Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Mitsubishi Starion, Acura NSX, Nissan 240SX, all the other sports coupes mentioned.

I will go a step further and note the sport compact cars that are already collectors: Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Toyota Corolla GT-S, Honda Civic SI, Mazda 323 GT, Suzuki Swift GT, Subaru Legacy RS, CRX.
get the **** outta here! not even running down Japanese imports, but what the other poster said is exactly what you did. any Japanese sub compact with a suffix attached to the end of its name is now a collectable, legitimate sports car that will be worth money??? what appears to have happened is that you wanted to say "well what about the imports?!!", which is something that you're obviously into based on the obscurity of some of your entries. for the record i'm going to go ahead and disagree with everything you mentioned other than the Acura NSX, which is and always has been a semi-exotic. and those, im not even sure if they've appreciated in value.

look, the point is that we might be reaching a point where the cars that we're talking about (late 80's Camaros/Firebirds and Mustangs, LT1 Impalas, and the deceptive looking Taurus SHO, ect.) may no longer just be passe, and may begin to resonate within the American psyche - that's what we're talking about here. believe it or not, this isnt just a list your favorite cars thread (or cars that you've owned thread), and it isnt even a anti-ricer thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I didn't read through the whole thread, but there are some cars that are starting to show signs of interest among enthusiasts:

The mid-90's Impala SS's, the 3rd Gen Camaro and Firebrid, the Fox body Mustang's in particular the LX and Cobra ones, any Corvette. I think all of those might have a decent shot at being collectible, most of all the Impala SS and the Vette's. The Camaro/Firebird and Mustang I would only include as they were very popular project drag racers, but I have been seeing more and more restored in stock form running around.

On the import front, any of the M series BMW's and AMG Mercedes cars are a pretty good bet. The old BMW 8-series also is gaining some popularity.

Of the Japanese cars, the NSX is the most likely one to become a true collector. After that the Supra and 3000GT are strong candidates. I almost put the Nissan 300ZX into the mix with the Supra and 3000GT, but I would put that on the next rung down with cars like the 240. I actually think the 240 may be more popular than the 300ZX in the future do to the large current interest in racing them. Kind of the same effect seen with 3rd Gen Camaro's and Fox Mustangs.

Of the Civic's and other similar cars, only the Civic Si's will really have a chance to become collector's, but I wouldn't be putting one in the garage and hoping for it. Even in it's day the Si was always seen as the "lesser" car compared to models available over seas.

I saw someone mentioning some Subaru's, some models may maintain a niche appeal, but I don't think they will ever become real collector cars.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
After that the Supra and 3000GT are strong candidates. .
agreed.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,954 times
RX7s, with 3 rotor swaps

Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,319 times
McLaren F1

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
RX7s, with 3 rotor swaps
forgot about those. thats a no-brainer.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM

50 posts, read 69,091 times
Deloreans lol such an awsome car. Wish they still made them. Totally Bad @ss.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Besides Vipers, Chrysler didn't have much to offer from this period although some like the K cars. I will say a Dodge Stealth R/T TT would be kind of cool, and while I actually kind of like the spoiler closer to the C pillar, I think I'd prefer something further back on the rear deck. I'm not much for a FWD 4 or 6 banger import, but I still wouldn't mind having a AWD R/T TT or 3000GT VR4 especially a retractable hardtop at some point.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
[quote=Linson;19568989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

my 89 has MAF metering. MAF is better, but i dont think it is a deal-breaker if even a consideration for most. would be a consideration (maybe a deal breaker) for me; probably would be a deal breaker for you, but more likely an afterthought if anything for most people.

and i think the 16" wheels vs. 15" wheels is a non-point. besides, have you ever tried to find good tires for 16" wheels. its ****in' frustrating. wheels, tires, brake packages on third gen Camaros/Firebirds is particularly frustrating.

actually, on the 15" mustang wheels (ive always kinda liked the 10-hole LX wheels) the problem isnt the 15" - the problem is the x7".
I have heard SD is better for performance and one less bottleneck as there is no MAF, only the TB. Currently LS1/LS2 folk prefer to go SD as there is more power. Of course, in the latter case it is tunable do not recall how it was back in the era. I always used Gatorbacks back then for the 16" rims. Then Kumhos.
I like the 15" phone dials as well but picked the more uncommon of the 5.0s combinations. '93 had body colored bumpers which was nice looking but everyone prefers the forged piston years. Same with the other cars on the list. Not necessarily the best only the more uncommon with performance options.

I know nothing of GM post-'87 as the entire family went Ford- '88 5.0 Coupe, '89 5.0 Hatchback, '91 5.0 Coupe. Well, that is how I recall it. My little 5'0 was the best car ever, as reliable as a Willys Jeep.

I agree the Monte Carlos SS Aerocoupe is hideous but it is rare. I did not included the Pontiac version glassback either because it had no pretentions towards performance as did the other GM G bodies-H/O or 442, Monte, GN/T-Types. Oldsmobiles were slow but that '83 Hurst Olds was one fine looker. I had an '85 442. Quite nice but slow.

I am sure there are some other rare models from back then that were more than just decal options. I try to forget the '80s as it was such a hp meager era unless you had a Turbo intercooled Buick or Cyclone.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-13-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
get the **** outta here! not even running down Japanese imports, but what the other poster said is exactly what you did. any Japanese sub compact with a suffix attached to the end of its name is now a collectable, legitimate sports car that will be worth money??? what appears to have happened is that you wanted to say "well what about the imports?!!", which is something that you're obviously into based on the obscurity of some of your entries. for the record i'm going to go ahead and disagree with everything you mentioned other than the Acura NSX, which is and always has been a semi-exotic. and those, im not even sure if they've appreciated in value.

look, the point is that we might be reaching a point where the cars that we're talking about (late 80's Camaros/Firebirds and Mustangs, LT1 Impalas, and the deceptive looking Taurus SHO, ect.) may no longer just be passe, and may begin to resonate within the American psyche - that's what we're talking about here. believe it or not, this isnt just a list your favorite cars thread (or cars that you've owned thread), and it isnt even a anti-ricer thread.
Why are you so offended? The cars I listed have developed a cultish following. I decided not to list any American cars because I believe there are other genres of autos that will be collectables, if they aren't already. I'm not basing this on price or bias towards Japanese cars. Look at the AE86 Toyota Corolla (Trueno) of the mid 80s. It has certainly become a collectable amongst fans. Why would you think anything different of the others? Another example, the 91-94 Nissan Sentra SE-R. Take a look at the following that car has developed.

Why are you so dismissive of the possibility that these cars would be collectibles? Mitsu Starion/Dodge Conquest? You don't think that would be a collectable? You know how rare that thing is? Same with the Mazda 323 GT. I just believe you aren't very educated on, and very biased against, imports and this is what you're basing your conclusion on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive