Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem with politicians is they look for solutions whose effects
Will be felt befor the next cycle. They need to look for long term solutions. Start by approving drilling in Anwar and off our nation's coast. Give approval to build new oil refineries. Make gas formulas standardized nation wide WITH NO ETHANOL OR OTHER SIMILIAR PRODUCT! And don't give me that standard liberal excuse "that won't go into production for ten years" excuse. They've been giving that excuse for over twenty years. I'd love to take a train across country but that's very limited right now and I don't want the federal government paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
None of what you recommend is a long term solution...

Quote:
They need to look for long term solutions.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Sounds like the thinking of most utility companies or small towns. They tell you to conserve energy or water. When you do, their profits drop so they raise the rates.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
None of what you recommend is a long term solution...
Really, increasing oil flowing and increasing production in our own refineries within our own nation isn't long term? Opening the coast to oil drilling would instantly lower oil prices. Building the first new oil refinery in about 30 years would eventually result in increased oil production. Having a new refinery would also give older refineries a chance to shut down production for modernization for improved production with less down time for repairs. The government needs to get out of the way.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I can certainly compare the price which is what counts to me and other consumers.

(And the USA isn't 100 times larger.)
I can't claim to be an expert on England's transportation choices ...

But as a tourist on several trips to rural England ranging from the outskirts of London (as fast as we could get away from Heathrow) to Southern and Southwestern areas, and then to Cornwall and up the coast ...

I observed that the farming community depended upon similar equipment to what we use in the USA, so there's no difference in the fuel economy there per acre of crop production compared to the USA.

I observed that livestock transport was done in lorries that were dedicated to that function, rather than the prevailing truck/trailer transport we use in the USA. Fuel economy advantage to the USA on this one ... my diesel 3/4 ton pick-ups can haul horses or other livestock at high teens mpg range. Those big lorries can't get anywhere near that type of fuel economy, although a big difference in their use is that I've got longer distances to travel for feed/supplies/vet/sale barns.

I saw a lot of Range and Land Rovers, which are pretty consumptive vehicles by anybody's standards for fuel economy. There were a fair number of the smaller pick-up trucks, too ... which see a lot of use and utility here in the USA. There's a lot of Ford Rangers, Chevy S-10's, Mazda, Toyota, and other small pick-ups in use here.

I was taken to various places in London ... such as Harrod's, or high priced residential districts where I saw a proliferation of Rolls-Royce/Bentley, V-12 powered M-B's, high end BMW's, Daimlers, Jaguars, TVR's, and exotic cars from Italy or domestic Brit production. Those cars are consumptive by anybody's standards, although we recognize that these aren't the everyday driver of the average wage earner. But even here in the USA, a Cadillac can achieve mid to high 20 mpg ... and some of the late ones based upon GM's euro car platforms can cruise at close to 30 mpg. It was comical seeing all the valet juggling of the cars on the street blocking traffic behind Harrod's .... as well as realizing that so many of those high performance cars were used in an area where they couldn't possibly see speeds in excess of 60-65 mph. In the city, these were the height of conspicuous consumption unless the owners were heading to homes in outlying areas instead of Mayfair or Kensington or ?

The USA consumer is prohibited by our emissions or saftey regulations from driving a whole host of high efficiency cars that are common in the European markets. I've been driving MB diesels since 200D's came out, and have progressed through the series to my 123 chassis 300Dt, along with driving a number of 504 & 505 Peugeots. In my England travels, I've always hired Peugeot's ... and been very happy with the size/performance & fuel economy. But these cars aren't sold in the USA, and the current crop of high effficiency diesels in the euro market aren't sold here because they won't meet California diesel emissions standards (which are more stringent than euro or fed USA standards) ....

One thing I did observe was the use of mini-cars ... a number of vehicles such as 2CV's, or an old Bond (long out of production, right?) or similar very low HP cars. Most of them incapable of maintaining 45 mph, and they were obstructing traffic everywhere I saw them in operation. Certainly not cars that would meet transportation requirements here in the USA, no matter how good the fuel economy. Suitable for Bermuda with a low speed limit throughout the island or a very dense city use only.

What's significant here is that anybody with a private car in England is heavily taxed via fuel taxes to support the public transportation system. Even at that, there's still a lot of folk that prefer to use their personal cars to the extent that cities impose use taxes for private cars to penalize and discourage that use. Did I understand correctly that London has some days that certain vehicles are even banned from entering the city?

Another aspect of the retail trade in England's cities I found very interesting ... was how common it was for wholesale deliveries to be made by hand truck to retailers or restaurants in dense areas. That's one man ... with a relatively modest amount of goods to be transported, which has got to be a high labor cost portion of the retail price of goods. Even in USA big cities, you'll see delivery trucks in the streets right up to storefronts or sidewalk delivery entrances for retailers ... even if it means double parking and blocking traffic as needed. I preferred to head to the "industrial park" exits off the highways where I found a larger supermarket type (Safeway, Tesco, etc) shopping available. Judging from the parking lots, this is a preference of many Brits, too.

FWIW, no ... the USA isn't 100 times larger than England. But at 3.8 million square miles compared to England's 50,000 square miles, it's still 76 times larger. The land mass of England would fit within the borders of many individual states here in the USA. The distances and topography of the land here are a totally different situation ... I was impressed with how close so many towns could be in England, yet so removed from one another due to topography and vegetation. There's no comparison to much of the USA with longer distances between communities. In the rural mid-west into the Rocky Mountain States, it's not uncommon to have 60-100 miles between communities of any size ... and the 60 miles distance was something that was established by the railroads through the area from the days when that was a day's travel for a steam locomotive powered train.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-06-2011 at 03:59 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Excellent rebuttal sunsprit.

Something to remember, England was settled and well traveled well before the US became a country. The US was settled and divided up by long railroad distances (as you mentioned) and developed after the advent of personal transportation. We have had cheap oil and cheap cars for over 100 years and most of our urban development centered around that. We don't just snap our fingers and reverse that to British levels overnight or even over a 10 year period. Nor should we.

Add to that we didn't WANT to be English anymore (much like Scotland doesn't want to be part of England either), and fought a war to not be like England just a couple hundred years ago.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Really, increasing oil flowing and increasing production in our own refineries within our own nation isn't long term? Opening the coast to oil drilling would instantly lower oil prices. Building the first new oil refinery in about 30 years would eventually result in increased oil production. Having a new refinery would also give older refineries a chance to shut down production for modernization for improved production with less down time for repairs. The government needs to get out of the way.
I definitely agree with you, and if the government were to get out of the way, that won't only solve the high gas prices problem, but it'll solve other problems as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I have a better idea than Congress. Motorcycle more on pleasure trips and write off the gas in trucks for business. Lets Congress pay for that gas. My bike can tow a trailer just fine.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Congress and the Obama administration will get their way when more and more people don't have jobs to drive to. That will keep driving down.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Instead of having congress telling us to drive less, I think many local governments can do a number of things that will reduce gas consumption.

One good solution is to remove some traffic lights that don't need to be there. You've probably seen such instances where a main road, with a lot of traffic, intersects with a smaller neighborhood street, and there's a traffic light at the intersection, and when traffic on the main road has to stop just so one or two vehicles from the smaller street can go through the intersection, in some cases those red lights hold the traffic on the main road for a period of time that's longer than any of us want, and gasoline is wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive