Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

Just get a cheap little subcompact. I had a Geo Metro that got 50MPG. I hear a lot of people bashing these cars, I loved it. 5 speed tranny could really come in handy for getting on the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I wonder how Congress would like it if everyone took the next 6 months off from work, and just said NO to taxes. If everyone stopped driving for 2 weeks the oil companies wouldn't know what to do for storage either. Tankers would be anchored off shore full, and with no way to pump the stuff out, no where to go because they are full. Make that a month and the fuel prices would crash to un-heard of levels.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 16,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I wonder how Congress would like it if everyone took the next 6 months off from work, and just said NO to taxes. If everyone stopped driving for 2 weeks the oil companies wouldn't know what to do for storage either. Tankers would be anchored off shore full, and with no way to pump the stuff out, no where to go because they are full. Make that a month and the fuel prices would crash to un-heard of levels.
Good idea but the oil companies would just find some place to store it and then raise the price to cover their loss.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
When Congress speaks everyone just hears a humming noise. This was well proven yesterday due to the multiple backups/traffic on the Beltway around DC.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
While driving will save gas in many cases thing won''t get done either !

Streetsblog Capitol Hill » Lawmakers Introduce Reality-Based Plan to Achieve “Freedom From Oilâ€

Yes, and you can be sure that the lawmakers are driving large gas guzzlers and limos.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
For dense urban environments, a variety of transportation options makes sense. But the reality is that there's millions and millions of people living in suburbs which were designed with cars in mind. The only solution is to go towards more electric options.

And this applies to folks in the countryside as well. I see no reason why a diesel/electric hybrid won't work in tilling the fields and driving 15 miles to the place where you will sell your wares. Electric engines are awesome too - easy to maintain, easy to understand, and INSTANT torque. Freaking violent from the moment you put your foot down. And diesel is so much better than gasoline at long distance driving. And in diesel engines you can run them on waste vegetable oil.

The whole infrastructure has to change. The whole rotten mess is dependent on oil and if we are going to keep our standard of living we have to switch the infrastructure to something that is readily abundant. We can easily switch a family of natural gas, solar power, wind power, geothermal, biofuel that is NOT bought out by the car/gas company cartel (remember that guy who invented the switchgrass to biofuel enzymes? well his patent was bought out by GM, who immediately buried it) and petroleum.

Boeing is currently researching special algae strains which secrete more oil after consuming special growth nutrients. That's doubly good because the algae can grow in waste water.

This shouldn't be so hard to understand to have a family of options ... the same thing happened when cars were first invented. For a while there were electric, diesel, and gas engines. It just so happened that gas came out on top because it was the least intrusive in a daily life pattern and the designer of the first electric motor-started gas engines (which form the basis of all engines today) liked gas better. It's interesting that we will have come full circle.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
For dense urban environments, a variety of transportation options makes sense. But the reality is that there's millions and millions of people living in suburbs which were designed with cars in mind. The only solution is to go towards more electric options.

And this applies to folks in the countryside as well. I see no reason why a diesel/electric hybrid won't work in tilling the fields and driving 15 miles to the place where you will sell your wares. (snip)
I see no apparent entries into the marketplace by manufacturers of the equipment I utilize in my fields. Most of our work requires a minimum of 90 HP, and that's only because I use older tractors (JD 4020's) ... all of my neighbors with serious farming businesses use a minimum of 120 HP turbocharged diesel tractors for any normal functions, and for dirt work (that's "tilling"), 300 HP.

Perhaps you KNOW something that the manufacturer's don't? Or are you just speculating something that you'd like to see us use but don't have a friggin' clue as to when/where/how we're going to be able to obtain it? And will it be affordable, pencil out for my farming chores?

I wish I only had 15 miles to drive for service/supplies/market for my wares.

Thanks to zoning issues around metropolitan centers and the cost of land which has a higher and better use for residential and commercial sites ... farm land is more remote than that ... unless you've figured out how to make $20,000-50,000 per acre land investment productive from legal farming.

For example, I'm headed out this AM to the only USDA poultry processor in a 3-state region (thanks again to the overly restrictive USDA & FSIS Federal requirements which have driven out of business all of the other licensed/inspected poultry processing plants that used to be economically feasible) that will accept small farm produced poultry for processing. It takes two round trips for the batch of birds; the first to deliver the birds for processing, the second ... tomorrow ... to pick up my birds "in a bag". 120 miles round trip, and I'm thankful that they're that close to me. Some folk have to drive 400+ miles for the same purposes. Many who used to do free-range natural poultry locally cannot justify the travel costs anymore and are out of business. Have you ever wondered why a chicken at Whole Foods is a $12-14 item compared to one 1/3 the retail cost at your supermarket?

As I've pointed out in many threads, I use my trucks when they are the only effective means of transport for my farming needs, such as towing a trailer load of chickens to the USDA processor. Otherwise, I use fairly fuel efficient cars (around 30 mpg, including gas and diesel vehicles ... although my old Peugeot 504 diesels used to get 36-38 mpg) for my personal transportation needs. What were you driving back in the 1970's and earlier? I was into economy cars all the way back to 1960's MB 200D's while you were still driving gas guzzlers ....

Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbolo View Post
Good idea but the oil companies would just find some place to store it and then raise the price to cover their loss.
As we type more storage containers are under construction, but there is no way they could keep that up if 'WE' stopped buying fuels en-mass for a month. Ever tanker they have would end up full, with no place to un-load.

It wouldn't even be a grind hault, it would be like a car crash BAM the whole thing stops, and all the way back to Saudi.
It would be easier to dam the Persian Gulf and pump it salt water free, for open air storage. LOL

Of course we won't, but I sure would like to see it just the same.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I see no apparent entries into the marketplace by manufacturers of the equipment I utilize in my fields. Most of our work requires a minimum of 90 HP, and that's only because I use older tractors (JD 4020's) ... all of my neighbors with serious farming businesses use a minimum of 120 HP turbocharged diesel tractors for any normal functions, and for dirt work (that's "tilling"), 300 HP.

Perhaps you KNOW something that the manufacturer's don't? Or are you just speculating something that you'd like to see us use but don't have a friggin' clue as to when/where/how we're going to be able to obtain it? And will it be affordable, pencil out for my farming chores?

I wish I only had 15 miles to drive for service/supplies/market for my wares.

Thanks to zoning issues around metropolitan centers and the cost of land which has a higher and better use for residential and commercial sites ... farm land is more remote than that ... unless you've figured out how to make $20,000-50,000 per acre land investment productive from legal farming.

For example, I'm headed out this AM to the only USDA poultry processor in a 3-state region (thanks again to the overly restrictive USDA & FSIS Federal requirements which have driven out of business all of the other licensed/inspected poultry processing plants that used to be economically feasible) that will accept small farm produced poultry for processing. It takes two round trips for the batch of birds; the first to deliver the birds for processing, the second ... tomorrow ... to pick up my birds "in a bag". 120 miles round trip, and I'm thankful that they're that close to me. Some folk have to drive 400+ miles for the same purposes. Many who used to do free-range natural poultry locally cannot justify the travel costs anymore and are out of business. Have you ever wondered why a chicken at Whole Foods is a $12-14 item compared to one 1/3 the retail cost at your supermarket?

As I've pointed out in many threads, I use my trucks when they are the only effective means of transport for my farming needs, such as towing a trailer load of chickens to the USDA processor. Otherwise, I use fairly fuel efficient cars (around 30 mpg, including gas and diesel vehicles ... although my old Peugeot 504 diesels used to get 36-38 mpg) for my personal transportation needs. What were you driving back in the 1970's and earlier? I was into economy cars all the way back to 1960's MB 200D's while you were still driving gas guzzlers ....

Yes Sir... Today I have to go from Tamworth NH to Amherst Mass. Tamworth is almost in Maine. To get to Amherst Mass I have to go to Vermont and then go south. That's clear across NH from here, before I turn south. And in a pick up because there is a machine there to be rebuilt and then shipped to red commie china. I haven't googled the map yet, so I don't know how many miles one way.

I get to move a fair amount of snow around here in winta' too. I need to figure out what I need in killer watts because I will most certainly need Killer watts to be moving snow, if we go electric

I am waiting for the left to tell me just exactly where all this 'clean power' comes from too.

IMO nukes are not that clean and can be a tad risky, but maybe we can run another cable from Japan It seems they made a wasteland, so a new set of Nuke plants on the same trashed land shouldn't be any real problem is it ?

Of course 'a collective we' on a global scale can flood pristine and wild woodlands by damming off a valley somewhere, and run more hydro, but the last time I checked that made a lot of methane gas, and created a lot of other toxins in the land, water and air.

I am just guessing you WONDER too.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Also, I wonder how these electric engines and high tech electronics will work in rural areas or on the farm where dirt and dust get everywhere. Also, how will these electric motors last in road salt areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive