Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

When I was working for VW in sales, we had this one metallic color that was an eggplant/brown metallic color on a tan interior. I don't recall the name of it... I thought that it looked pretty cool, but seemed to be the only one (I dubbed it "sensual chocolate"), since the car sat on the lot for a year and a half and was ultimately bought by a really cheap dork who didn't care what sort of car it was, what color it was, what the options were... he just wanted the best deal. Those people were probably the most annoying to deal with when I sold cars...

It was like when we took in a green or yellow Jetta in on trade... we were always reluctant to take them in on trade no matter how pristine they were, because no one wanted them. It was a love-or-hate deal.

Anyways, when most people see an interior like this:

They don't get all misty eyed, and shake their head at how today's cars just look so boring and dull compared to the good old days.

They think of this:

They imagine the smell of decades of stale tobacco. They think of sleazy lounges that still have cigarette vending machines with fake woodgrain facades. They think of guys in leisure suits saying things like, "that's the brakes, baby!" and asking if they want to come back to their suite at the Holiday Inn with them.

Carmakers do not want to invoke feelings like this, no. They want you to look at this:

And think of this:

http://www.interiordesignmagz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MIXX-Bar-Lounge-provide-beautiful-views-to-the-Tokyo-city.jpg (broken link)
http://www.interiordesignmagz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MIXX-Bar-Lounge-modern-and-cozy-lounge.jpg (broken link)

The times have-a-changed, my friends. The times have-a-changed. And the styles changed with them.

I know it's hard to believe that a Toyota-made vehicle (Lexus) can ride smoother than the flagship of the American fleet circa 1970, but it shouldn't be surprising... it's got four decades of engineering on it. I know it's amazing that you can't impress an early-20-something co-ed with velour barcalounger-like chairs, but don't feel bad... I can't impress them with my favorite selections from the 90's anymore, either.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 06-22-2011 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
The comments about having many choices to pick from when getting a new 50"s,60's, or 70's vehicle,brought me back to the day I ordered my very first car.
I was 17, and saved my money ,having worked since I was 13 years old.
In October of 1956, I ordered a new 57 Ford convertible.
I had one color, and one color only in mind when I ordered the car.
I knew I wanted a two tone car, and the Ford colonial white was the light color I wanted, then the contrasting color I wanted came out of one of my mom's good housekeeping mags.
In that magazine was a picture of a window with dark purple drapes, and that color really did it for me.
I took the picture with me to the ford dealer, and the salesman said he would forward the request.
Three days later he told me it would be on my new convertible.
Seven weeks later, I picked up my new convertible, and it was stunning to say the least.
I wish I still had pictures of that car.
I have attached a picture of a similar car to the one I had.
This one is exactly like mine, right down to the fender skirts, and continental kit.
Where this one is darker blue, mine was dark purple, and where lighter blue, mine was colonial white.
The interior was black and white.
Pretty sharp car for a teen just out of high school.
The choices back then were plentiful, and dealers went far and beyond to satisfy a customer.
I wonder what the dealers would say today if you walked in with a picture from a magazine and said, "I want this color "?
They would laugh you right out of the showroom.
You can click the image to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
which car brand does the best with interior features and interior comfort/styling-57ford-convt.jpg  

Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I was working for VW in sales, we had this one metallic color that was an eggplant/brown metallic color on a tan interior. I don't recall the name of it... I thought that it looked pretty cool, but seemed to be the only one (I dubbed it "sensual chocolate"), since the car sat on the lot for a year and a half and was ultimately bought by a really cheap dork who didn't care what sort of car it was, what color it was, what the options were... he just wanted the best deal. Those people were probably the most annoying to deal with when I sold cars...

It was like when we took in a green or yellow Jetta in on trade... we were always reluctant to take them in on trade no matter how pristine they were, because no one wanted them. It was a love-or-hate deal.

Anyways, when most people see an interior like this:

They don't get all misty eyed, and shake their head at how today's cars just look so boring and dull compared to the good old days.

They think of this:

They imagine the smell of decades of stale tobacco. They think of sleazy lounges that still have cigarette vending machines with fake woodgrain facades. They think of guys in leisure suits saying things like, "that's the brakes, baby!" and asking if they want to come back to their suite at the Holiday Inn with them.

Carmakers do not want to invoke feelings like this, no. They want you to look at this:

And think of this:

The times have-a-changed, my friends. The times have-a-changed. And the styles changed with them.

I know it's hard to believe that a Toyota-made vehicle (Lexus) can ride smoother than the flagship of the American fleet circa 1970, but it shouldn't be surprising... it's got four decades of engineering on it. I know it's amazing that you can't impress an early-20-something co-ed with velour barcalounger-like chairs, but don't feel bad... I can't impress them with my favorite selections from the 90's anymore, either.
I much prefer the interiors of those first two cars than the other two cars. The first two look very comfortable.

The times do change... sometimes for the worse!

Who says a Lexus rides smoother than the flagship of American fleet circa 1970?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You need to go to car shows that are not at some cheap Sat night burger joints and go to a place with some class. Try here. We will be here.

22nd Annual Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous
I usually stop by the Friday night Bob's Big Boy (in Northridge) car show. I see the same type of cars that I just say in the photo album of the one you posted the link to.

I also attend the Mopar Spring Fling in Van Nuys (the biggest Mopar car show west of the Mississippi) and the annual all-G.M. car show (with 100s of cars) both at Woodley Park.

I have seen at those cars shows cars worth a lot of money. And yes, cars with class.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I much prefer the interiors of those first two cars than the other two cars. The first two look very comfortable.

The times do change... sometimes for the worse!
That's you. You're in the extreme minority.

Quote:
Who says a Lexus rides smoother than the flagship of American fleet circa 1970?
I'm not getting into it with you

Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's you. You're in the extreme minority.
Not quite. Classic cars are extremely popular at car shows. In fact, they are extremely popular, period. Examples in excellent condition are worth a lot of money.

Quote:
I'm not getting into it with you
Nothing to get into. A circa 1970 car like a Lincoln Continental, Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan and Limousine had an extremely smooth ride. Due to several factors... a long wheelbase, heavy weight and suspension elements like unsprung weight.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,393 times
All in all I don't think yesterdays cars are more comfortable than todays cars. Maybe the seats were larger, the suspension was "classic-like", but essentialy many seats had no lateral support compared to todays Audis or BMW in which I have the feeling the seats are just made to fit me.

The air suspension of todays Mercedes S-Class is very good, and comfort also means a very smooth riding with high speed. Old cars are often very loud (due to air streams) and today the sound engineers guarantee less wind sound.

Regarding interior styling, I'd go for Audi and BMW, regarding interior comfort I'd prefer Mercedes or Cadillac.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
The older cars were smooth, they typically handled like a boat too...simply floating over imperfections in the road, but whipping the wheel to one side or the other at speed could result in some very undesirable traits.

Old cars are very popular, but for the vast majority of folks they're not the best daily drivers. They're great to look at on the show circuit, they're the perfect ride for perfect days. But when it's raining, snowing, sleeting, or you're headed on along road trip the classic probably gets the joy of staying in the garage while the "modern" workhorse takes to the road.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The older cars were smooth, they typically handled like a boat too...simply floating over imperfections in the road, but whipping the wheel to one side or the other at speed could result in some very undesirable traits.

Old cars are very popular, but for the vast majority of folks they're not the best daily drivers. They're great to look at on the show circuit, they're the perfect ride for perfect days. But when it's raining, snowing, sleeting, or you're headed on along road trip the classic probably gets the joy of staying in the garage while the "modern" workhorse takes to the road.
I really need to disagree with your comments.
It is not my daily driver, but I usually take the Tbird out somewhere everyday.
Many of those miles are on the freeway, and this car rides incredibly smooth, and handles fine.
Could be because it has all new suspension, and I would put it up against anything made today for driving comfort.
Bob.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,197 times
for me i want the most gadgets, the best upholstery, the best look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive