Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times

Advertisements

I thought the old school Nova's were sweet rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't think they have room in their lineup for another car right now unless they want to compete in the RWD family sedan segment again. There's on-again/off-again rumors about them doing just that, either for police cruisers only or for police and civilian use, but the latter is harder to make the case for in the face of tightening emissions and fuel economy regulations. But if they do, that would be a good use of the Nova name I suppose. But knowing GM, if they do bring back the Nova name it will probably get slapped on some FWD 4-door family sedan that doesn't deserve the name. Not that the name can be sullied any more than by putting it on the back of a Corolla like they did a couple decades ago.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
After seeing how they f'd up the camaro I am hoping gm don't try to ressurrect such a cool and great car as the nova or Chevelle. In the 80s the nova came back as an economy car. leave retro comeback cars to Ford and Chrysler for the chalenger. Gm needs a major overhaul.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 AM

45,381 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The Nova name or the look? They can bend sheet metal anyway they want for the look. Remember the thread a couple years ago asking about a Chevette comeback? That guy wanted not just the look but the mechanicals, too.

About the Camaro. I had the same thought about it likely being a POS until I drove my friend's new SS. Not admitting anything but that car will scream down the road. Decent handling, some cool features that you can live without. Overall my opinion changed.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I thought the old school Nova's were sweet rides.

Spanish answer: No va.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Wasn't the ORIGINAL Nova Chevrolet's compact family sedan made to compete with Ford's Falcon? Though it later had a performance model, the majority sold were still 6 cylinders. In regard to performance, economy, handling, and size I'd say today's Malibu fits more closely to the Nova name than the Malibu. However, if they ever give the Cruze any real performance then it could be worthy of the Nova name. Before you scoff, the V6 Malibu factory does 0-60 in about 6 seconds and handles better than the Nova on the corners in stock dress. The big appeal of the original Nova was its ease of engine swap to turn it into a muscle car. If GM were to convert a modern FWD sedan into a Nova, they'd have to offer performance options like turbo or super charger among other things.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
After seeing how they f'd up the camaro I am hoping gm don't try to ressurrect such a cool and great car as the nova or Chevelle.
There isn't a better looking car on the road in America today than the new Camero...!
That's why they make different flavors of ice cream, not everyone has the same taste...

Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Spanish answer: No va.
Translation: Does not go. Which was why they didn't sell very well in Latin America.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
If they were to bring back the Nova, it would be a mere shadow of itself. The Nova was actually a top trim level for the Chevy II from 1962-68. In '69 and onwards they were all Novas. In essence, the Chevy II, and the (later) Nova were low dollar economy cars, with minimal options, aimed at the person looking for a good sturdy car without a huge price tag. That meant no frills. If they built a Nova today, they'd have to add the leather heated seats, heated mirrors, and a whole laundry list of luxury items that would take away from what the Nova stood for. All because that's what people want anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But knowing GM, if they do bring back the Nova name it will probably get slapped on some FWD 4-door family sedan that doesn't deserve the name.
X 1000. They screwed up in the 80's by taking a well respected car name and slapping it on some junk imported ecnobox. A real slap to the face of the name. The real Nova, which was by far a well built low dollar car, died when GM decided they'd rather axe a good model in December 1978 in favor for one of the pioneers of failure vehicles for GM *cough*Citation*cough* in 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wasn't the ORIGINAL Nova Chevrolet's compact family sedan made to compete with Ford's Falcon? Though it later had a performance model, the majority sold were still 6 cylinders.
Yes the Chevy II was designed to compete with the Ford Falcon. And yes most came with inline 6 cylinders. However, from 1962 to 1970 you could get a Chevy II or a Nova with a 153 cubic inch inline 4 cylinder engine. That was actually the base engine thru 1970, with the 6 as optional and the V8's also optional. 1971 thru the last Nova built in December of 1978 (as a 1979 model) the 6 cylinder was the base engine.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
This was a pretty neat showing of Nova's last March. About 110 cars. CHP let them cruise the freeway, 4 lanes wide for a few miles.

YouTube - ‪3rd Annual Nova Cruise and Shop Tour‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive