Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Oh my god! I think we finally found one thing we actually agree on!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
There's plenty of quality music, including rock, being produced today, if you can't find it your either not looking or bad at it.

And it's the same way with cars.
You shouldn't have to "find" good music; it should find you.
Same thing with cars.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
exactly.. This is a sure sign your too old if you can't tell the cars apart.. I hear this sometimes and its always an older person who claims that 'back in the old days, I could tell cars apart'. Guess what? so can my 17 year old Son with todays cars.. They are just as different as you old guys remember! He can tell cars from taillights at 200 years at night.... Because today is his era in cars..
What about the average person on the street? Take off the emblems and have someone (a non car-enthusiast) identify a basic new Honda or Nissan or Chevy.

Quote:
I've owned 60's supercars and todays supercars.. They have just as much 'soul' today as they did 40 years ago
Not in a million years! Soul does not reside in plastic!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I've never managed to mistake a Focus for a Honda....

I just don't think it's accurate, even my wife can easily tell the different brands and models apart, when that's the case, a car enthusiast really ought to be able to.

I think it's more a matter of you not being interested in modern cars to the same extent, and because of that, they seem bland. That's not exactly an uncommon phenomena.
Then what are these modern cars...

(I don't know the answer; I had to write down the names of the cars when I took the photos but the paper is long gone.)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You shouldn't have to "find" good music; it should find you.
Same thing with cars.
Wow... ok, let me rephrase. If you don't think there's any good music today, you aren't letting it "find you". Same with cars.

If you want to live in the past, by all means, do so, but that doesn't mean nothing of today has any quality.

I prefer to do both.

Quote:
The closest ones looks like a Toyota Corolla (Or Geo Prizm, same car), Don't know the second one, might be a domestic or US specific, appears there's a Mailbu almost hidden after it, then a Forester then an Altima. That's all the ones I could see in the picture, though the front of what appears to be a Cadillac is peaking out in the background.

The last picture is a Honda Accord. Everyone should know that, they're all over the place.

EDIT: There's a wing waaaay behind the other cars. It's the only thing you can see, so I'm not sure on this one, but it looks like it might belong to a Honda Civic Type-S.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
No matter what the year, car people can always tell what kind of car it is. Period.

You don't even think about it. It automatically registers.

It didn't occur to me until recently that most people aren't like that. They just see a sea of cars...some will think, car, car, SUV...but the whole time in my mind, it's an unconscious registering of not just the make but the MODEL of car everywhere I go.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
What about the average person on the street? Take off the emblems and have someone (a non car-enthusiast) identify a basic new Honda or Nissan or Chevy.

just like the average non car person 40 years ago. They could not tell one car from another then or now

Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:

(I don't know the answer; I had to write down the names of the cars when I took the photos but the paper is long gone.)

First one is a corolla and the second is an Accord

Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Material makes no matter.. Its how you feel about a car. I remember(in the 70's) old guys who owned cars from the 40's and earlier saying the same thing about 60's and 70's cars.. "These new fangled cars with their paper thin sheet metal and no fins! No one will ever want them like the way everyone will when cars were cars!!" .. They were wrong too

Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
I can usually identify newer cars, but not as well as older cars. Plus they rarely make cars with one or two year unique stylings. Just consider now that most cool modern American cars are meant to be throwbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive