Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times

Advertisements

roads have speed limits, cars are constantly on roads.

when are you really going to get the opportunity to utilize the performance of a vehicle when you are driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
In the rare case of an emergency situation you want a car that can get out of its' own way, having a little extra umph can be important in that scenario. Truth however is that while those times are rare, most vehicles that are currently on the market have plenty of power to get out of their own way. Just about every car on the road today has the capability to go more than 100 mph, and some significantly more. Speed regulations vary also, from city to county, state to state, and country to country. Just because 55mph is the speed limitation in one location doesn't mean it isn't 80mph somewhere else, and 85mph (not even enforced) somewhere else, not to mention certain pieces of road around the world that lack speed limits all together.

Performance though is a all encompassing word, and it doesn't speak necessarily to only Horsepower and acceleration as much as total vehicle performance. In that case, a vehicle that can handle lateral acceleration (G's) is equally as important as straight line acceleration which is equally as important as deceleration/braking. Top Speed is mostly for bragging rights than anything else, and vehicles that perform well in these other three categories tend to be incredibly popular amongst consumers as they're typically viewed as being a "driver's car".

Some quick examples would be: Mini Cooper, BMW 3 series, Cadillac CTS, Mazda 3, Pontiac G8, Volkswagen GTI, etc....I didn't name any super performers out there, and any of these in some iteration could be purchased by the vast majority of middle class folks.

As to why it's important in a safety nutshell...A vehicle that handles precisely, accelerates well, and brakes quickly can often be a much safer vehicle than a typical vehicle with say 10 air bags...the only reason is, this vehicle may not have to use the airbags as it can often avoid many (not all) of the dangers that are encountered on the road.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
I agree with flynavyj's post and would add: For the sheer fun of it! A high performance vehicle can simply be a joy to drive, whether pure acceleration and/or its curve dancing capabilities. Few things put more of a smile on one's face than hitting the apex just right and power sliding through at maximum warp.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Because no one every goes above the speed limit.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
That's why I sold my 1972 El Camino when gas got to $4 a few years ago. The only time I could really enjoy the 330 horsepower and hear the air being sucked through the cowl induction hood system was getting onto the freeway after work, and I'd just get up to 60 and have to slow down for the first traffic jam.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
In short because there are lots of people who have power issues and a big or powerful machine seems to complete that void and make them whole. Highest speed limit is usually 70. A ten year old Chevy corsica could make the grade. Another thing is status. We live in a world of strangers that loves to impress strangers. Back off haters.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Totally should have put "Fun to Drive" on the list, lol!!! When i bought the jetta 4 years ago my biggest concern was making a car payment on a vehicle i wouldn't enjoy. While the jetta isn't a power house by any means, the road holding, great steering, and excellent stability at speeds makes the car an absolute blast. The only regret is I didn't spend the $$ on the BMW when i had the money to spend...either way, this car has been a blast to drive since day 1, and I'm very glad i made the choice not to buy an econobox but something with a little heart and soul instead.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
roads have speed limits, cars are constantly on roads.

when are you really going to get the opportunity to utilize the performance of a vehicle when you are driving?
On my early morning cruises on Sunday...you can find me on a nice flat curvy road

Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
When I break the law.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
I can utilize a cars performance anytime I want to. It's called a race track. Or a back country road where traffic is very light. Yeah it might be illegal but if I get a speeding ticket or hauled off to jail, so be it. Life is too short not to have fun.

Also as posted above sometimes you need the extra power on tap to avoid not getting into a collision because you're trying to get somewhere in traffic and there's idiots on the roads.

Geez...why do some people want to drive slow boring cars that could put one to sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive