Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend owns a 1992 Toyota SR 5 4x4 pickup (automatic). She loves that truck.

A few months ago she started hearing the proverbial "clicking" and "popping" sounds when making a hard left and right turn. Time to get the CV joints replaced.

But, she also told me that the truck is having a difficult time getting up to speed now. I took it for a test drive last night. When accelerating at city street speeds the truck does experience sluggishness. It will reach the speed I'm aiming for, but slowly.

When accelerating at highway speeds it feels like I'm towing a boat, trailer, or something else that is dragging it down. Again, it will reach highway speed, but slowly.

I turned into an empty school parking lot and came to a complete stop. The tach read 800-900 RPM's at idle. I put the truck into Drive, took my foot off the brake, and allowed the truck to move under idle power only. The truck moved so slowly the speed wouldn't even register on the speedometer. I estimated that I was going only 1-2 mph.

I figure that, at 800-900 RPM's, the truck should be traveling around 5-10 mph under idle speed only.

Is it possible that the defective CV joints could be causing the drag and the sluggish power performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
I doubt that a worn out CV joint would cause such a problem. It's something else; could be reduced engine power to slipping transmission. Did you check transmission fluid level ?

Regarding CV joint life, does the truck have a manual hub lock ? If so, the popping and clicking sound can be alleviated (for now) by disengaging the hub locks, keeping the CV joint from rotating. Adding hub locks (if it currently doesn't have one) will lengthen the life of the CV joints, however, the life expectancy of the truck this old will likely negate the saving.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
I doubt that a worn out CV joint would cause such a problem. It's something else; could be reduced engine power to slipping transmission. Did you check transmission fluid level ?

Regarding CV joint life, does the truck have a manual hub lock ? If so, the popping and clicking sound can be alleviated (for now) by disengaging the hub locks, keeping the CV joint from rotating. Adding hub locks (if it currently doesn't have one) will lengthen the life of the CV joints, however, the life expectancy of the truck this old will likely negate the saving.

I haven't been able to check anything on it yet. I'm in the middle of remodeling the main bathroom in my house. Last night was the first time I've been able to take the truck for a spin to get a feel for what it's doing.

Also, she mentioned that she can hear a ticking sound that resembles a playing card in a bicycle wheel. This could indicate an exhaust leak or vacuum leak. My first thought was a clogged EGR valve for the sluggishness, and a cracked EGR vacuum hose for the ticking sound. I was unable to hear the ticking sound last night, but I'm getting older and my hearing isn't what it used to be.

But, something is definitely causing the drag because the truck should easily be able to move 5-10 mph at idle speed of 800-900 RPM's.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
No, that isn't a CV joint problem. Any moving part that binds enough to make the car feel like it's towing a boat, will either burn up or break in no time.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
No, that isn't a CV joint problem. Any moving part that binds enough to make the car feel like it's towing a boat, will either burn up or break in no time.

That's my take on it as well. After the test drive I checked the front and back wheels. I didn't see anything glowing red hot, or feel any excessive heat coming from the CV joints or the brake rotors.

I'll do more extensive troubleshooting as soon as I can. I just wanted to get some ideas to bounce around.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
That's my take on it as well. After the test drive I checked the front and back wheels. I didn't see anything glowing red hot, or feel any excessive heat coming from the CV joints or the brake rotors.

I'll do more extensive troubleshooting as soon as I can. I just wanted to get some ideas to bounce around.
Looking for heat is a good way to find what's dragging, those little IR non-contact thermometers are not that expensive.

You certain the brakes are not dragging? Tires got proper pressure?

Does this truck have a 2-piece driveshaft with a journal bearing? I was working on a Ford 3/4 ton awhile back with such, and the journal bearing was seized, it was soaking up considerable power, plus vibrating the truck pretty good.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
CVJ's click bad and quit altogether when they are past bad. You get 0 power to the driving wheel. The inner joint spins in the outter joint then. You just hear rattliing and get no go.

I agree something else is wrong.

Test drive again and shift to neutral to coast. This if the vehical slows as if the brakes were applied then there is something wrong with the brakes or maybe another suspention related part, and ot that bad center joint on the drive shaft Mitch mentioned.

If you get to feeling arounf with a hand take care to not just grab at things. 600 degrees hot is still balck parts not anything you can see, but you sure can get a nasty burn.

Another test, more related to the ticking, might be to rev the engine easy in park, and slowly increase RPM, to see f you can get RPM. If then you hear any ticking, look for a exhaust leak, and perhaps a dull red cat in dimmer light. A clogged cat will hiss as well out the tail pipe.

These are just ideas. I don't know what's wrong.

Mitch the 94 Toyota Pick Up here, No name , just Toyota Pick Up , indeed does have a center bearing in the drive shaft. A bother to me is this truck is also 4x4, but in 2 Hi no cvj's turn.

Maybe they are more Dodge like on newer Toys? I don't know that either.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Does the truck rev higher than normal when it seems like you're not going anywhere, or is it the same RPM you're used to at that speed? I'm no mechanic, but if the engine revs higher than normal for a given speed, then the problem is likely in the transmission or torque converter (slippage).

Real car experts may feel free to comment.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Try parking on an incline after you've driven it for a while. Just find a subdivision street or something similar with a steep grade and no traffic. Put it in neutral and release the brake pedal. You're checking for a dragging brake. If it starts rolling easily. you most likely don't have a brake problem.

Since you recently had axle work done, I'd first suspect a brake caliper may have been re-installed with the hose twisted. That could cause a dragging brake.

Another possibility is a clogged catalytic converter or exhaust system. That will definitely kill the power and make strange sounds.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been thinking about this issue, in between other projects that I'm working on around the house, and I have a laundry list of things to check on her truck. Hopefully I'll get some spare time soon to really dig into the truck and find out what's going on with it.

With a truck that old I highly doubt the issue is actually caused by any one thing. More than likely there is are multiple things wrong. I will find as many as I can and then let her decide how much money she is willing to put into fixing it.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive