Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM

34 posts, read 145,890 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is 6'4", 280, and he drives a full size pickup and a Mini Cooper 2-door. He says he has plenty of room in either. I notice the Mini Cooper has extra wide doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
So in most cars I feel pretty cramped, not enough leg room and I have to bend over to be able to see well. What are some cars or trucks that work well for taller people? right now I am looking at ford rangers, broncos, f150s, and crown vics, so if anyone knows how well these might accomodate me please let me know. but if you know of any other cars that work well for taller people let me know!

My boyfriend is tall he is 6'3"
he has a chrystler sebring...not sure if I spelled that right.
He also has a ford expedition

Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
I am 6'4", 180lbs, 36" inseam.

--'03 ION was perfect in the front seats.
--'03 VIBE was perfect in both the front and back seats.
--'86 FIERO was perfect in either seat.
--'08 Saturn AURA was perfect in front or back.
--'02 DeVille is perfect in all six spots.
--'08 G6 is perfect in front or back.
--'05 Prius is fine in front or back.

Cars that were too small even though you would think they are fine:
--Town Cars/Crown Vic are too small in back
--All SUVs are too small for me.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
My boyfriend is tall he is 6'3"
he has a chrystler sebring...not sure if I spelled that right.
He also has a ford expedition
Which year Sebring? My tiny wife drives an 07 Sebring and it has plenty of head room. Her friend drives an older Sebring and a tall person would feel cramped.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
How tall is tall? I'm 6'4" and it is the rare car I completely can't drive do to my height.

The best one I ever found overall was the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO and the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8, as the other poster said, driving one makes you feel almost average there is so much room.

After those, BMW's actually have a lot of driver room in them. The only drawback is that no one is going to be sitting behind you in a 3-series if you're really tall.

My current car is a Chevy Malibu with a sunroof and I feel like I am as tall as you can be to comfortably fit in the car.

My pointless answer would be a Smart car, they actually have a ton of head and leg room.
Which year Malibu? Tall guy at work and my tall brother-in-law fit fine in the 97-03 (BIL) and 04-? Model but can't fit in the current Malibu without their head brushing the headliner.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Here's the Motor Trend/Galpin Ford Flex Limo conversion. Sweet ride.
Motor Trend Ford Flex - Building the Motor Trend Ford Flex - Motor Trend - Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Any other parameters? I'm 6'7" with a 34" inseam (so most of my height is upper body), weigh about 300lbs and have wide shoulders. While finding comfortable vehicles has been tough, it's not impossible. Here's a short list of what I've found works well:

1) 08 and newer Scion xB. This is my current ride. TONS of headroom, good amount of legroom, good shoulder room for a compact car, decent mileage, good power, reliable. Will comfortably hold 4 full-size adults much better than even a midsize sedan due to the more upright seating position (think student desk chair versus recliner).

2) 04-06 Pontiac GTO. Quite simply, the only car I've ever owned where I not only fit but felt 'average-sized' in it. 2004 models benefitted from NOT having a dead pedal, meaning I could strech my left leg all the way out and rest my foot on the firewall. I actually had to move the seat slightly forward from the farthest back setting to comfortably drive this. Need 4 doors? No problem. Just get the Pontiac G8. It's the exact same car.

3) 00-07 Ford Focus. No, seriously. I had one for years and it was a GREAT little car. My only complaint was the lack of shoulder room. I was pretty much guaranteed to rub shoulders with any 'full size' passenger.

4) Full-size pick-ups. Take your pick. I've driven Chevys and Fords since I was 15 and don't really have a preference between the two.

5) Ford FLEX. This is the old man's current ride and, wow, can it hold some tall folks! High roofline, plenty of shoulder room, lots of second row legroom (I fit behind the old man without even beginning to rub my knees on the back of his seat).

Mike

Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
I am 6'4" and a Large dude but losing weight slowly. I have a long back and a 31" inseam. I have driven mostly F150's all my life and currently drive a 4x4 F150 supercab so I can lean back seat.

I had a 94 Crown Vic and had plenty of room but it set to low to the ground and I have severe hip problems so sold it. I had a Focus a few yrs back and had plenty of room but was like driving a go cart down road.

Other cars I had room in were 68 Lincoln, 76 Lincoln Mark IV, and belive it or not a 1981 280ZX Datsun. Plenty of leg room and head room but too low to ground.

I also currently drive a E150 full sized conversion van but a little uncomfortable for leg room on passenger side up front.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Element has the most room I think.
I have seen guys well over 6 feet with a cowboy hat and room to spare in the Element. HUGE headroom, plenty of leg room.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
I would agree that Crown Vic's and Magnums look spacious but aren't. I'm 6'0 and don't feel comfortable in them. I've driven a Chrysler 300 (2009) and felt comfortable. Charger's are ok.

What about Impala's (2001-2004). Anybody know about the leg room in those? Since I'm asking....What about he gas mileage?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Pope Mobile and Volvos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive