Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times

Advertisements

Wonder how much Congress got paid while coming up with such an ingenious plan? Much more than a lot of Americans made this month.... and work far less. Better yet, they make more in 3 months than MOST of us make in a year. http://www.legistorm.com/browse_by_senator.html
Ever looked at the Congress work schedule? 2011 Congressional Schedule, 112th Congress, 1st Session. From TheCapitol.Net

Gosh... I think I just figured out how to help out the ever growing national dept. Maybe if Congress salary was dropped to 5 figures and they had to work 40 hour weeks 4 weeks a month not only would it help the national dept, maybe they might actually come up with better solutions since THEY would be effected by it and all the Nations problems. That's part of the problem with Government, most are "above" the problems they are trying to solve. So not only do they not know what it is like to deal with the problem they certainly don't know how to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
All your answers are good so I didn't quote them, to save space.

That dweeb with the electric kool aid bicycle emblem on his lapel says it all.

These overpaid morons have had since the First Gas Crisis to come up with a national energy policy, period, and they fiddle while Rome burns.

This would be laughable if it weren't apparently serious on their part.

Gas would drop 50 cents a gallon almost instantly if the admin announced a realistic drill here drill now policy regarding using our own resources.

But their goal is "gas prices like Europe," and guess what, it's working. One of their very few successes.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

We have plenty of oil in many regions of our country, and if the president and congress would quit taking the side of environmental groups that are against domestic drilling, then we won't have to worry about very high gas price too much. We'll probably never see $2.00 a gallon again, but at least we won't have to depend on OPEC for an important resource.
So, I guess that BP thing has already been forgotten?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Congress has a sensible solution to high gas prices: Drive less
good thing they didn't ask me...

better solution to saving gas... Don't use gas, Get a 'grease-burner'

50 mpg since 1976, no OPEC (or GAS ) required.

Check your neighbor's brier patch, I have found a few free 'StealthRabbits' that way

Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Without wishing to appear rude, you don't know the meaning of high gas prices as far as we are concerned.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Without wishing to appear rude, you don't know the meaning of high gas prices as far as we are concerned.
There's an entirely different tax structure at work which is why the raw goods product ... which is essentially a fungible product priced the same across the world ....

Has a much higher retail price in other countries than the USA.

Personal automotive transportation is taxed via fuel taxes to support much more than the road system in those other countries.

Here is the USA, it's not taxed that way. Where we have public transportation systems, they are taxed by special districts ... usually by property taxes rather than fuel taxes.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Americas public transportation systems are nowhere near capable of functioning as an alternative to the car unless you live in a place like NYC,America has been basically built around having a car to get you there and not too many people would dump the car even if public transport was free,If saving gas is important to anyone then either move closer to work or buy a car that gets better fuel economy, Focusing on people who do drive a car to wherever these days theres no reason to not have a car that doesnt get 30mpg+and yes i know there are some out there that need a big gas guzzling truck to tow your Campers and boats and whatever,i'd suggest using the truck only for that purpose and get something more economical for daily driving..

Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 16,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You cant compare the demand in one very small country to one that is 100 times larger.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbolo View Post
You cant compare the demand in one very small country to one that is 100 times larger.
$6-$8 a gallon is damned expensive and probably why most sensible people over in Europe and Britain drive cars that get good gas mileage, not sure what demand has to do with the issue but your basic 15mpg pickup truck is almost non existent over there.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbolo View Post
I can certainly compare the price which is what counts to me and other consumers.

(And the USA isn't 100 times larger.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive