Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

When your driving down the road and see the crappiest car you've ever seen or the nicest car you've seen, which is more memorable to you, the nice car or the crappy one.

In the span of 2 weeks I saw a rotted out 70s hippy VW bus and a bentley.

neither vehicle i had ever seen on the road in my life before hand.

as nice as that bentley looked, that vw bus is unforgettable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Just depends on the circumstances, I guess...

For instance, I recall how a few months ago, I saw five Ferraris go down Stockton St. in San Francisco in a line, each one a different color. If you're a car guy, that's the sort of sight you'll remember!

There's also a beige mid-80's Corolla sedan that I always see parked on a street on the way to work that has all four door windows broken and it looks as though the inside and most of the outside is held together with tape. It sticks out because I wonder how in the hell the thing actually has tabs on it and can be legally operated...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
At first glance, I was thinking you were going to ask about which car have we owned that was more memorable, the nice one or the crappy one!!
Funny thing is I DO remember the CRAPPY one most, and how much fun I had in it!!!

I sold a NICE truck to buy a more crappy one so I wouldn't have to worry about the kids, the dogs or myself messing up a new truck!! See- having MORE FUN!!!

I had a 87 Camaro! Like Rockford Files! It was fast and fun!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 AM

379 posts, read 512,749 times
I definitely remember my crappiest car over my nicest car. My crap car was a 3 cylinder Subaru that I bought for $1500 and it got 38 mpg and had crank windows, a stick, no A/C, and I once got smoked by a school bus. But, $10 filled it up, I never worried about it getting stolen, left it unlocked always, and it was reliable and actually fun to drive.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
I'd say the crappy one. The nice ones you might go..."hmmm, that's good" and move on but the crappy ones..."heavens, how's that thing still moving under it's own power?"...."gee, I never knew you could use bungee staps thay way"..."hey kids, let's count how many colors are on that car!". Endless fun and I've even owned a few myself. "See, I told you we could make it out and back without breaking down" or "look, you don't drive the paint and you only get wet when it rains".

Many of us sympathize with crappy as we've been there and may be again. Almost anybody can sign up and buy a "nice" car. It takes guts, courage, luck and an ability to not be disturbed when people point and laugh at us to keep a $50 special alive.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Crappy cars, for sure. They have character. It amazes me how some cars are even still running. Just yesterday I saw a little old lady getting into a Honda Civic that must have been made in the 70's - no exageration. I know Honda's fairly well. It wasn't like a restored antique, either. It looked like she has been driving it that long - probably to and from the grocery store where I saw her once a week. I'll never forget it.

I see douche bags in super-nice cars every day.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Best car I ever owned was an '88 VW Fox that I bought for $900.00 in immaculate condition. while not crappy, it was cheap, and a ton of fun to drive.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I always remember the great cars. Years ago we were on I-40 outside of Amarillo. We were doing about 90. Little red dot in the rear-view mirror. Which got bigger and bigger and passed us doing about 120. At least. Ferrari Testarossa. We'd seen our share of Ferraris but not flat out hauling like that guy was.

About 20 minutes later we passed some little choke and puke and the Ferrari was parked out front. To this day we laugh about how hot Flo the waitress must have been.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post

I had a 87 Camaro! Like Rockford Files! It was fast and fun!
Rockford Files used a Firebird, not a Camaro.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
When you mention "Crappy Cars", the term should probably apply to just about every car that was made by GM, Ford, Chrysler, and AMC from 1974 until the around the mid 1980s, which was when the quality on them started improving.

Not too long ago, I saw a 1977 or 1978 Chrysler Cordoba, which looked like it just came out of a showroom floor. I don't know if the guy restored it or if he didn't drive it that much, but if I were to restore an old car, it certainly would not be a vehicle from that era.

On the other hand, a few months ago, I saw a blue 1970 Ford Mustang, with the white stripes. I forgot which version it was, but it was NICE! It was parked, and I didn't see who owned it, but I can tell you that it was worth every penny that was spent on restoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive