC v8s are very large and bulky and take up valuable real estate. The Mustang is fine, it's just the motor that is a compromise. Hate to tell you that RPM creates heat, friction and wear, thats physics and you can't get around it. If you can make more power at a lower rpm is is always desireable. When people start putting the Ford DOHC motors in their cars to the extent that they are putting LS based engines into their project cars I may be swayed, but it's not going to happen! My other favorite conversion is putting BBC eninges into Fox bodies..It's the best!

you are wrong. Its that simple.. Go find the overall dimensions of a DOHC Ford v8 and compare to an LS motor.. . Its within inches.. And rpm does not create heat, friction and wear. The Ford motors are not spending hours at 7k+ rpm when you drive.. But they can.. This gives you a more usable rpm range in an engine. Everyone knows this.. Do you think NASCAR motors, F1 or top fuel motors rev to low rpm's when racing? If they do the engine would not be competitive..

Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I just recently was driving a new challenger for a few weeks. And it was hard to get used to the blind spots. Then I drove in my friend's Camaro. Wow. I don't see how anyone could drive that on a regular basis.
exactly.. Now you see what bad design does for a driver.. GM should be ashamed of themselves for producing such a car.. They make legends like the Corvette and then come out with a Camaro? come on

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Im not even gonna mention the 444 hp Boss 302....

Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you are wrong. Its that simple.. Go find the overall dimensions of a DOHC Ford v8 and compare to an LS motor.. . Its within inches.. And rpm does not create heat, friction and wear. The Ford motors are not spending hours at 7k+ rpm when you drive.. But they can.. This gives you a more usable rpm range in an engine. Everyone knows this.. Do you think NASCAR motors, F1 or top fuel motors rev to low rpm's when racing? If they do the engine would not be competitive..
Here you go and from a Ford source.
Ford Modular V-8 Engines Part 2 - Fitment Issues - Mustang & Fords Magazine

I don't have to go far because I have both engines at the shop. DOHC Ford engine is as large as a Boss 429 big block. Depending on accessories, the DOHC Ford engine is approx 3 inches taller. Length with "Accessories" is close, The biggy in width with the Ford being a whopping "7 inches" wider at the valve covers.

"rpm does not create heat, friction and wear?" you say? Guess it just defies the laws of phyics then? Guess all of those Thermal Dynmics classes I took in college were wrong?

I'll debate you if you have something worthwhile to debate, but judging from the above statement your throwing things out there based on conjecture and not fact.

Since you won't believe me, go ahead and google it yourself. Type in "Rpm versus temperature in a Internal combustion engine". Then, go ahead and find actual dimensions of the LS1 and the Ford DOHC v8s and then you can debate me with actual facts.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-13-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
I think they all have pluses & minuses...

I rented a 2010 Challenger for a week. I loved the smooth ride, the look, and the understated style. But I wasn't feeling it as a daily driver. Compared to a 2008 Mustang (that I drove before), it wasn't as nimble, had a horrible turning radius, and got worse gas mileage. I know, I know...no one buys a muscle car for gas mileage. But I also am not at the point in my life where I can own multiple cars. As much as I hate to admit it, the Mustang makes a better daily driver than the Challenger.

I never drove a Camaro...but I sat in one at a dealer. The interior was really, really off putting to me. This is sad; because I am such a fan of the old Pontiac Trans Ams (F-bodies). It just struck me as too gaudy...too immature.

To me the Challenger is the perfect mix of retro, understated muscle car design though. It would win for me....if I could regulate it to my weekend car!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Then I drove in my friend's Camaro. Wow. I don't see how anyone could drive that on a regular basis.
How come? Because of the blind spots?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
How come? Because of the blind spots?
Yep. Now maybe you get used to it after a while, but it was kind of crazy.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I think they all have pluses & minuses...

I rented a 2010 Challenger for a week. I loved the smooth ride, the look, and the understated style. But I wasn't feeling it as a daily driver. Compared to a 2008 Mustang (that I drove before), it wasn't as nimble, had a horrible turning radius, and got worse gas mileage. I know, I know...no one buys a muscle car for gas mileage. But I also am not at the point in my life where I can own multiple cars. As much as I hate to admit it, the Mustang makes a better daily driver than the Challenger.

I never drove a Camaro...but I sat in one at a dealer. The interior was really, really off putting to me. This is sad; because I am such a fan of the old Pontiac Trans Ams (F-bodies). It just struck me as too gaudy...too immature.

To me the Challenger is the perfect mix of retro, understated muscle car design though. It would win for me....if I could regulate it to my weekend car!
The mileage on the base V8's isn't much different between them assuming what is listed is accurate. Listed as 15/24 on the Challenger and 17/26 on the Mustang.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Here you go and from a Ford source.
Ford Modular V-8 Engines Part 2 - Fitment Issues - Mustang & Fords Magazine

I don't have to go far because I have both engines at the shop. DOHC Ford engine is as large as a Boss 429 big block. Depending on accessories, the DOHC Ford engine is approx 3 inches taller. Length with "Accessories" is close, The biggy in width with the Ford being a whopping "7 inches" wider at the valve covers.

"rpm does not create heat, friction and wear?" you say? Guess it just defies the laws of phyics then? Guess all of those Thermal Dynmics classes I took in college were wrong?

I'll debate you if you have something worthwhile to debate, but judging from the above statement your throwing things out there based on conjecture and not fact.

Since you won't believe me, go ahead and google it yourself. Type in "Rpm versus temperature in a Internal combustion engine". Then, go ahead and find actual dimensions of the LS1 and the Ford DOHC v8s and then you can debate me with actual facts.
That article refers to the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors.Not the Coyote engine which is a smaller package. It is not a bored out 4.6.

Why is it the Chevy guys can never give Ford credit when they come out with something new that everybody agrees is a great product.

You will never hear me say that the SB Chevy was not a great engine.

As far as high rpm engines running hotter, why is that an issue? Plenty of high RPM engines go 100k without any problems.

Read this so you know what your talking about,

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive